GDT: #2| New York Islanders @ Tampa Bay Lightning | September 9th | 8:00 PM | F/L 2-1

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Well, here we are. Isles let Tampa know this won't be that easy. Maybe get some bounces in game (3) and if Point is playing do the "Nelson" on him too. Hopefully Johnston gets in the lineup, and we continue the heavy play. That's all I got

Reactions: Duanesutter12

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Tampa invited us back into the series and we still couldn’t take one. Wouldn’t be surprised if we get swept now. These guys blew it last night

Reactions: wingnutks

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Simple story...

- Got the job done on the PK
- Did not get the job done on the PP
- Got the job done in the puck possession and attack zone time departments
- Did not get the job done on the scoreboard

TBL notes:
- The Lightning are indeed looking a lot tougher than in recent years, but not necessarily in an "honorable" manner. Maybe I'm wearing blue & orange colored glasses, but these hits like the elbow on Cizikas from Coleman in Game 1, the Killorn check from behind on Nelson, and later the Goodrow punch to the back of the head on Nelson are looking fairly commonplace - and they're cheapass bullshit. That's how guys who can't do things fairly be tough. And they have to pay in the form of PP goals against, or it doesn't stop. Orrrrr, when you're on the PP, you dump and chase, and beat the shit out of them while they're down a man.
- They're winning without Stamkos. They're winning despite 50 minutes without Killorn and 35 minutes without Point. This winning without key personnel worries me the most.
- It feels like Vasilevsky is going to be the biggest difference maker in the series.
- It's official, Hedman is a hockey god. The guy is just, well, unbeatable. So big, so strong, so smart, so good with the puck, so effective, so omnipresent - and it feels like he's on the ice 45 minutes a night.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Anyone else besides me wondering why Ladd made the bubble roster instead of Bellows or Wahlstrom? Might be nice to have a fresh-legged sniper-style player to go to right now . . .

Al Arbour never had a problem with inserting a kid. ONE PP snipe last night and we are even against a beaten up team.

Toews out, Greene-Dobson as the 3rd pair as Mayfield is paired with Leddy.

For those wanting Boychuck, remember that the only defender worse with the puck in our zone than Mayfield is Boychuck and Boychuck does not have Mayfield's skating speed. The Tampa forecheck will eat Boychuck alive. Dobson has offensive instincts AND IS FRESH LEGS. And he will SHOOT on a 3 on 1 when he has a clear path to the goal.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I didn't realize when Panarin signed with Rangers it probably cost us stanley cup

Well, Lee wouldn’t be here then. Guys like Panarin can be shutdown in playoff series, especially when they’re your only elite scorer. Guys like Lee tend to be harder to shutdown because their damage gets done in front of the net

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Anyone else besides me wondering why Ladd made the bubble roster instead of Bellows or Wahlstrom? Might be nice to have a fresh-legged sniper-style player to go to right now . . .

Al Arbour never had a problem with inserting a kid. ONE PP snipe last night and we are even against a beaten up team.

Toews out, Greene-Dobson as the 3rd pair as Mayfield is paired with Leddy.

For those wanting Boychuck, remember that the only defender worse with the puck in our zone than Mayfield is Boychuck and Boychuck does not have Mayfield's skating speed. The Tampa forecheck will eat Boychuck alive. Dobson has offensive instincts AND IS FRESH LEGS. And he will SHOOT on a 3 on 1 when he has a clear path to the goal.

My bigger concern was it hurt the possibility of them being able to stuff Ladd onto long term IR. Then playing him last night REALLY hurt that potential

Reactions: 12Dog

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
TBL notes:

- It's official, Hedman is a hockey god. The guy is just, well, unbeatable. So big, so strong, so smart, so good with the puck, so effective, so omnipresent - and it feels like he's on the ice 45 minutes a night.

And unlike the guy we drafted before him, is a winner who would likely not have left Tampa in free agency. Would have loved a do-over on that draft . . .

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I still think it is failing to accept that we just aren't there yet. Washington and Philly, fine; but TB is clearly the superior team. Yes, we dictated our style last night and competed (one could easily argue we outplayed them) and yet our lack of talent always shows in games like this. We need a sniper in the absolute worse way. Nelson getting wrung early didn't help, because it was not the same Brock we saw in game 1 from there on.

Ladd has no business even being on the ice. Dumbfounded on why Trotz even went that route. He offered little and seemed disinterested in even being there. The fourth line played huge, but the rest of the team underwhelmed.

I don't see a fix all to win this thing or even getting back in the series. Those last 30 seconds hurts worse than the 8-2 thumping we took in game one. Uncle Leo and Andrew are not answers, and neither is Ross and Tom for those who are clamoring for them. Personally, I would have stuck with Brassard; who at least was showing some life against Philly.

We outplayed all three of Florida, Washington and Philly for the majority of the series....and last night we did the same against TB. Can we sustain that and get back in it with a couple more goals here and there? I have serious doubts.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Outsider observation watching Pulock on the PP, I think one area he really needs to improve on is getting open properly to receive a pass for a one-timer. I don't know if he's being coached that way, or if it's a learning thing, but the difference between him and some of the elite PP point men is they seem to get open constantly to be fed one-timers. Pulock just sort of drifts to the left faceoff circle and waits to receive the pass, but doesn't adjust if the lane is being locked between him and whoever is holding the puck.

