GDT: #2: FLYERS vs. Devils, Wednesday, Oct. 9, 2019, 7:30 pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I'm not thrilled that Frost and Farabee aren't up yet. But I'm confident it won't be long, no matter what the original thought process was behind starting them in the A. I also don't like breaking up Couts and G, but that Lindblom-Couts-TK line was something to behold. At least for one game. Go team Cautiously Optimistic!
Seriously, when was the last time a line with Coots on it didn't look good?

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
yep, playing at a higher level in no way requires a greater level of speed, exertion, and risk. You know, Frost would be a just as high a level of risk if he was playing against the Mites on Ice.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Sandström sent to Reading to make room for Lyon. Yeah, that makes sense. Gotta get as many developmental starts as possible for Lyon and that Berube kid.

Still have no f***ing idea why they bothered to sign Berube. The Swedish league Sandstrom played in is higher in quality than the ECHL. There is no reason that he shouldn’t be splitting time with Lyon in LHV while Ustimenko gets his feet wet in Reading.

Flat out dumb

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Sandström sent to Reading to make room for Lyon. Yeah, that makes sense. Gotta get as many developmental starts as possible for Lyon and that Berube kid.

Still have no ****ing idea why they bothered to sign Berube. The Swedish league Sandstrom played in is higher in quality than the ECHL. There is no reason that he shouldn’t be splitting time with Lyon in LHV while Ustimenko gets his feet wet in Reading.

Flat out dumb
He has world class hair...real shame it's being buried in Reading

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
We finally got a proper lineup and we wanna rush kids who arent even close to playing in the bigs yet. Bunny and T are on the team and they easily won the jobs.

Reactions: mize370

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
If you're going to be mad about anything it should be that AV and Fletcher keep making you look silly by not doing the things you're so sure they're going to do. :popcorn:

How many minutes did Farabee play in game 1 again?

Zero, and we out chanced Hawks 26-4 in last 40 mins.

Farabee, Frost, Patrick will all be up sometime, I also want them up now, but not gonna freak out if we are getting wins.

Reactions: TheKingPin

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Im also livid about how good Couts TK and Oskar were, also about how low Couts TOI was. Remember all the posts about that in the GDT ?

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
No, 'cause you don't want people digging through your post history :laugh: And also because I am going to viciously attack you when I feel like I have enough energy for it.

Post history, hmmm. Ive always wanted Hogg gone, I wanted and thought Farabee would play, and Frost was sent down cause of injury, did not play his first game till after our opener.

2 questionable line up decisions is a massive improvement from 5-6 last year

Reactions: macleish1974

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Zero, and we out chanced Hawks 26-4 in last 40 mins.

Farabee, Frost, Patrick will all be up sometime, I also want them up now, but not gonna freak out if we are getting wins.

As I said, the fact that our players were able to perform, in spite of the coaching staffs stupid lineup choices, just speaks to their individual quality and how the Blackhawks suck.

But if we keep needlessly handicapping ourselves it's going to cost us sooner than later. I'd rather be smart and fix the lineup now, BEFORE that happens.

And if anyone is freaking out, its the polishing squad. :laugh:

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Post history, hmmm. Ive always wanted Hogg gone, I wanted and thought Farabee would play, and Frost was sent down cause of injury, did not play his first game till after our opener.

2 questionable line up decisions is a massive improvement from 5-6 last year

I'm talking about the idea that you're "not freaking out" - it's hilarious.

Reactions: Striiker

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Results don't automatically justify the process.

Win or lose, the lineup they went into game 1 with was stupid in too many ways. If they're smart, they won't go with the whole "can't make changes after a win" philosophy that Hakstol often went with, so hopefully there's roster moves today or tomorrow. This roster can easily be upgraded in multiple ways, both by adding/subtracting specific players and also just using the guys on the team properly. Let's be proactive instead of reactive.

I don't think it's so much "after a win" as it is a lack of data. They've played one game, against a bad team, at the beginning of the season, under weird international circumstances. We really haven't seen what's going on with this roster yet.

As I stated, way more important than the bottom 6 assortment is the top 6 and the whole defense learning to do what the coaches want them to. It's a whole new even strength system, AND a whole new PP, AND a whole new PK. It's a ton to learn. Those transitions are hard, and there's a lot to take on, and it's difficult to get a dozen grown men to learn new habits all at once after playing for half a decade under a bored babysitter.

Like it or not, the young plugs who had a good preseason got the roster spots, for now. They had good preseasons because they did what was asked of them, nothing more, nothing less. They didn't shine because they're more talented than the high-end prospects who aren't on the roster, they were effective and viewed favorably by the coaches because they played AV's game right off the bat and kinda stuck with it. In the very least, they're not a headache, even if they're nothing at all special.

None of us have any way of knowing what the thought process behind the final roster decisions, but if I have to posit, I think it'd be the notion that the staff has bigger fish to fry. I'd want Provorov and Voracek and Hayes and Hart and Sanheim and Ghost and Giroux, et. al, to all be on the same page, especially so those guys can be the example for the Frosts and Farabees of the world. Vigneault made it pretty clear that he didn't think the veteran group were fully there on the timeline he expected. When they're all up to speed and killing it, perhaps we'll see a bit more roster experimentation...but for better or worse, I don't see it coming this week or next.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't think it's so much "after a win" as it is a lack of data. They've played one game, against a bad team, at the beginning of the season, under weird international circumstances. We really haven't seen what's going on with this roster yet.

As I stated, way more important than the bottom 6 assortment is the top 6 and the whole defense learning to do what the coaches want them to. It's a whole new even strength system, AND a whole new PP, AND a whole new PK. It's a ton to learn. Those transitions are hard, and there's a lot to take on, and it's difficult to get a dozen grown men to learn new habits all at once after playing for half a decade under a bored babysitter.

Like it or not, the young plugs who had a good preseason got the roster spots, for now. They had good preseasons because they did what was asked of them, nothing more, nothing less. They didn't shine because they're more talented than the high-end prospects who aren't on the roster, they were effective and viewed favorably by the coaches because they played AV's game right off the bat and kinda stuck with it. In the very least, they're not a headache, even if they're nothing at all special.

None of us have any way of knowing what the thought process behind the final roster decisions, but if I have to posit, I think it'd be the notion that the staff has bigger fish to fry. I want Provorov and Voracek and Hayes and Hart and Sanheim and Ghost and Giroux, et. al, to all be on the same page. Vigneault made it pretty clear that he didn't think those guys were fully there on the timeline he expected. When they're all up to speed and killing it, perhaps we'll see a bit more roster experimentation...but for better or worse, I don't see it coming this week or next.
I wouldn't expect it either, but they're the ones who have gone on and on and on about the possibility of roster changes between games 1 and 2.

I guess we'll see. I certainly hope they do it sooner than later. Farabee and Frost would add some much needed skill to our two 4th lines.

They've played one game, against a bad team, at the beginning of the season, under weird international circumstances.
And most of the roster problems don't have any excuse, so none of this matters. They were, and still are, completely preventable. We didn't need to have any games played to know Farabee should be in or Hagg should be out. Or that randomly scrambling the lines and pairs like they did was stupid.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

None of us have any way of knowing what the thought process behind the final roster decisions, but if I have to posit, I think it'd be the notion that the staff has bigger fish to fry. I'd want Provorov and Voracek and Hayes and Hart and Sanheim and Ghost and Giroux, et. al, to all be on the same page, especially so those guys can be the example for the Frosts and Farabees of the world. Vigneault made it pretty clear that he didn't think the veteran group were fully there on the timeline he expected. When they're all up to speed and killing it, perhaps we'll see a bit more roster experimentation...but for better or worse, I don't see it coming this week or next.

Can always count on you for a reasonable take these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->