GDT: #2: FLYERS vs. Devils, Wednesday, Oct. 9, 2019, 7:30 pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Tick tock

We have today and tomorrow to see all these roster changes I've been promised. Surely Fletcher and AV won't let you guys down AGAIN, right?

Frost and Farabee UP, two of Pitlick/Bunnaman/Twarynski DOWN. After all, the former weren't sent down for their play, right? It was only because of the cap and health, right? Still waiting for that roster shuffle to get Farabee back in for game 1 too.

giphy.gif

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Lighten up Francis. Frost ain't coming up anytime soon due to the groin strain. No reason not to let him test it out down in the A. If he gets called up early and gets injured again, wee could be looking a lost season.

As for Farabee, I hope he gets the call, but constantly whining and trying to pick fights with people who are only exercising patience and refusing to get out of the ledge with you ... It just gets a little old. M'kay?
giphy.gif

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Lighten up Francis. Frost ain't coming up anytime soon due to the groin strain. No reason not to let him test it out down in the A. If he gets called up early and gets injured again, wee could be looking a lost season.

I came across this the other day when I was looking for info on the groin strains that ruined Morin's 3rd regular season in the Pros. (His knee injury happened in the playoffs).

Finally feeling himself, Phantoms' Phil Myers starting to live up to hype

It’s no coincidence that the best stretch of Myers’ young pro career is coinciding with being on the ice for an extended period of time. This past month or so Myers is showing flashes of what caused ESPN to rank him as the eighth-best defensive prospect in the game back in August.

It appears Myers is finally healthy after dealing with a nagging groin injury for much of the season. He admitted this week that he feels like himself or the first time this year.

“I feel really good right now,” Myers said. “I felt comfortable moving, I wasn’t feeling any pain at all. I’m just going to stay on top of it so it doesn’t come back. That’s what we’ve been doing lately and it’s been working so we’re just going to keep going that way.”

Myers’ groin limited him to just 13 of Lehigh Valley’s first 30 games this season but if you’ve watched him of late, you wouldn’t know it. He’s been quite sound defensively but is also quickly learning how and when to join the rush and contribute offensively as well.

Reactions: Doodootheclown

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If people don't want to receive little jabs then maybe they shouldn't pull guarantees out of their butts and then take jabs at others. And they might also want to avoid complaining about concerns/complaints, which turn out to be 100% justified.

Just a thought.

millennial-shrug.jpg

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, because playing in the AHL is less likely to cause another groin injury than playing in the NHL. :laugh:

If he's able to play then bring him up. If he's not healthy enough to play in the NHL without risking re-injury then he shouldn't be playing in the AHL either.

What it all boils down to is there's no valid reason for Frost and Farabee to be in the AHL, despite what the polishers swear. The only way it would've been excusable was if Frost was still too hurt to play, which is obviously not the case.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Frost and Farabee are fine in the AHL, watching Frost, he's not ready to be a difference maker in the NHL quite yet, as Hughes shows, it's a big jump from the CHL, and we're not desperate, even with Patrick out. Nor is Farabee going to excel as a bottom six player at 180 lbs, he could hold his own, but expecting instant stardom is the triumph of hope over experience.

Twarynski more than held his own against Chicago, and Bunnaman didn't embarrass himself, there's no urgency to replace them - let's see if they can sustain or improve over the next couple weeks. Both are 21, so unlike a 19 and 20 year old propect, they have no hope of improvement. :sarcasm:

And Rubtsov may be up before Frost, since he's a better fit at 4C. And he has a NHL body.

It's funny, Laughton is a #20 pick, starts in the NHL at 21, has some ups and downs but has a solid season last year at 24.
Yet numerous HF posters want to write him off as "over the hill" at age 25.

Reactions: PhlthyRich

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I mean, the team put on a pretty impressive show on Friday. There’s certainly things that could be better, but a team as feckless as the Hawks were last week isn’t going to highlight any real deficiencies.

We’ll have this lineup (or something similar) through at least the Western Canada trip, I believe. I think you’ll only see changes depending on how that goes, because right now the staff will probably be focused on hammering home the system for the guys that have been on the roster and in practices for the past week-plus.

I’m more concerned with the permanent guys—the 9 forwards and 5 defensemen we know are going to be in the lineup every night—getting the thing down to a science.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Results don't automatically justify the process.

Win or lose, the lineup they went into game 1 with was stupid in too many ways. If they're smart, they won't go with the whole "can't make changes after a win" philosophy that Hakstol often went with, so hopefully there's roster moves today or tomorrow. This roster can easily be upgraded in multiple ways, both by adding/subtracting specific players and also just using the guys on the team properly. Let's be proactive instead of reactive.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
As for Farabee, I hope he gets the call, but constantly whining and trying to pick fights with people who are only exercising patience and refusing to get out of the ledge with you ... It just gets a little old. M'kay?

Now tell us how it feels to listen to daft blind optimism for four months, to watch people acting like they have been brainwashed tell us that it's insane to have any concerns whatsoever.

This whole "Relax, man" shtick, a corollary of complaining about the complaining, is unbelievably tedious.

M'kay?

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Now tell us how it feels to listen to daft blind optimism for four months, to watch people acting like they have been brainwashed tell us that it's insane to have any concerns whatsoever.

This whole "Relax, man" shtick, a corollary of complaining about the complaining, is unbelievably tedious.

M'kay?

Wow, can we get within 2 standard deviations maybe? Believe it or not, there are many here who aren't either camped out on Broad St holding their spots on the parade or trying to drag the entire world onto the ledge to swan dive onto JFK.

It's one f***ing game into the season with a new coaching staff. We have a new #2 Center. We have a young center with a potentially career threatening condition. Another young center has a tweaked groin, and some here apparently think playing in the NHL would not require harder acceleration and more agility than the AHL. 2 new additions in the top 6, and only one of the 3 other competing d-men is waiver exempt. Yet we have folks who are absolutely certain that the front office is either omniscient or irretrievably brain damaged.

Maybe both sides can chill out a little and we can coolly evaluate progress? If nothing else, a little less emotion would be nice.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Yeah, because playing in the AHL is less likely to cause another groin injury than playing in the NHL. :laugh:

If he's able to play then bring him up. If he's not healthy enough to play in the NHL without risking re-injury then he shouldn't be playing in the AHL either.

What it all boils down to is there's no valid reason for Frost and Farabee to be in the AHL, despite what the polishers swear. The only way it would've been excusable was if Frost was still too hurt to play, which is obviously not the case.

Excuse me. I can't think of one recent example of a prospect getting hurt after being sent to the AHL to protect them.

Clearly in a league filled with so many heavy, protect the skill guy types its impossible to get hurt.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Pointing out problems =/= emotion. The emotion came in when people decided they needed to defend the GM and coach as if they were family and no concerns or critiques were allowed.

Also, these Frost excuses are pretty funny. So how does this work? In the NHL he'd skate hard/fast but since he's in the AHL he can just casually glide around? :laugh:

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Wow, can we get within 2 standard deviations maybe? Believe it or not, there are many here who aren't either camped out on Broad St holding their spots on the parade or trying to drag the entire world onto the ledge to swan dive onto JFK.

It's one ****ing game into the season with a new coaching staff. We have a new #2 Center. We have a young center with a potentially career threatening condition. Another young center has a tweaked groin, and some here apparently think playing in the NHL would not require harder acceleration and more agility than the AHL. 2 new additions in the top 6, and only one of the 3 other competing d-men is waiver exempt. Yet we have folks who are absolutely certain that the front office is either omniscient or irretrievably brain damaged.

Maybe both sides can chill out a little and we can coolly evaluate progress? If nothing else, a little less emotion would be nice.

So Frost is supposed to mainly be working in his pace in the AHL. But apparently will be skating slower on purpose while there?

What?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Excuse me. I can't think of one recent example of a prospect getting hurt after being sent to the AHL to protect them.

Clearly in a league filled with so many heavy, protect the skill guy types its impossible to get hurt.

Well, you see, if he's in the AHL his groin will know he's playing against worse players so it'll hold up better. ;)

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Well, you see, if he's in the AHL his groin will know he's playing against worse players so it'll hold up better. ;)
Funny that you always hear players and coaches saying that there is definitely a pace difference between the two leagues. If there is a pace of play difference there definitely will be a difference on the exertion one has with a core muscle like their groin.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Funny that you always hear players and coaches saying that there is definitely a pace difference between the two leagues. If there is a pace of play difference there definitely will be a difference on the exertion one has with a core muscle like their groin.

Yeah the AHL is slower because there are lots of crap players.

But good players don't become slower or play slower when they are there.

Plus pace of play normally refers to other teams puck movement and how quickly you have to make decisions with the puck. Not that there is a huge foot speed difference.

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah the AHL is slower because there are lots of crap players.

But good players don't become slower or play slower when they are there.

Plus pace of play normally refers to other teams puck movement and how quickly you have to make decisions with the puck. Not that there is a huge foot speed difference.

Exactly.

The AHL has less skill and slower thinkers, which is what dictates pace, but neither of those things has anything to do with groin strength. :laugh: It's not like it's a matter of effort where the NHL is a real hockey game and the AHL is a casual mens league where everyone half-asses it and nobody is trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad