GDT: 2 Yutes: Blue Jackets @ Devils, 12:30 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I look at the lineup and don't see a lack of grit. Coleman, Wood, Boyle Vat's Lovejoy. Hall is not a guy who I would say plays soft.

I don't think Nico or Bratt play soft, but they are certainly not the biggest guys and they are young, so they can be pushed around a bit.

True but outside of Coleman I am not seeing anyone who isn’t playing soft. Last year Hall wasn’t afraid to finish a check. Not seeing that this year.

Wood I don’t even know what to do with.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
M
Because they have to rely too much on effort and emotion rather than natural talent and ability. It’s hard to go 100% when you don’t believe in the system and you don’t see much hope of success for your efforts. Last season the players made the effort in part because it was working and the extra bumps and bruises don’t hurt as much when you are fighting for playoff seeding and the crowd is cheering for you. Hopefully they can get a few lucky bounces and start believing in themselves again to get them to start going the extra mile. Some like Coleman and Seney seem to be making that effort all the time. I think Nico does as well in his own way (he is like the energizer bunny out there no matter how much he is hit sticked and outright cheap shorted). Others do at times - Boyle and Sevs seem to fit that style - others may be trying but are in vapor lock and look effortless - Wood and to a lesser extent PZ. Hall and Palms are trying but having to carry the entire offense and team failure every day has to be wearing on them.

Problem is this kind of lack of effort started at game 10 when they were very much in the middle of the playoff pack

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Here's my list of issues.

1)Goaltending.
2)lack of a #1 d-man. I think Vat's can be a top pair guy if he's with a true #1, but he can't carry a top pairing. Sticking him with a kid like Mueller, who I thought played pretty well, but is not a top pairing guy, is just not enough

3)Zacha's lack of production. He's our #2 center. He has 5 points, that's a major issue. I think his play has not been bad, but the lack of production is.

Reactions: Bleedred and JK3

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Yes our goaltenders have been poor and have given up some super buttery soft ones oof, but no goalie, past, present or future is stopping those first two goals (maybe the second one on some crazy ass desperation flop). Yes other teams have their share of gaffs but the amount of blown coverage, open looks, odd man rushes and backdoor layup tap ins this defense gives up on a nightly basis is disgusting.

Kinkaid actually had an above league average save % going into December. Anyone is eventually going to crumble playing with this shit show in front of them. It's beyond me that any Devils fan, especially of any of the older teams, could look at how this team defends, and even remotely think that they're somewhat competent.

You can see it when Kinkaid is hung out to dry over and over, he's getting into bush league Lundqvist tantrum territory out there but you can see he's visibly frustrated with this gong show. I'm not trying to be a goaltender apologist, it's definitely a big issue but it's not the only thing that's killing this team.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Defense and goaltending are both issues. Yes, the defense is a mess, but at some point you need your goalie to make a save. And I'm not saying that to throw Kinkaid under the bus. It's not his fault he's been pressed into being a starter. Considering his actual ability he's done an admirable job. A better defense would certainly help him, but I'm still skeptical about him being a 50+ game starter.

Reactions: Bleedred

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Defense and goaltending are both issues. Yes, the defense is a mess, but at some point you need your goalie to make a save. And I'm not saying that to throw Kinkaid under the bus. It's not his fault he's been pressed into being a starter. Considering his actual ability he's done an admirable job. A better defense would certainly help him, but I'm still skeptical about him being a 50+ game starter.
I REALLY hope we dont overpay for Bobrovsky

Reactions: Bleedred

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
I REALLY hope we dont overpay for Bobrovsky
I seriously doubt Ray does that. If he suddenly splurges it wouldnt be for a goalie. Especially after all the flack he got when he drafted Blackwood so high. He wants Mckenzie to have every opportunity to be a starter...he won't do that sitting behind bob for 6-7 yrs.

I honestly think Cory get's another shot next year especially if his injury really is still lingering he'll get the benefit of the doubt, it's a costly buyout so to be able to knock another year off it would be preferred. If Ray does get rid of Cory in whichever way I could see Ray going after someone like Varlamov for 2 or so years to pair with Blackwood if McKenzie has a good rest of the year.

I don't see a scenario where Kinkaid is here next year.

JK3

Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra

I definitely agree with this, he wouldn't be a starter pretty much anywhere else but he could still be effective in a platoon splitting games. Unfortunately we're down to bare bones with Cory who's toast at this point and the backups backup Lack injured as well. We're down to Blackwood, I just hope throwing him into this mess doesn't ruin him.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
I definitely agree with this, he wouldn't be a starter pretty much anywhere else but he could still be effective in a platoon splitting games. Unfortunately we're down to bare bones with Cory who's toast at this point and the backups backup Lack injured as well. We're down to Blackwood, I just hope throwing him into this mess doesn't ruin him.

PTO G Charles Williams was released to the ECHL with PTO F Conor Riley and F John Edwardh going back to Adirondack. Not sure if those are just holiday roster moves that will be reversed after the break but someone will have to back up Cam Johnson on Wednesday. Lack could be ready to return.

JK3

Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
PTO G Charles Williams was released to the ECHL with PTO F Conor Riley and F John Edwardh going back to Adirondack. Not sure if those are just holiday roster moves that will be reversed after the break but someone will have to back up Cam Johnson on Wednesday. Lack could be ready to return.

Thanks for the update. I could see Lack coming up (depending on Cory's status of course) after he gets some starts and after we see how Blackwood fairs with a few games up here as well.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Problem is this kind of lack of effort started at game 10 when they were very much in the middle of the playoff pack
Strangely, I don't agree with this. I don't fee we show a lack of effort... at least not until we feel the game is out of hand. In fact, I feel the opposite. We're trying to do TOO MUCH. The D is chasing the puck carrier instead of covering the off wing. They're trying to hold the zone in dangerous situations to produce offense and getting burned. Even the own-goals are a product if trying to block the puck when they really shouldn't be. Meanwhile, the offense is trying to force plays when they're not there. Hall and Vats are trying too many dekes and turning over the puck. Wood is... I dunno what Wood is doing, but it doesn't look like he's just coasting.

As for goaltending, even Hasek wouldn't be able to get most of those back door goals. We're leaving them hung out to dry.

We may suck, but I just don't see it as lack of effort, rather poor decision making and trying to do other playre's jobs, most probably stemming from ambiguity in assignments which, to me, falls squarely on the coaching. Even if you think the coaching is OK (which I actually do), it's pretty obvious to me that the players have tuned them out when they make the same mistakes over and over and over again. It's time for a change there.

Reactions: JK3

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Definitely a lack of effort to get to the dirty areas. Win puck battles. Get to the net. Protect the house.

There has to be a willingness to get a little physical and many nights they aren’t willing. We aren’t a team that can afford to be out competed yet it happens a lot.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
At this point just roll with Kinkaid. Hope he regains his form. I think he can be an average starter on a solid team with some structure. Since the beginning of last season he is pretty much interchangeable with any goalie outside the top 15. On a 1 million dollar contract.He definitely is not the biggest problem on this team but he is not the solution either.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Kinkaid was 5-3-1 with a .893 with a 3.49 gaa at this point last season. His confidence is shot but he’s still a big athletic goalie on a budget contract.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Here's my list of issues.

1)Goaltending.
2)lack of a #1 d-man. I think Vat's can be a top pair guy if he's with a true #1, but he can't carry a top pairing. Sticking him with a kid like Mueller, who I thought played pretty well, but is not a top pairing guy, is just not enough

3)Zacha's lack of production. He's our #2 center. He has 5 points, that's a major issue. I think his play has not been bad, but the lack of production is.

#1 poor defensemen, who can not defend in their own zone.
#2 failure of the coaching staff to build upon anything or instill confidence
#3 players not prepared to play/playing to their ability.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Just watch this game. Didn't expect much and didn't get much. Same old stuff from a team with less talent than any in the Conference. Where was the rebuild from last season to this season?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I seriously doubt Ray does that. If he suddenly splurges it wouldnt be for a goalie. Especially after all the flack he got when he drafted Blackwood so high. He wants Mckenzie to have every opportunity to be a starter...he won't do that sitting behind bob for 6-7 yrs.

I honestly think Cory get's another shot next year especially if his injury really is still lingering he'll get the benefit of the doubt, it's a costly buyout so to be able to knock another year off it would be preferred. If Ray does get rid of Cory in whichever way I could see Ray going after someone like Varlamov for 2 or so years to pair with Blackwood if McKenzie has a good rest of the year.

I don't see a scenario where Kinkaid is here next year.
If Cory is back next year, it can absolutely not be as the starter. Because assuming Cory is not permanently broke and not as bad as he’s been this year, he’s no better than Kinkaid has been this year. That’s exactly what he’s been the last 100 games. So assuming Cory is somewhat serviceable and not the completely non-serviceable guy we’ve seen this year, he’s really no better than Kinkaid anymore. They’re a wash at the very best.

And if our starter next year is no better than Kinkaid, we’re gonna be seeing the same things again. We’re gonna be as poor as we are this year come December (maybe a little better, assuming whoever the backup is next year is better than Cory has been this year, which will be next to impossible not to be) of next year. And we’re gonna be reading another “well, I can’t tell you our goaltending is outstanding, or you’d be asking me what the hell is this guy talking about?” From Shero again after he should have known better. Hynes might actually resign and quit before he gets fired if that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad