GDT: [#2] Dallas Stars at St. Louis Blues, 7:00 PM CST (FS-SW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
Benn and Seguin doing absolutely nothing to start the season. Remember when Seguin had Hintz's speed that first year?

Heiskanen was unreal tonight. The keeps/saves he made the last minute alone. He deserves a better forward corp in front of him at crunch time than the old man crew we throw out there.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Why couldn't we have opened this season with Ottawa and Columbus?

Oh well, it's a long season. Played two of the best teams down to the wire and could have won both games. Seguin and Benn will need to contribute before January this season. Hintz and Miro are already our two best players. I'd rather play the two young guys tonight over Cogliano and Comeau. Cheaper and better.
Shouldn't say things like that, you'll get lectured about how great they are

Reactions: LatvianTwist

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Razor said Gardiner and Camaano ready for NHL. Probably gonna stick with the vets, but if they could, trading a Comeau or Cogs to save cap space for a deal.

Guri looking better, on O chances and 4-5 steals on D. When you have an old team, playing young guns to give them rest will probably help a lot.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
My thoughts after only catching the 3rd period of this one:
(1) Heiskanen should be the TOI leader every game. He is the Stars’ best defenseman. Klingberg has more flash and offensive potential, but Miro is the better of the two... and I don’t think it’s that close.
(2) Let the kids play. Please, let the kids play. Let Gurianov start every game and play through every mistake until the end of the season.
(3) I really, really hope this season isn’t going to be a repeat of the 2009 season when they missed the playoffs because they spent the summer reading their own press clippings from the prior season instead of getting ready for the new season.
(4) For the 3rd year in a row, I might be hoping the Stars trade Benn. I hope I’m wrong, but it doesn’t look good so far.
(5) Give Dobby the next start. Bish needs to clear his head after soft goals in two straight to start the season.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well next game is tomorow so of course Dobby is going to start that game. Also Benn might be close to untradeable with all his clauses.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
My thoughts after only catching the 3rd period of this one:
(1) Heiskanen should be the TOI leader every game. He is the Stars’ best defenseman. Klingberg has more flash and offensive potential, but Miro is the better of the two... and I don’t think it’s that close.
(2) Let the kids play. Please, let the kids play. Let Gurianov start every game and play through every mistake until the end of the season.
(3) I really, really hope this season isn’t going to be a repeat of the 2009 season when they missed the playoffs because they spent the summer reading their own press clippings from the prior season instead of getting ready for the new season.
(4) For the 3rd year in a row, I might be hoping the Stars trade Benn. I hope I’m wrong, but it doesn’t look good so far.
(5) Give Dobby the next start. Bish needs to clear his head after soft goals in two straight to start the season.
I think you're misremember 2009

Morrow missed almost the entire season
Richards about half the season
Niskanen and Grossman were the only 2 blue liners to play the full season
and Turco had trouble stopping a beachball through all 80games he played because they had no backup.

Probably thinking of 16-17 but a lot of that was the garbage goalie nill kept around

Last edited:

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
I think you're misremember 2009

Morrow missed almost the entire season
Richards about half the season
Niskanen and Grossman were the only 2 blue liners to play the full season
and Turco had trouble stopping a beachball through all 80games he played because they had no backup
Maybe just a bit. But then we missed the playoffs the next 5 or so seasons, right? I just can’t forget what Monty said in a presser last year that we’ve all seen for years: culture of mediocrity.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Offside challenges need to be removed. If it’s not caught in real-time its not enough to make any kind of difference in the play. Its essentially semantics at that point.

Sounds like Miro looked great, as did Gardner and Caamano. The latter two are the types of players you need when you spend as much on a core as us. Seems likely they’ll stick around at least through these injuries.

Reactions: Blindsummit

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Maybe just a bit. But then we missed the playoffs the next 5 or so seasons, right? I just can’t forget what Monty said in a presser last year that we’ve all seen for years: culture of mediocrity.
Yeah but a lot of that was going through bankruptcy and having a gm with 1 hand tied behind his back in terms of moves because of it. I mean the league started financially managing the team sometime in 2010 until Gagliardi bought them

