Proposal: 2-on-1 Shootouts

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
I'd like to propose a 2-on-1 shootout format based on the following rules:
  • Offensive team has two skaters and start with the puck at center ice.
  • Defensive team has 1 skater and a goaltender.

Currently the 1-on-none format eliminates the defensive and passing elements of the game, rewarding teams with elite scorers and those who are lucky. This is an unnecessary deviation from the purest form of hockey.

Possible Benefits of 2-on-1 shootout format:
  • Defense can be included in the shootout
  • Passing can be included in the shootout
  • Coaching/Strategy (more so than 1-on-none format) can be included with pairing decisions, defensemen selections, etc.).
  • Just as exciting as the current format - if not more exciting for fans

Questions/Issues:
  • Does the offensive team get one attempt? Or is the shootout time based (15 seconds, 30 seconds, etc.)?
  • Can the defenseman score? Does the shootout attempt end if the puck is cleared from the zone? Or after change of possession?
  • Will this take longer (each attempt, picking players, etc.)?
  • Are injuries more likely if defenseman are brought onto the ice?

Assuming reasonable answers to these questions/issues can be found, I think this is an interesting alternative to the current shootout format. This is an issue that has been bugging me for some time because, while it is suspenseful, there's something missing from each shootout attempt. It doesn't just apply to hockey but could benefit soccer as well. I'm just curious what others would think about this idea and if it would be a welcomed change or at least a consideration.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
The issue is that defencemen would play these two-on-ones perfectly, and it would be even harder to score a goal. It would be harder/take longer to conclude a game through this method. You mention that defencemen would be in a dangerous position, I'd also like to point out the goaltenders would be more vulnerable to injury in this situation. A lot of cross-crease movement would lead to an increase in groin injuries. When Carey Price participated in the 2009 Youngstars game, which is essentially a pass-a-thon, he wasn't even trying and he still got injured.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
The issue is that defencemen would play these two-on-ones perfectly, and it would be even harder to score a goal. It would be harder/take longer to conclude a game through this method. You mention that defencemen would be in a dangerous position, I'd also like to point out the goaltenders would be more vulnerable to injury in this situation. A lot of cross-crease movement would lead to an increase in groin injuries. When Carey Price participated in the 2009 Youngstars game, which is essentially a pass-a-thon, he wasn't even trying and he still got injured.

I agree. In a situation where a 2 on 1 is guaranteed to happen, and the defenseman is prepared, he can simply take the passing lane away and leave the shooter to the goalie on a bad angle shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad