GDT: #2| FLYERS (H) vs. Penguins (A) | Friday, Jan. 15, 2021| 7:00 pm ET |NHLN, SN, TVAS, NBCSP, ATTSN-PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
I am skeptical that giving Braun top pairing minutes is sustainable or good.

Then again, it's a short season.

In game one he did not have top pairing minutes

upload_2021-1-15_16-14-27.png

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm not sold on Friedman being better than Hagg.
On the one hand, we constantly hear great things about him, fastest skater, got a lot stronger, reliable defenseman on the Phantoms, but somehow he never gets a real NHL shot.

No, I don't think the coaches are stupid, I've seen enough of him to think he's an example of the Oakland syndrome "there's no there there." What I mean is somehow whenever you watch him he just seems "meh." Not awful but nothing jumps out at you - Zamula at 19 looked more impressive in TC than Friedman has ever looked to me.

I kept waiting each year for Friedman to take that step up and seize a job or at least some PT, but it has never happened.
Now he's 25, maybe the train has left the station? Maybe he's just a faster version of Alt?

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
1 minute of Hagg is too much. Sure Prosser is worse, but at least Prosser is properly slotted in at 10th or so on the depth chart.
I was talking about Braun’s usage.

But yes, I agree that any Hagg is too much Hagg. :laugh:

Friedman and Zamula are indisputably superior.

Last edited:
Reactions: bennysflyers16

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I'm not sold on Friedman being better than Hagg.
On the one hand, we constantly hear great things about him, fastest skater, got a lot stronger, reliable defenseman on the Phantoms, but somehow he never gets a real NHL shot.

No, I don't think the coaches are stupid, I've seen enough of him to think he's an example of the Oakland syndrome "there's no there there."

Just like NAK, right? Waiver wire fodder.

Reactions: pit

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Just like NAK, right? Waiver wire fodder.

No, NAK showed flashes, his 2019 TC camp was a disappointment because he had shown more in the AHL.
It was also the wake up call he needed, b/c he was a different player after he was called up, no more taking games off.
And he was two years younger than Friedman.

Have you seen anything from Friedman, even flashes, that makes you say "this is a starting NHL player?"
I mean he's not Prosser or Brennan, but I think the Alt comparison is apt, he just does enough to be considered, but never enough to stick.
At some point you have to think that's all that's there.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but when you're 25, potential is a dirty word.

Reactions: macleish1974

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
The Flyers think Hagg>Friedman. They’re wrong but I’m fairly certain this is what they think. At least, that’s what Occam’s Razor suggests

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
No, NAK showed flashes, his 2019 TC camp was a disappointment because he had shown more in the AHL.
It was also the wake up call he needed, b/c he was a different player after he was called up, no more taking games off.
And he was two years younger than Friedman.

Have you seen anything from Friedman, even flashes, that makes you say "this is a starting NHL player?"
I mean he's not Prosser or Brennan, but I think the Alt comparison is apt, he just does enough to be considered, but never enough to stick.
At some point you have to think that's all that's there.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but when you're 25, potential is a dirty word.

I'm sorry, but this is almost an exact retread of the NAK arguments we saw last season. In the EXTREMELY LIMITED TIME I've seen Friedman, he was better than Hagg, at the very least. He also happens to be RH, a ++ skater, and has a good AHL track record. Is he really an NHL defenseman? I don't know, he hasn't been given an adequate opportunity to show his stuff.

And you start from a false premise: coaches aren't stupid. Yes, they are. Everyone is stupid, in their own way, no matter how smart they are. Coaches have blind spots, act irrationally due to fear, develop biases for or against certain players for no sound reason, play it safe because it's easy to justify. It happens all of the time. And when a player who was thought to be nothing gets a shot and actually runs with it, it gets marked down by you with lazy cliches like, "he finally started listening to the coaches" or "it clicked for him" - never that he was finally given a damned opportunity.

Reactions: pit and Magua
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->