He's obviously got a rocket, in terms of pure ability to shoot. But watching him on the PP, I'm not sure he's got the (for lack of a better description) high end offensive awareness to find the open spots for the passers to get him the puck for an open shot. Guys who can fire it like Weber, Carlson, Karlsson, etc. don't just have hard shots. They also seem to be able to get open in order to receive the shots in a shooting spot.
I think you're onto something. He needs to be lighter on his skates. He should watch tennis to see how they move their feet to always be in position to move in any direction for the ball. Pulock is a little too planted and deliberate with his feet sometimes.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I disagree. If they focus more on getting puck toward the net instead of back along the boards, there’s a ton of room for improvement and honestly, that makes me very very hopeful. They always seem to be trying to make the pass that sets someone up with a completely empty net instead of just shooting and seeing what happens.
You're right in that we didn't shoot enough. We were trying to be a little to fine with the puck and get that one extra pass instead of taking an already high percentage shot. Many times it looked like we were trying to pass the puck into the net. But as far as smothering Tampa's high powered offense, we played a textbook game. That's as good as it gets.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Hedman is amazing

a lot of the Lightning players are obscenely good. Some of them are also dirty f***s

I expected the Lightning to win this series, so I’m not shocked it’s going how it is. This team NEEDS a pure scorer to throw on the PP. even 1 PP goal on the 5 minute major or 2 man advantage and it’s a different situation

they are WAAAYYYYY too passive on the PP. it’s sickening watching them skate around the perimeter passing the whole time. If you’re going to be making a ton of passes, at least TRY to set up a few one timers now and then to someone other than Pulock

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Also, Mayfield almost NEVER gets his shots from the point through to the net. Every time he has the puck and wants to shoot, I just know it’s going to be blocked

Reactions: Lek

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I wondered last night if we picked Hedman instead of Tavares, if he would be on our blueline right now.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
I don't see Toronto being anything for some reason despite the talent, there are depth issues all over the roster, which is why they choke.
New Jersey is going to be a very tough team they will probably hire Lavvy and they will be on their way
Rangers will slowly develop into something
Buffalo will need to get a real coach too they have a Cappy type
Ottawa is a long ways away... Chabot is just one player
Washington will probably hire Gallant and they will be on their way again

The waters are tough.. Evander Kane would help a lot I think... wonder what it would take to get him, provided Ladd ends up on Seattle. I think a guy like Tyson Barrie could help us he could come would not come cheap. Assume you deal Ladd to Seattle and send a first over there.. send Wahlstrom and Toews to Sharks for Kane, and sign Barrie. Mayfield gets lost in expansion. Andy Greene is kept on a cheap contract.

Kane/Barzal/Eberle
Beau/Nelson/Bailey
Lee/Pageau/Leo
MDC/Cizikas/Clutter

Pelech/Barrie
Leddy/Pulock
Greene/Dobson

We lose Martin I think he is a UFA, Brassard is gone too, same with Kuhnackl

There is not much on the UFA market that could be a sleeper maybe a cheap flyer on Vesey

Lou would never sign a player like Kane. Never.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Bottom line is Tampa is getting the goaltending. Unless something really falls off the rails the Islanders are going to struggle to get anything in the net.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Sure he would . . . he wore HV71 pajamas as a kid. That's well known!
Hedman was a TERRIBLE defenseman his first three years in the league but TB's ownership still gave him a 5yr/20M$ deal on his first contract because they saw the potential. I doubt very seriously that the Isles ownership/mgmt would have paid him given what he was doing on the ice and almost certainly would have traded him at the first opportunity. He was that bad.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Hedman was a TERRIBLE defenseman his first three years in the league but TB's ownership still gave him a 5yr/20M$ deal on his first contract because they saw the potential. I doubt very seriously that the Isles ownership/mgmt would have paid him given what he was doing on the ice and almost certainly would have traded him at the first opportunity. He was that bad.

After the Chara fiasco I disagree with that . . . the organization would have learned it's lesson

Reactions: Hanzzzz

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

I don't know where you are getting that. In his first 3 NHL seasons he was about a total -9 and had over 20 points each year. Similar season 4 and then at age 23 he really blossomed offensively.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
This is the pre-Malkin/Ledecky NY Islanders we're talking about. And unlike Chara, Hedman was really bad.

Chara's 1st 3 full years:

1998–99New York IslandersNHL5926883
1999–2000New York IslandersNHL65291157
2000–01New York IslandersNHL82279157
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Hedman more than doubled Chara's production in his 1st 3. Your memory is playing tricks on you. Many of us remember a Chara who had skating issues.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Also, Mayfield almost NEVER gets his shots from the point through to the net. Every time he has the puck and wants to shoot, I just know it’s going to be blocked
I’ve watched Mayfield closely for several years now and I disagree, I find he gets pucks to the net more often then not. He use his wrist shot often looking for the tip instead of looking for the slap shot.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY

Yeah I was about to say, Hedman was Zdeno Chara on the Islanders bad. There was nothing exciting about him and the Islanders under Garth Snow/Capuano and Weight wouldve dumped him in the minors and ruined his confidence or traded him. The Bolts have a strong management system that only NOW under our new ownership are we beginning to realize how important it is to have smart management that has a clue of what they are doing.

I still believe in this team. We are winning this series!

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Chara's 1st 3 full years:

1998–99New York IslandersNHL5926883
1999–2000New York IslandersNHL65291157
2000–01New York IslandersNHL82279157
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Hedman more than doubled Chara's production in his 1st 3. Your memory is playing tricks on you. Many of us remember a Chara who had skating issues.
My mind isn't playing tricks on me at all. It wasn't about Hedman's offensive ability. He was a defensive liability of the first magnitude who could not seem to get where he was supposed to be and what he was supposed to do and for a time it seemed he never would. The arrival of Rick Bowness in Tampa may have saved Hedman's career. That may be overstating things because he was that good offensively, but Bowness undoubtedly had a huge positive influence in making him the defensive stalwart he is today.

Reactions: Matt Watson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->