20 Controversies From the 2015 NHL Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
From what I'm reading....

A team that you don't like loses a player to a questionable hit "Was the cleanest hit ever".

Your team loses a player from a questionable hit "Was the dirtiest hit ever"

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
If people really think so, they should man up. It's as offensive as the "refs, you suck" chant.

It's just funny word-play on a name being similar to a female celebrity.

So it would be just as hysterical if they had been chanting "Matthew Perry"?

It's insinuating that a hockey player has the qualities of - gasp! - a girl. If you don't see the inherent sexism in that (and based on your assertion that I, and others, should "man up", you clearly don't), then I don't know where to begin.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Refereeing has been abysmal. The players know they can get away with stuff because the refs aren't calling anything.

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010

It's insinuating that a hockey player has the qualities of - gasp! - a girl. If you don't see the inherent sexism in that (and based on your assertion that I, and others, should "man up", you clearly don't), then I don't know where to begin.

it was a harmless joke to try and knock Perry off his game, silly thing to get all huffy about imo. There is a reason there are no women in the NHL and it ain't because of their designated sex but rather their physiological makeup.

Some of the best hockey players I know happen to be female but after a certain point when the intensity turned up very few were able to raise their game to the level of everyone else around them or handle the increasing physicality when things got tough. (the ones who could ended up playing NCAA WD1, some winning national championships). I'm not saying that there will never be a woman in the NHL, but it would take a very special lady to get it done.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I agree, if you're really that offended by a Katy Perry chant... well, you need to take a serious look at the bigger picture.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
it was a harmless joke to try and knock Perry off his game, silly thing to get all huffy about imo. There is a reason there are no women in the NHL and it ain't because of their designated sex but rather their physiological makeup.

Some of the best hockey players I know happen to be female but after a certain point when the intensity turned up very few were able to raise their game to the level of everyone else around them or handle the increasing physicality when things got tough. (the ones who could ended up playing NCAA WD1, some winning national championships). I'm not saying that there will never be a woman in the NHL, but it would take a very special lady to get it done.

Or likely she would have to be a goaltender. Not trying to be sexist at all. I apologize if it comes off that way. But I see no issue with a woman being able to play goalie at the NHL level. Playing the other positions could get a little rough, honestly. But I'll never say never. It could happen one day, and I wouldn't mind at all.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Agreed, except when the name caller gets confronted.

Dude was warned. He was smug and should have had his jaw broken.

I don't care that people complain that people are offended by their offensive comments but when they get the **** kicked out of them for it, its a ****ing miracle how fast they tuck tail.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW

See, I don't get that at all. IMHO the insult is not because Katy Perry is a girl. The name happens to jive and the insinuation is that Katy Perry proper probably can't play hockey any better than the guys who sit alone in their parents basement wearing sweat-stained wifebeaters and talk crap about hockey players on the internet (we can smell our own).

The implication "like a girl" would mean that somewhere out there someone might call Antoinne Rousell "Rousey", who is a girl. The insult doesn't fly because Rousey could probably wipe the floor with Rousell. Now, call Antoinne Rousell "Antoinne Merriwether" (Which I've used to insult Antoinne Vermette many times), and that's a bonafied insult--and if you're old enough to remember that character, you'll know it's definitly not a girl.

Besdies, the converse is true. If you wanted to insult Kary Perry or Celine Dion, You could always compare their vocal ablility to the vocal ability of Corey Perry or Dion Phanuf--except you won't have the PC brigade up in arms for that insult.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto

Women are much worse than men at hockey at the top level. Calling Perry a girls name is derogatory because of this fact. Just like calling a ref blind is derogatory because blind people are much worse at reffing than people who can see.

I don't understand what your offended with.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I don't understand what your offended with.

Who says I'm offended? I'm just pointing out that calling someone a woman, with the insinuation that being a woman is "bad", is sexist. And I'm having a hell of a lot of fun watching you guys do mental gymnastics and contortions to try to save face and justify it not being sexist (while deflecting by suggesting that I'm "part of the PC brigade" and need not be listened to for it), rather than just admitting that it's sexist.

If you think it's funny, fine. If you want to chant along, go ahead. Hell, one of my favourite scenes in Scrubs is when Cox, unable to think of a girl's name to call JD, literally calls him "Girlsname". Yeah it's sexist, but it's also funny. I'm not in a glass house flinging rocks around. To quote Jake Peralta, "stuff can be two things". Just don't stick your head in the sand because a little critical thinking makes you uncomfortable.

kaner13

Mar 27, 2011
Who says I'm offended? I'm just pointing out that calling someone a woman, with the insinuation that being a woman is "bad", is sexist. And I'm having a hell of a lot of fun watching you guys do mental gymnastics and contortions to try to save face and justify it not being sexist (while deflecting by suggesting that I'm "part of the PC brigade" and need not be listened to for it), rather than just admitting that it's sexist.

If you think it's funny, fine. If you want to chant along, go ahead. Hell, one of my favourite scenes in Scrubs is when Cox, unable to think of a girl's name to call JD, literally calls him "Girlsname". Yeah it's sexist, but it's also funny. I'm not in a glass house flinging rocks around. To quote Jake Peralta, "stuff can be two things". Just don't stick your head in the sand because a little critical thinking makes you uncomfortable.

Sure sounds like a hell of a time! :yo:

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
What was the penalty the Senators got with two men being thrown out of the face off? And it was the first time the rule was ever enforced - or in the playoffs at least?

I thought that was ridiculous.

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010
Or likely she would have to be a goaltender. Not trying to be sexist at all. I apologize if it comes off that way. But I see no issue with a woman being able to play goalie at the NHL level. Playing the other positions could get a little rough, honestly. But I'll never say never. It could happen one day, and I wouldn't mind at all.

That is what I am thinking, and no, that is simply not a sexist thing to say. For the record I would love to see a woman who can really hang with the guys at the elite and professional levels

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
However all these people complaining that everyone is so pc or too sensitive are the most pathetic. NO BIGGER COWARD THAN THE ONE THAT COMPLAINS THAT OTHERS ARE COMPLAINING. Thats just a fact. Don't like what they are complaining about? Don't pay attention to them or don't change. The second you complain about people complaining you are the biggest coward in the room. its pathetic.

What does that make the one who's complaining about the ones who complain about the complainers? This is interesting stuff.

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
For what it's worth, I agree with you.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
I don't think the chant is inherently sexist. IMO, the "If his last name were Bieber" argument does have merit. However, Bettman gave a tactless answer in which he basically presented every argument why the chant was sexist. Therein lies the problem.

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
I don't think the chant is inherently sexist. IMO, the "If his last name were Bieber" argument does have merit. However, Bettman gave a tactless answer in which he basically presented every argument why the chant was sexist. Therein lies the problem.
In isolation, a case can be made that it isn't sexist. But in context, can we really doubt that it is? A very common way to insult a player, especially when that player is not seen as tough or aggressive, is to turn their name feminine. Cindy Crosby, and so on.

Regardless, I agree that the major controversy here is not the chant itself, but the fact that Bettman refused to acknowledge that a problem exists.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Dude was warned. He was smug and should have had his jaw broken.

I don't care that people complain that people are offended by their offensive comments but when they get the **** kicked out of them for it, its a ****ing miracle how fast they tuck tail.

It's pathetic that someone is so sensitive and emotionally-weak to get so bent out of shape over being called a different name.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

I don't understand why people are giving you a hard time. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad