Speculation: 20/21 Season Roster Talk @ Line Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Outside of face-offs, coming out of juniors, the scouting reports are both similar: fast, great defensively, team captains, "questionable offensive ability", 1st PK unit. Seen comparisons to Dylan Larkin as well. Or could be just me. :)
I kind of get what you are saying but to me its not just what they do but how they do it. Bergeron was much more of a playmaker with great vision and a worse skater. He had much better awareness and achieved things through smarts and positioning where Foudy has good defensive awareness but obviously his speed is what allows him to do what he does at a high level.
Most of Foudys success will hinge on how he can finish at the next level because his speed will create chances. His shot can be improved easily but doesnt mean his ability to finish can. Im in the thinking Foudy can actually be a better NHLer than junior player where the overall game is faster but I see nothing to show any Bergeron comparisons present or future. Maybe he can be like a non physical Kris Kreider where hes more of a goal scorer but has playmaking ability vs the usual comparisn of a Michael Grabner who lives and dies on the PK and finishing breakaway oppurtunities

Reactions: majormajor

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Name a team that has won a Stanley Cup by signing their core players to bridge deals. The only thing Jarmo is doing for the sake of cap space is bridging these guys straight to UFA.

That's not how bridge deals work. The purpose of them is to avoid that scenario.

Dubois, Gavrikov, Anderson.

Elvis got much more than I thought, I’m nervous what PLD and Gavi get.

Dubois will get paid. Gavrikov will get a nice extension. If Anderson is still here he'll get a raise. But other than Dubois nobody is going to jump that significantly.

So he’s basically Wennberg, just making 4 million less :sarcasm:

I think Wennberg will end up being the better player, personally. Fairly even in terms of offensive production, maybe slight edge to Wennberg, with Wennberg far superior defensively.

I would describe Foudy the same way skills wise, but nonetheless I think he's possibly already a very useful player, perhaps more useful than half our forwards. I don't think he'll be a big scorer but he can be valuable as a guy on any line that tilts the ice and feeds others. He was just named London Knights MVP over McMichael, a guy who had 34 points more than him. He played really well for us in those two games. I'm sure you saw the wistful way Torts was talking about him when he had to go back to London.

And as far as the skills that he lacks, it all happens to be stuff players get from long hours with skills coaches. That or he'll never get it. But either way it's not stuff that the AHL is going to give him better than the NHL will.

Oh I agree. I think he's a useful player. In some ways he's like Jenner, he brings a certain aspect to the team that you need. For Jenner its grit, for Foudy its his speed and his mind. He may not be offensively gifted enough to make plays himself, but it might free up opportunities for others. I think he's an NHL player, but not next year unless Anderson is off the roster. They could play him in a 4th line role, but is that good for him? Bemstrom didn't seem to benefit from it.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Dubois will get paid. Gavrikov will get a nice extension. If Anderson is still here he'll get a raise. But other than Dubois nobody is going to jump that significantly.
The team needs an elite level offensive player though, there will be no room for that.

I think Wennberg will end up being the better player, personally. Fairly even in terms of offensive production, maybe slight edge to Wennberg, with Wennberg far superior defensively.
I don’t think it will be difficult for Foudy to score more than Wennberg, who is a soft BigLots version of Andrew Shaw.

Foudy has been known through juniors for great defensive play, and led the Jackets in Corsi (although his sample size was 2). FAR SUPERIOR? To me it feels like that’s been the narrative on Wennberg amongst fans to cope with his contract, but has he even gotten 1 selke vote? Dubinsky and Saad have, both as Jackets..

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The team needs an elite level offensive player though, there will be no room for that.

I don’t think it will be difficult for Foudy to score more than Wennberg, who is a soft BigLots version of Andrew Shaw.

Foudy has been known through juniors for great defensive play, and led the Jackets in Corsi (although his sample size was 2). FAR SUPERIOR? To me it feels like that’s been the narrative on Wennberg amongst fans to cope with his contract, but has he even gotten 1 selke vote? Dubinsky and Saad have, both as Jackets..

Through free agency? No there’s no room. Through trades? Plenty of room. Which is how we have to get our stars anyway, unless we plan on going in on Taylor Hall.

I think Foudy and Wennberg will have nearly identical point totals. I’m going to write off Wennberg’s breakout year as an aberration, and doing that he becomes a fairly consistent 30 point guy. That’s about what I have Foudy at.

Selke is a popularity contest, as is most of the media given awards. If Foudy matches Wennberg defensively, then great. We have a cheaper version of him and we can explore trading him or buying him out. If he’s better, that’s great as well. I personally think Wennberg will be a slightly better player, but I still think Foudy has an NHL career.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Oh I agree. I think he's a useful player. In some ways he's like Jenner, he brings a certain aspect to the team that you need. For Jenner its grit, for Foudy its his speed and his mind. He may not be offensively gifted enough to make plays himself, but it might free up opportunities for others.

Yes, I like the Jenner comparison in terms of overall impact and skills.

I think he's an NHL player, but not next year unless Anderson is off the roster.

Foudy's a left shot LW/C. But I take it you mean the forward numbers squeeze with Anderson still there? I expect Foudy in the 12F for next year, possibly at 4LW.

They could play him in a 4th line role, but is that good for him? Bemstrom didn't seem to benefit from it.

Perhaps I'm not being practical here, but I think it's sometimes better to ask "does Torts trust the player yet?" rather than just focusing on which line they're penciled in on. 12 mins 4th line is great for a rookie, 6 is not, and that's just about who Torts trusts. I think he loves Foudy, and the kid is built for the PK too so I'm inclined to think he'll get a lot of shifts. That and Foudy - x - Robinson would be an absolute terror!

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
That's not how bridge deals work. The purpose of them is to avoid that scenario

When contracts like Werenski's are signed with escalating base salaries it's usually the intent of the player to get to UFA waters as quick as possible. He didn't sign that contract for a lower AAV than he could have got on a long term deal because he's a swell fellow who puts the team first, he signed it to get to UFA as soon as possible and got a contract structure that does that.

Note- That doesn't mean Werenski (or anyone who signs a similar deal structure) wants out of Cbus. It simply means he wants to get to UFA status as soon as possible to maximize his earnings potential.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
What's the deal with Gabriel Carlsson? Has he been getting pushed down the depth chart for Columbus?

Yes. By Gavrikov and Peeke specifically. He never built on his solid (although not standout) playoff appearance of a few years back and has stalled in his development.

Visit the Affiliates thread to see what Cleveland fans think of him in the last couple seasons, but I think it's been generally positive at that level. He's had brief stints in Columbus the past few seasons but hasn't shown enough to stick or push anyone.

He's 10-ish on the depth chart at this point.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Yes. By Gavrikov and Peeke specifically. He never built on his solid (although not standout) playoff appearance of a few years back and has stalled in his development.

Visit the Affiliates thread to see what Cleveland fans think of him in the last couple seasons, but I think it's been generally positive at that level. He's had brief stints in Columbus the past few seasons but hasn't shown enough to stick or push anyone.

He's 10-ish on the depth chart at this point.

Interesting, he's someone the Devils should probably try to target if he's available. The left side of our defense is barren.

Probably a deal that could be worked out there. Devils have quite a few forward prospects and will soon run out of opportunities for them them. Someone like Seney could work with a swap as he's earned an NHL opportunity the Devils just can't give.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Interesting, he's someone the Devils should probably try to target if he's available. The left side of our defense is barren.

Probably a deal that could be worked out there. Devils have quite a few forward prospects and will soon run out of opportunities for them them. Someone like Seney could work with a swap as he's earned an NHL opportunity the Devils just can't give.

I'd think most would be amenable to something.

Jarmo hoards defensemen. Plus we've got some contracts coming and expansion to cosnider.

Who knows?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'd think most would be amenable to something.

Jarmo hoards defensemen. Plus we've got some contracts coming and expansion to cosnider.

Who knows?

Will be interesting to see how it unfolds. With the young forwards up front and Blackwood at goaltender, Devils need to try to add defenders in the right age group (~23) to grow with the team. They should be somewhat aggressive this summer in doing so.

Sights should be set on better defenders, but a guy like Carlsson would be a smart, low-cost acquisition.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I'd be willing to give that a try.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'd be willing to give that a try.

He's a small, quick pesky forward with some skill. He's the type of guy that I can see slotting in well alongside two simple, heavier forwards and providing a different dynamic and creating some chaos with his speed. Devils just don't really have the situation to place him in.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He's a small, quick pesky forward with some skill. He's the type of guy that I can see slotting in well alongside two simple, heavier forwards and providing a different dynamic and creating some chaos with his speed. Devils just don't really have the situation to place him in.
I find myself intrigued by this. :thumbu:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Interesting player but I doubt the Jackets would be better placed to give Seney a shot. The team already has about 14 NHL forwards signed or RFA for next season, as well as a full set of AHL veterans. Seney seems like the type of player that might be best placed with a team with a thinner lineup, like Detroit.

If you want Carlsson, the best thing for the Jackets would be draft picks. The club is short on them. I don't know what Carlsson would be worth exactly. Maybe a 4th rounder, give or take a round. He still has some upside to him, we've already seen him play okay at the NHL level, it's just probably nothing we're short on.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
What's the deal with Gabriel Carlsson? Has he been getting pushed down the depth chart for Columbus?

Was wondering the same thing.

Going from appearing in five playoff games in 2016-17 when he came over from Sweden (admittedly the Jackets have a fairly deep blueline), but he appeared in just six NHL games this past season and is a restricted free agent at the end of the season.

Only turned 23 in January so I imagine he's still developing physically. Do the Jackets continue to bring him along or would he be a nice fit for a team in need of defense help?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Was wondering the same thing.

Going from appearing in five playoff games in 2016-17 when he came over from Sweden (admittedly the Jackets have a fairly deep blueline), but he appeared in just six NHL games this past season and is a restricted free agent at the end of the season.

Only turned 23 in January so I imagine he's still developing physically. Do the Jackets continue to bring him along or would he be a nice fit for a team in need of defense help?

He lost years of development battling back injuries.

Carlsson looks like an NHLer at times but has a lot of inconsistency in how he moves about the ice. Mobility was his best asset and at times he looks like a really good NHL prospect that gets around the ice quickly. Other games he looks like a plodding AHLer. I do think he'd make a good investment for a club that wants a young 6/7 D that might develop into something more. I don't see the Jackets really needing Carlsson so I would be happy if they got a 3rd or 4th rounder for him.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I could definitely see Carlsson being available. Jarmo is always pretty quick to sell prospects that get passed in the depth chart (Kolesar, Abramov, Davidsson, Rychel). He was fighting for the 6/7 spot before Gavrikov and Peeke entered the picture. I still have plenty of confidence that he can hang in the NHL but his development has been a little derailed by injuries and he’s stuck behind some serious depth. It’s pretty easy to predict this D group a few years out and it’s hard to find space for him in a meaningful manner. That being said, if the price isn’t right, I see no reason to move him when he’s solid insurance in the 8-10 range on the depth chart. Berni will be entering the picture soon too and someone will likely be on the move.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I could definitely see Carlsson being available. Jarmo is always pretty quick to sell prospects that get passed in the depth chart (Kolesar, Abramov, Davidsson, Rychel). He was fighting for the 6/7 spot before Gavrikov and Peeke entered the picture. I still have plenty of confidence that he can hang in the NHL but his development has been a little derailed by injuries and he’s stuck behind some serious depth. It’s pretty easy to predict this D group a few years out and it’s hard to find space for him in a meaningful manner. That being said, if the price isn’t right, I see no reason to move him when he’s solid insurance in the 8-10 range on the depth chart. Berni will be entering the picture soon too and someone will likely be on the move.

When does Carlsson have to go through waivers?

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
When does Carlsson have to go through waivers?

This is the last year of his ELC, so I'm assuming starting next season, unless I'm missing something. I do think it's likely he'd be claimed by someone, so it'd probably be a good idea to try to get a mid- or late-round pick from a team that wants him but wouldn't want him to risk him being picked up by someone else. Unless we end up trading one of our D and then maybe sending down Harrington (who would also likely be claimed) or Peeke instead of him or something. But as it stands now, he's 10th on our depth chart, which means even removing/surpassing one or two guys ahead of him would still probably have him Cleveland.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
This is the last year of his ELC, so I'm assuming starting next season, unless I'm missing something. I do think it's likely he'd be claimed by someone, so it'd probably be a good idea to try to get a mid- or late-round pick from a team that wants him but wouldn't want him to risk him being picked up by someone else. Unless we end up trading one of our D and then maybe sending down Harrington (who would also likely be claimed) or Peeke instead of him or something. But as it stands now, he's 10th on our depth chart, which means even removing/surpassing one or two guys ahead of him would still probably have him Cleveland.

Correct, starting next season Carlsson will need to go through waivers and would likely be claimed. The biggest problem I see with Carlsson is he looks like the exact same player he was four years ago, a guy who hasn't developed at all so at times he looks like he belongs in the NHL and at times he looks like he is a bottom pairing AHL dman.

As for Harrington...I'm not sure he would be claimed. He's bottom pairing at best on most of the teams in the league and most teams aren't going to pay $1.6m AAV for a bottom pairing dman. Out of all the contracts Jarmo has inked guys to the past few seasons his remains to me the biggest what the heck Jarmo.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Correct, starting next season Carlsson will need to go through waivers and would likely be claimed. The biggest problem I see with Carlsson is he looks like the exact same player he was four years ago, a guy who hasn't developed at all so at times he looks like he belongs in the NHL and at times he looks like he is a bottom pairing AHL dman.

As for Harrington...I'm not sure he would be claimed. He's bottom pairing at best on most of the teams in the league and most teams aren't going to pay $1.6m AAV for a bottom pairing dman. Out of all the contracts Jarmo has inked guys to the past few seasons his remains to me the biggest what the heck Jarmo.

To me the Harrington deal, while it may be high, it’s maybe only 0.3M high? It seems like a small price to pay to have someone reliable available to eat up 15-16 minutes an not get exposed whenever he may be needed. I definitely think he would get claimed by any number of teams desperate for help with D depth. Even retaining a small percentage of that makes it a desirable contract that someone would trade for. He has quietly gotten better year after year after leaving Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad