GDT: #2| New York Islanders @ Tampa Bay Lightning | September 9th | 8:00 PM | F/L 2-1

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
NEW YORK ISLANDERS VS TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

NEW YORK ISLANDERS AT TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

GM 2 | SEPT. 9 | 8 PM | ROGERS PLACE

WATCH: NBCSN | CBC | TVAS | NHL.TV

LISTEN: 88.7FM | 98.7 FM | 103.9 FM

Preview:

The beautiful thing about the NHL Playoffs is you cannot win or lose a series in game one. The New York Islanders have a great opportunity to even up the series and get back on track with a win tonight.

The Islanders looked lifeless in the worst performance of the postseason on Monday night. The pure speed and skill of the Lightning was something the Islanders have yet to see this postseason and it overpowered the blue and orange en route to an 8-2 Tampa win.

Giving up eight goals was tough for both Islanders players and fans alike, given that the Islanders take so much pride in their team defense, but history may be on the Islanders side. The last time the Isles gave up a snowman in the playoffs they did something historic.

Back on May 15th, 1980, the Islanders lost game two of the Stanley Cup Final to the Philadelphia Flyers 8-3. Then that famous team went on to make history in the coming games and brought the Stanley Cup home to Long Island.

Just like the team that started the famous dynasty, there is no reason for the Islanders to hit the panic button. Monday night was just ONE game and the Isles will be fine if they get back to their style of play.

xxxxx

Playoff Series History

2003-2004

2004 NHL Eastern Conference Quarter-Finals: NYI vs. TBL | Hockey-Reference.com

2015-2016

2016 NHL Eastern Second Round: NYI vs. TBL | Hockey-Reference.com

All Time Record VS Lightning

.....................ALL GAMES......................................................HOME...........................................................AWAY....................................................PLAYOFFS.....................
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
W-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-LWIN%GFPGGAPG
51-59-346.52.82.828-26-151.82.92.723-33-241.42.73.02-820.01.63.0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Probable Starting Goalies:

xxxxx

Possible Lineups:

xxx

Team Leaders:

xxxx​

Last edited:

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Took a mulligan on game 1. No big deal.

Even it up tonight. LGI!

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
I really hope game 1 was also a consequence of the Isles loosening up on their D game because they didnt need it during the Flyers series and they get back to smothering and frustrating.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Isles have shown these last two years that they will play hard when adversity strikes. Hopefully a few bounces, and we have a tied series. Maybe Tampa gets little loosey goosie. That's all I have. LGI!

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I really hope game 1 was also a consequence of the Isles loosening up on their D game because they didnt need it during the Flyers series and they get back to smothering and frustrating.

It was a consequence of a faster and more talented team than Philadelphia. The Islanders just spent seven games against a big and slow opponent whose only strategy was to flip the puck through the neutral zone to try and beat them. Sometimes you expect one thing and get hit with another, the first goal against Pulock is an example of this. Pulock was caught off guard by the speed because he just spent so much time keeping slow players like Hayes to the outside.

Big L

Feb 7, 2013
CT
It was a consequence of a faster and more talented team than Philadelphia. The Islanders just spent seven games against a big and slow opponent whose only strategy was to flip the puck through the neutral zone to try and beat them. Sometimes you expect one thing and get hit with another, the first goal against Pulock is an example of this. Pulock was caught off guard by the speed because he just spent so much time keeping slow players like Hayes to the outside.
Eh, Pulock has been a little off his game the last handful of games, too, I’d say.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Eh, Pulock has been a little off his game the last handful of games, too, I’d say.

Sure, but the rest of the defense hasn't and they were eaten alive by the speed of Tampa Bay. They exit their own end and move through the neutral zone much easier than Philadelphia because of the skill they have.

Big L

Feb 7, 2013
CT
Sure, but the rest of the defense hasn't and they were eaten alive by the speed of Tampa Bay. They exit their own end and move through the neutral zone much easier than Philadelphia because of the skill they have.
No question Tampa is a much, much more talented team than Philly.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I wonder if Trotz tries to up our tempo to skate better with TB (Kuhnhackl maybe?), or if he goes in another direction?

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
I thought Ross was doing pretty well and bringing the hits until his misconduct...then I knew he'd be sitting this game.

Do we know if Leo is scratched because he's hurt? If Clutter can't go I'd like to insert Leo for him and probably gonna be Kuhnhackl for Ross

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I expect the isles to open the first with a strong start, after being embarrassed.

Let's hope it's a 60 min effort. Let's go isles.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Shock prediction:

Dobson for Greene
Kuhnhackl for Johnston
Komarov for Clutterbuck if injured
The thought of inserting Dobson actually crossed my mind too, but I'd be surprised to see it this game (I know - you said "shock" which is more than "surprise" ;)). If TB's speed is an issue for the D again, then we could see Dobson IMO. But I do agree with your other 2 as the likely moves for this game.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I wonder if you see Boychuk at all during the playoffs - hard to take out Greene.

I can see Komarov getting reinserted into the line up. Johnston stays put if Cal can’t go.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->