GDT: [#2] Dallas Stars at St. Louis Blues, 7:00 PM CST (FS-SW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Not going to panic or get too angry yet.

Should have won today which is disappointing, but played two very tough teams. And have shown we are there with them.

Only worry is the top lines have no chemistry at the moment and seem to be forcing it.

Id change it up a bit and lock in a top line of Hintz-Seguin-Pavelski then make the 2nd line a bit more grinding with Benn-Faksa-Radulov.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I soothe my disappointment at this season's slow start by basking in the schadenfreude created by the despair of fans of various other teams who spent the summer bragging about how great their team would be, how much depth they had, how young players would step up, etc., only to see it crash and burn now that reality has come calling.

Go read GDTs from the Sharks, Devils, or Blue Jackets - helps take the edge off. ;)

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
It's not ****ting on someone, if there are legitimate concerns about ongoing performance levels. Blind support is equally as bad as just ****ting on someone. Or do I have to show you my wardrobe full of Jamie Benn jerseys to prove I'm a "true" fan of the man? Or the large fracking bills I'm running up to fly great distances to go watch this team this season.

So please keep your snide comments to yourself. I have real concerns about his ongoing performance levels that have some grounding. If he picks it up and starts contributing offensively no-one will be happier than me.

So how about you explain why you think he's doing a good job and set me straight. I'm all ears.

It’s not just you. It’s everywhere and it’s been this way since forever. I get the concerns about his performance (and history would say he comes out of this two game old skid) but this is a pattern with the Stars base. If it’s not Turco it’s Goligoski. If it’s not Goligoski it’s Benn. It’ll probably be Klingberg in the future and then we’ll get tired of Miro after that. It’s a constant need to place the shortcomings of the team on one or two guys instead of looking at system issues or roster evaluation as a whole. Honestly didn’t mean anything towards you specifically, and agree he could be better, but he’s still a productive player and not a complete bum out there. We’re two games in and losing our minds already. It’s ridiculous.

Last edited:

masinaLFC

Apr 2, 2014
Banska Bystrica, SVK
Benn was absolutely useless in both games so far, so I don't know how can anyone defend his play... yeah he is captain, he was amazing a few years ago, but if he won't pick up his game we are screwed

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
It’s not just you. It’s everywhere and it’s been this way since forever. I get the concerns about his performance (and history would say he comes out of this two game old skid) but this is a pattern with the Stars base. If it’s not Turco it’s Goligoski. If it’s not Goligoski it’s Benn. It’ll probably be Klingberg in the future and then we’ll get tired of Miro after that. It’s a constant need to place the shortcomings of the team on one or two guys instead of looking at system issues or roster evaluation as a whole. Honestly didn’t mean anything towards you specifically, and agree he could be better, but he’s still a productive player and not a complete bum out there. We’re two games in and losing our minds already. It’s ridiculous.
I don't know what threads you've been watching
but through 2 games
Benn has been shit on
Seguin has been shit on
Klingberg has been shit on
Comeau, Cogliano, Oleksiak, Sekera, Faksa, Bishop and Gurianov have all been shit on at different points on the games for shitty play.

that's literally half the roster that has been bitched about some get more than others (Benn) because through 2 games he been the lousiest player, on a roster that features
Justin Dowling, Roman Polak, Andrew Cogliano and Jamie Oleksiak,
Benn makes them all look like extremely useful players with how shit he's been.
Factor in how shitty his play was for so much of last year and yeah, everyone is (rightly so) jumping the gun on dumping on him for being a colossal failure.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
It's not ****ting on someone, if there are legitimate concerns about ongoing performance levels. Blind support is equally as bad as just ****ting on someone. Or do I have to show you my wardrobe full of Jamie Benn jerseys to prove I'm a "true" fan of the man? Or the large fracking bills I'm running up to fly great distances to go watch this team this season.

So please keep your snide comments to yourself. I have real concerns about his ongoing performance levels that have some grounding. If he picks it up and starts contributing offensively no-one will be happier than me.

So how about you explain why you think he's doing a good job and set me straight. I'm all ears.

It's just unreasonable to classify almost any player NHL player as either superstar or crap when most are somewhere in between. Yet that is what many here are prone to.

Not even Crosby scores every game, makes every shot, catches every pass, skates hard every shift. While our rose color glasses tend to think Mo and Zubie were great, Mo had many down years " only scoring" 20 something goals, was accused of skating in circles, etc. And both regularly were high in turnovers because they tried to make great plays.

I'm not going to do adetailrd lookup, but each player had gone 2 or more games without scoring numerous time in their career. Calling them crap every game they don't score is more fan anger than reasonable hockey discussion.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
BTW, I bookmarked the DMN Stars section 2 years ago, and for some reason it keeps coming up to the then current page. The headline read,"After 2 games, Stars not playing like the champs of the off season."

History repeats. Again, Nill lauded for off season moves, again it takes time to mesh, although they didn't make the PO that year, soooo......

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Biggest problem they’ve had through 2 games is the same problem they had last year . Terrible starts to the game . For a team that lacks goal scoring , they can’t be letting a goal in the first 10 minutes let alone the first minute .

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He made his bed . Minny offered him the best deal that was available and he took it. The full NMC for the expasion draft is just not feasable.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
You guys still want Zuccarello? I think he wants to come back...

Did you read something to that effect, or just guessing he realizes too late that money doesn't make up for playing on a team that will be going nowhere, even faster than when he signed?

Even with retention, not sure we want to add another 31 years old, unless we subtract, say, a 38 year old......

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Zucc is not coming back to Dallas. We can’t afford him cap-wise or asset-wise. He made the decision to go to Minny and he’s probably stuck there for 5 years.

A lot can change quickly, but I honestly would be surprised if he gets more than 1-2 playoff series in before the end of his career. I can’t blame him - chasing the money is the best decision for him as a person - but it’s too late to go back on that choice.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Zucc is not coming back to Dallas. We can’t afford him cap-wise or asset-wise. He made the decision to go to Minny and he’s probably stuck there for 5 years.

A lot can change quickly, but I honestly would be surprised if he gets more than 1-2 playoff series in before the end of his career. I can’t blame him - chasing the money is the best decision for him as a person - but it’s too late to go back on that choice.

Chasing what Money?

Dude is making only 5mil this year and an avg of 6 per the contract.
You're crazy if you don't think Dallas offered him roughly the same money but less term.

He didn't chase money he took the security of the term.

Minnesota was the only term stupid enough to offer that kind of term

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Chasing what Money?

Dude is making only 5mil this year and an avg of 6 per the contract.
You're crazy if you don't think Dallas offered him roughly the same money but less term.

He didn't chase money he took the security of the term.

Minnesota was the only term stupid enough to offer that kind of term

More term = more money

If he was making $7-8m per year then he'd take less term but that obviously wasn't gonna happen so he had to go for more term if he wanted more money

So he was still chasing the money

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
More term = more money

If he was making $7-8m per year then he'd take less term but that obviously wasn't gonna happen so he had to go for more term if he wanted more money

So he was still chasing the money

Yeah but no more so than every other player that goes into UFA.
Seems like a weird thing to harp on, there's like 4 post in this about how he "chased" the money.

As if he traded in a shot at wining by re-signing here for truck loads of money by leaving.
Which is just completely wrong on both accounts.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Understand why Nill wouldn't give more term. On the other hand, Zucc had proven chemistry with Hintz, which is not always a given with UFA signings. Zucc 2 month audition couldn't have gone better. We knew what we were getting. But the money was less per year than Pavs, who hasn't gelled yet. Who knows, with Zucc we might have won at least one....

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I personally wouldn't have been willing to give the NMC in year 3 . The team already has quite a few in that year for older guys. Not willing to give it to another . Pavs can be exposed to the expansion draft. Zucc will not be.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
If the NHL allowed teams to retain term I’d be all in for bringing Zucc back I miss that little dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->