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Yeah but a lot of that was going through bankruptcy and having a gm with 1 hand tied behind his back in terms of moves because of it. I mean the league started financially managing the team sometime in 2010 until Gagliardi bought them
To this day, I think GMJN1.0 could have been a great GM with the right situation. Dude actually did a pretty decent job considering the circumstances.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
To this day, I think GMJN1.0 could have been a great GM with the right situation. Dude actually did a pretty decent job considering the circumstances.
I do too.
He made some bad decisions (Crawford/Glennie) and his scouts and his Russian bias needed to be checked,
but they were always in the thick of things considering the circumstance of course how much of the subpar scouting was lack of talent in the personnel and how much was on no funds to bring in additional personnel to cover more areas. we'll never know. IIRC they had one of the (if not the) smallest scouting departments in the league during those years.
But Glennie was a direct result of Newy not wanting a Russian (Kulikov)
It's not like the scouting has gotten any better in the 7yrs of JN1.5

Blindsummit

Jun 3, 2017
Alberta
There’s nothing stars fans love more than finding a good player and ****ting all over him

It's not shitting on someone, if there are legitimate concerns about ongoing performance levels. Blind support is equally as bad as just shitting on someone. Or do I have to show you my wardrobe full of Jamie Benn jerseys to prove I'm a "true" fan of the man? Or the large fracking bills I'm running up to fly great distances to go watch this team this season.

So please keep your snide comments to yourself. I have real concerns about his ongoing performance levels that have some grounding. If he picks it up and starts contributing offensively no-one will be happier than me.

So how about you explain why you think he's doing a good job and set me straight. I'm all ears.

Reactions: M88K

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Only watched the first two periods, but I thought Gurianov looked like a complete different player than the first game and last year. It looks like we’ll have secondary scoring this year now we just need some primary scoring.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
JB has only once been a point a game player. He goes pointless 2 games and all of us who couldn't hold his jock crap all over him.

For all the crap fans gave him last year, he scored 27 goals in the end. Not his best, but not bad.
Yes, he will never win the Ross again. Yes, he is on the wrong side of 30 and best years are behind him. He has never been on the Ayd level, never been a top 10 " among best players on the team." But he and sefmgs, and now Pavs have been in the top 10 goal scorers of the past 5 years and some of you have called him crap all that time.

Put down the beer, and go take his place if you think it's so damn easy to play in the NHL.

Yes, fans have the right to bitch at players, but we also have the right to bitch about other unreasonable fans!

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
No one was calling him crap 5 years ago. He was a top 5 NHLer back then.

He's not what he was, and that simply isn't good enough considering his contract, the C on his jersey, and the load he's expected to carry offensively.

Benn taking criticism is completely just, but you guys aren't wrong either in that he's still pretty good. It's not that he's a bad player, but he's not meeting expectations. Perhaps those expectations simply need to lessen, but I think there's still some hope he can get back to at least some of that level we saw dominate the league.

Blindsummit

Jun 3, 2017
Alberta
I have never called Jamie Benn crap and am completely sober. I love the man dearly but this doesn't mean that his contribution can't be questioned, and that the overall good of the Team and organization can't be considered if that contribution is not at the level it should be.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
JB has only once been a point a game player. He goes pointless 2 games and all of us who couldn't hold his jock crap all over him.

For all the crap fans gave him last year, he scored 27 goals in the end. Not his best, but not bad.
Yes, he will never win the Ross again. Yes, he is on the wrong side of 30 and best years are behind him. He has never been on the Ayd level, never been a top 10 " among best players on the team." But he and sefmgs, and now Pavs have been in the top 10 goal scorers of the past 5 years and some of you have called him crap all that time.

Put down the beer, and go take his place if you think it's so damn easy to play in the NHL.

Yes, fans have the right to ***** at players, but we also have the right to ***** about other unreasonable fans!
Am i getting his 9.5mil a year to not catch passes, skate like i'm stuck in mud and whiff on shots? I'd have to break a leg or two to skate that slow, but i could do it. I guess i could also not try for 90% of the game

Blindsummit

Jun 3, 2017
Alberta
I will take the advice of First Row though and step away from the computer for the night. I normally try to be positive and supportive and am suffering from tonight's loss which for some reason i took hard. I should be used to it I guess. We snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, in no small measure to the appalling offside challenge decision.

I will back fresh tomorrow and praying for a Jamie hat-trick to cheer us all up. We all want the same thing.

Good night all.

Reactions: Kalamazoo Wings

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
I only saw game one and I thought Jamie looked positively engaged. Sounds like he had a worse game tonight.

Now I know it was only preseason but a couple games ago against a full NHL roster of the Minnesota Wild he had 3 points. Preseason doesn't count but that was a good sign that we know he's very capable of being an offensive force. We'll have to hope he heats up a few times and scores in bunches.

Seguin I thought did next to nothing in game 1. He always leaves me wanting more from his play, but I admit I prefer Benn to him so that tends to tilt my bias. They both need to be better and I'm sure they will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad