Speculation: 20/21 Season Roster Talk @ Line Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
To me the Harrington deal, while it may be high, it’s maybe only 0.3M high? It seems like a small price to pay to have someone reliable available to eat up 15-16 minutes an not get exposed whenever he may be needed. I definitely think he would get claimed by any number of teams desperate for help with D depth. Even retaining a small percentage of that makes it a desirable contract that someone would trade for. He has quietly gotten better year after year after leaving Toronto.

That sounds about right for Harrington, and about right for what he can bring as a steady 6/7 D-man. Maybe I'd say .5m too high. The issue I have is that Harrington ought to be more like our #8 or #9D. I think Kukan and Peeke are about as good regularly and happen to have the tools to grow into something better.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That sounds about right for Harrington, and about right for what he can bring as a steady 6/7 D-man. Maybe I'd say .5m too high. The issue I have is that Harrington ought to be more like our #8 or #9D. I think Kukan and Peeke are about as good regularly and happen to have the tools to grow into something better.
Concur. It's not that he's bad per se; it's that we have better.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
How was Gus for you this season? Seems like he fit in pretty well?

I was pretty pleased. Seemed to fit well in the locker room and was a good leader for a young team. Overall was pretty productive, though he slumped a bit in the middle of the season. I’d say he played up to his contract this year, which it’s hard to ask for much more from a prominent UFA signing.

Reactions: thrillhous

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
How was Gus for you this season? Seems like he fit in pretty well?

Yes, pretty much as advertised. He lost his goal scoring touch and seemed frustrated by it but he adapted to more of a skilled playmaker niche, which the Jackets were definitely in need of. He set up Bjorkstrand and Dubois many times each and was the best empty net goal scorer.

Reactions: thrillhous

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I was pretty pleased. Seemed to fit well in the locker room and was a good leader for a young team. Overall was pretty productive, though he slumped a bit in the middle of the season. I’d say he played up to his contract this year, which it’s hard to ask for much more from a prominent UFA signing.

I was in the Zuccarello camp until he demanded that extra year, and it looks like the Jackets dodged a bullet by backing out of that pursuit. Nyquist was a bit better and has a much easier contract to handle.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Yeah Gus was pretty consistently the second or third best forward this season. Along with Dubois, Bjorkstrand, and Atkinson, he can pretty easily be penciled into the top 6 going into next year.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
With the flat cap and a lack of scoring in our system, what do you guys think about making a play for LW Dominik Kubalik from Chicago?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
With the flat cap and a lack of scoring in our system, what do you guys think about making a play for LW Dominik Kubalik from Chicago?

Chicago will unload Saad and Strome before moving Kubalik. And if you mean offer sheets, I think Cirelli would be a better target for that. I don't see snipers on the wing as our issue. We need play drivers / play makers.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Chicago will unload Saad and Strome before moving Kubalik. And if you mean offer sheets, I think Cirelli would be a better target for that. I don't see snipers on the wing as our issue. We need play drivers / play makers.

I can't think Tampa will let Cirelli go. But he'd be perfect.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
We need a playmaker at our #2 center, and for our power play. I really like the addition of Seth on the half wall, it has added stability but we still don't get enough shots off. A Centre that can score is what is missing from our top 6. Potentially a scorer at LW too would be nice, scorers at any position would be nice, and every spot in the top 6 other than PLD is up for grabs in my opinion. Playoff game #2 really showed our weakness with puck possession and sniper scoring. Toronto didn't fear anyone - it was the first time I really missed Bread.. but given a choice I'd rather have Zbad from the Rangers. Everyone at the forward position can be upgraded on our team/ we are putting way too much pressure on our defensemen to have to score. That should be a luxury not the mainstay. We are built from the goal out.. now it is time to get scoring. In Tampa Torts had St Louis and Vinny Lecavalier..

I doubt Jarmo and Torts expected the scoring from Cam and Andy to fall off the cliff, (and other than Bjork and Zach) no one really stepped up to score goals.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
We need a playmaker at our #2 center, and for our power play. I really like the addition of Seth on the half wall, it has added stability but we still don't get enough shots off. A Centre that can score is what is missing from our top 6. Potentially a scorer at LW too would be nice, scorers at any position would be nice, and every spot in the top 6 other than PLD is up for grabs in my opinion. Playoff game #2 really showed our weakness with puck possession and sniper scoring. Toronto didn't fear anyone - it was the first time I really missed Bread.. but given a choice I'd rather have Zbad from the Rangers. Everyone at the forward position can be upgraded on our team/ we are putting way too much pressure on our defensemen to have to score. That should be a luxury not the mainstay. We are built from the goal out.. now it is time to get scoring. In Tampa Torts had St Louis and Vinny Lecavalier..

I doubt Jarmo and Torts expected the scoring from Cam and Andy to fall off the cliff, (and other than Bjork and Zach) no one really stepped up to score goals.

The lw scorer it's why I thought of Kubalik that and Chicago has serious cap issues.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
The fact that Jarmo offered Bread 8 years at $10M makes me hopeful that we can land that scorer. Can you imagine how much better this team would have been with Bread this year? Our D can really outlet the puck, we just don't have the filthy stick handler that can bury that breakaway. Cam used to do it.. but think about all the breakaways that ended with the puck in the goalies crest. Maybe guys like Foudy and Robby can do it.. but a Pavel Bure 50 goal scorer on this team would be money.. if we could keep Torts from choking the guy to death.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

When were we in sniping position in that game? I think you were closer to the mark with the critique of our awful playmaking and possession game. We didn't have the puck so you can't blame the shooting ability.

My fear is that you bring another 25-30 goal finisher here and he becomes a 15-20 goal guy, just what has happened to the finishers we already have.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
When were we in sniping position in that game? I think you were closer to the mark with the critique of our awful playmaking and possession game. We didn't have the puck so you can't blame the shooting ability.

My fear is that you bring another 25-30 goal finisher here and he becomes a 15-20 goal guy, just what has happened to the finishers we already have.

Bread's production went up during his 2 years with the Jackets. We are currently paying way to much for guys that are not producing. I won't waste your time naming names.. but it is the usual suspects.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Bread's production went up during his 2 years with the Jackets. We are currently paying way to much for guys that are not producing. I won't waste your time naming names.. but it is the usual suspects.

I think you missed my point. A Panarin type playmaker is what we need. Not a Kubalik type finisher that "can score 30 goals in the right situation", because that description applies to so many players we already have, and because we do not create the right situation. That's what the playmaking is for. Take note that Panarin's assists are what jumped up in Columbus, his goal scoring actually went down slightly.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Thanks for the clarification, and I totally agree with what you stated. Bread could have had a much better hockey result this year if he had just stayed put - "bright lights, big city" all for a girl tsk tsk.
Chances he’d score more points in our defensive minded team are almost zero. He’d play at least one more play in game though

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Chances he’d score more points in our defensive minded team are almost zero. He’d play at least one more play in game though

Torts reasoning for going hyper-defensive this year was because Panarin was leaving. In any case, when Panarin was on the ice he was always allowed to do whatever he wanted. With PLD and Bjorkstrand improving I think he could have scored much more here than he did before.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
The outlet passes / PP possession all would have gone through him. He would have lifted PLD and Bjork, and Cam again, and with our defense scoring more Artemi could have owned this city. Also, Foligno would have been on the 3rd line where he is reasonably good. C'est la vie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->