2 Firms US3.5 Billion Bid was just a Starting Point...could go MUCH Higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=117038&hubName=nhl

According to a report in Friday's Toronto Star, a Wall Street financial services corporation and a sports advisory firm are prepared to substantially increase their initial offer of $3.5 billion US to purchase the 30 NHL teams.

The two companies reportedly had a formula to compensate each team owner based on revenue, assets and market size. Under the $3.5 billion umbrella, each franchise would be worth an average of $117 million US.

Last week, the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim were sold for a reported $75 million US, a deal that included a $15 million US practice facility.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

MacDaddy TLC*

I wonder if they would be interested in purchasing about 18 teams, cutting free the weak sisters and making a strong 24 team league, in which they own 50%?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Mayor of MacAppolis said:
I wonder if they would be interested in purchasing about 18 teams, cutting free the weak sisters and making a strong 24 team league, in which they own 50%?

pffft..let 'em sell 24 Lex...Let's go all the way back to a super Original 6 League.

That way we'll play each other at least every other week.

:D

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
OTTSENS said:
Never say never!!! Remenber the pa saying we will NEVER EVER accept a salary cap, and then you know what happend. If the price is right anything is possible.

Do you know Jeremy Jacobs ?
Do you have any idea how much he'd ask ?

:lol

He'd want that 3 billion for himself !

X0ssbar

I personally love the idea of the NHL being centrally owned and managed. I also agree that if the price is right - say in the 5 billion range with larger market ownership groups getting a higher payout - that it could happen.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
One must consider that the current owners are in the business for a few reasons. One is that they might hope that it would be profitable and another is that they actually liked the idea of owning an NHL franchise. The later is more likely as there are plenty of other investments out there that would be better then the NHL.

I think it really has to be an all or nothing deal for the offerers. There is no point in buying half the "lesser" franchises and attempting to form a league because they'd be missing the better franchises who would be considered the true NHL. The best they could hope for in that case would be an IHL type league. 2nd rate to the NHL.

The only way they could get around not buying all 30 franchises would be by getting the majority of the big boys. New York, Philadelphia, Toronto, Colorado, Boston, Chicago, etc. All the least likely to sell.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Sounds like a central management deal for the NHL would solve any issue of large market-small market.

Then again, they could pull the plug on any franchise that it wanted and move them as they saw fit.

Goodbye Edmonton, helloooooo Houston!

NYFAN

Jul 8, 2004
Long Island
Gee Wally said:
Do you know Jeremy Jacobs ?
Do you have any idea how much he'd ask ?

:lol

He'd want that 3 billion for himself !
No, he'd just sign the new owners to a lifetime contract with his concessions business for all the Arenas!

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
When will this story die!

Too many teams are profitable and even taking marked value for all the clubs ($4.9B according to Forbes) it wouldn't make financial sense for the Leafs and Flyers. Not to mention the egos of the current owners.

If this meant no more Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa then no thanks.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Mayor of MacAppolis said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen the other way around. Eventually some small market teams may band together and try to make a separate deal with this group. If this group can sway Lemieux or Gretzky, there's going to be a stampede of small market owners wanting to sell.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
NYFAN said:
No, he'd just sign the new owners to a lifetime contract with his concessions business for all the Arenas!

You are soooooo right !

BUT he doesn't talk about that...that's Delaware North's money..not the Broons..

and then there is the Fleet ...oops I mean the BankNorth Garden ..

Disco Volante

Mar 11, 2002
2nd to FloydianSlip
Visit site
Isn't it risky to have all the teams centrally owned by "the league"? Smells a lot like wrestling to me... oh the drama this week, threats and bodyslam in the car park, all live on your tv!

My real question : what is Game Plan International? What kind of companies are they? Sports advisory firm? "What does that do?" :)

MacDaddy TLC*

Buffaloed said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen the other way around. Eventually some small market teams may band together and try to make a separate deal with this group. If this group can sway Lemieux or Gretzky, there's going to be a stampede of small market owners wanting to sell.
that is kind of what I was suggesting: buy all the small market teams and relocate/fold any that stand no chance of profitting in their current location. You have a league with 8-12 franchises owned by one group.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Buffaloed said:

The outfit that just bought the Ducks could turn a nice profit without ever icing a team .

NYFAN

Jul 8, 2004
Long Island
Gee Wally said:
You are soooooo right !

BUT he doesn't talk about that...that's Delaware North's money..not the Broons..

and then there is the Fleet ...oops I mean the BankNorth Garden ..

Good to see we're not all sheep being herded to slaughter.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Disco Volante said:
Isn't it risky to have all the teams centrally owned by "the league"? Smells a lot like wrestling to me... oh the drama this week, threats and bodyslam in the car park, all live on your tv!

My real question : what is Game Plan International? What kind of companies are they? Sports advisory firm? "What does that do?" :)
or like NASCAR, which is currently owning up all over the NHL... oh and MLS.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Disco Volante said:

There is that danger, but the CHL (Central Hockey League) has shown it can be done without turning things into a circus.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Buffaloed said:
That doesn't help the 12-15 other teams who can't.

not saying it does..

Just interesting...timing is everything I guess. The Board of Directors of Disney would really kick themselves.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
Here is an article some of you may find interesting:

Cherry Picking the NHL

How many clubs are required to approve a sale of one team to a new owner? Is it a simple majority? Is there not provisions that forbid non-arms length parties from owning multiple franchises?

Sounds very risky to me....

...interesting nevertheless.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Disco Volante said:

That's exactly what will happen. Players will be traded from team to team to further "feuds" and media hype.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
Epsilon said:
That's exactly what will happen. Players will be traded from team to team to further "feuds" and media hype.

Performance measurement and reward system mechanisms could be implemented to prevent such situations from occurring.

It would be very much in their interests to ensure that the management of the individual teams remain independent so as to retain competitive credibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad