GDT: [#2] Dallas Stars at St. Louis Blues, 7:00 PM CST (FS-SW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Everyone is too focused on Benn's decline. Team's real problem is our entire team is either too old or too young to win the Cup. Cup teams usually have a core in their primes.

We have Esa and Kilingberg in their primes, maybe Seguin, hopefully Bishop. Miro and Rope ahead of their primes but maybe good enough to not matter. Jamie O in prime, but not good enough to matter. A checking center in his prime Faksa May not make a difference.

Top 4 fw 29 or above, past the typical scoring prime. Not the way to build a roster, really.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Everyone is too focused on Benn's decline. Team's real problem is our entire team is either too old or too young to win the Cup. Cup teams usually have a core in their primes.

We have Esa and Kilingberg in their primes, maybe Seguin, hopefully Bishop. Miro and Rope ahead of their primes but maybe good enough to not matter. Jamie O in prime, but not good enough to matter. A checking center in his prime Faksa May not make a difference.

Top 4 fw 29 or above, past the typical scoring prime. Not the way to build a roster, really.
It's the way you have to build a roster when you find a grand total of one quality NHLer out of two consecutive drafts. The 2013 and 2014 drafts featured 18 picks, and the only guy on the roster from them is Dickinson, a dude who looks like he'll finish most seasons with more games on IR than points. Those are the players who should be part of that young core.

Reactions: Benneguin

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
When you can't draft you need to go sign Radulov and Pavelski and Perry and Sekera and Hanzal and Comeau.

Problem is, they are expensive and have high probability to start declining.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Absolutely agree. However, if you are TG, you obviously feel like you have to do it. Just not as easy as a select few teams make it look. We need a few more lucky lotto balls to replicate CHI or PIT, although TBL and BOS seem to be contenders every year with fewer top picks (and seems like BOS whiffed on 3 straight first round picks a few years ago, and have traded Jumbo Joe, Tyler Seguin, etc. and still competitive)

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Yeah, I don’t mean to criticize signing free agents. I mean, things would be much much worse if they combined bad drafting with no spending.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
When you can't draft you need to go sign Radulov and Pavelski and Perry and Sekera and Hanzal and Comeau.

Problem is, they are expensive and have high probability to start declining.
I call Bullshit on that one.
That was a dumb signing from any perspective

Reactions: Benneguin

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Hanzal was a strange signing. I have always thought that if Nill knew on July 1st that Radulov was signing with the Stars, he wouldn’t have gone after Hanzal.
I've always thought he did it as a replacement for Eakin, which wasn't a loss that needed to be replaced.
But everyone knew he was as durable as a wet paper bag.
Which made both the $amount and term really stupid

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I've always thought he did it as a replacement for Eakin, which wasn't a loss that needed to be replaced.
But everyone knew he was as durable as a wet paper bag.
Which made both the $amount and term really stupid
To me it was Nill going with the best free agent he knew he could get because he couldn’t come out of free agency empty handed. It was essentially a panic move. Then after the ink dried on Hanzal’s deal, Radulov’s agent called.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Hanzal to me was a clear Hitchcock move. That offseason Gaglardi was all-in on Hitch and to me it seems like he instructed Nill to give Hitch the player he wanted most which seemed to be Hanzal. Hanzal was the type of player Hitch loved his whole career.

I'll have to say this though . Because Hanzal ended up having to end his career that move didn't backfire as much as others did. It only cost money.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
We can take this discussion somewhere other than a several-day-old GDT. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->