Series Talk: #2 Capitals vs #3 Bruins

The winner is:

• Total voters

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
I love it. They've looked good together and this Bruins lineup is gonna be hell to match up with.

I expect a lot of shuffling in the bottom 6 while Cassidy is looking for a spark anyway.

I'm more concerned about Wagner than Debrusk. I think you could go JDB/Lazar/Kuhlman and try to give Chara problems with speed, but we'll see how it plays out.
He should be in there and I am glad he is on the left side
If it was the right I would not agree. He seems to really struggle on the right side when the puck is in the Bruins end

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Zdeno Chara concluded his 23rd NHL season with 55 games.

That is four more than the sum of ex-partner Charlie McAvoy, the Bruins’ blue line leader. It is well above the projection set by the Bruins when they informed their captain that, in all likelihood, he would not be a lineup regular.

The Capitals did not give Chara charity games for the sake of nudging him toward Chris Chelios, Scott Stevens, Larry Murphy and Ray Bourque, the only four defensemen in league history ahead of him in career appearances. First-year coach Peter Laviolette leaned on Chara hard, especially on the penalty kill, where the strongman averaged a team-high 2:41 per game.

Chara responded. On occasion, he wore an “A.” Capitals reporters voted for Chara as the team’s nominee for the Masterton Trophy, awarded to the player who best exemplifies perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to the game.

“It’s a huge honor,” Chara said. “It’s something I take big pride in. I expressed it many times: I love this game. This game gave me and my family a lot. I learned a lot from this game. I try to do my best every day I come to the rink, be a good example on and off the ice and do the things that can improve and make a difference for the team.”

Some players live to stick it to their critics. Not Chara. He isn’t one to wave his middle finger at his doubters. The 44-year-old plays to win and feed his passion for his livelihood.

But just by doing what he loves — playing hard 5-on-5 shifts, killing penalties, setting the bar for his teammates on the ice and in the gym — beyond his previous employer’s projected best-by date, Chara proved the Bruins wrong about his part-time status. If Chara can help his new team win four first-round games, the 44-year-old will enjoy that more than sending his former teammates to the golf course.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Zdeno Chara concluded his 23rd NHL season with 55 games.

That is four more than the sum of ex-partner Charlie McAvoy, the Bruins’ blue line leader. It is well above the projection set by the Bruins when they informed their captain that, in all likelihood, he would not be a lineup regular.

The Capitals did not give Chara charity games for the sake of nudging him toward Chris Chelios, Scott Stevens, Larry Murphy and Ray Bourque, the only four defensemen in league history ahead of him in career appearances. First-year coach Peter Laviolette leaned on Chara hard, especially on the penalty kill, where the strongman averaged a team-high 2:41 per game.

Chara responded. On occasion, he wore an “A.” Capitals reporters voted for Chara as the team’s nominee for the Masterton Trophy, awarded to the player who best exemplifies perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to the game.

“It’s a huge honor,” Chara said. “It’s something I take big pride in. I expressed it many times: I love this game. This game gave me and my family a lot. I learned a lot from this game. I try to do my best every day I come to the rink, be a good example on and off the ice and do the things that can improve and make a difference for the team.”

Some players live to stick it to their critics. Not Chara. He isn’t one to wave his middle finger at his doubters. The 44-year-old plays to win and feed his passion for his livelihood.

But just by doing what he loves — playing hard 5-on-5 shifts, killing penalties, setting the bar for his teammates on the ice and in the gym — beyond his previous employer’s projected best-by date, Chara proved the Bruins wrong about his part-time status. If Chara can help his new team win four first-round games, the 44-year-old will enjoy that more than sending his former teammates to the golf course.

He played 55 games because the Capitals' blueline depth sucks. He wouldn't be logging those minutes here because he's slow and past his prime.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
He played 55 games because the Capitals' blueline depth sucks. He wouldn't be logging those minutes here because he's slow and past his prime.
He can still effectively log those minutes, although not sure how smart that is in a condensed season and could wear him down for the playoffs. But who knows he’s a mutant.

Reactions: inactive user

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I still think Chara can be exposed, especially over the course of a full game or a few games in a short series. PK is one thing, but 5 on 5 i might consider forcing plays up his side. Make him turn and chase. Over. And over. Eventually he will fumble a bad turn over or get burned to the outside.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

He would have gone very close to it. Our left-side depth was so lacking this season we had Connor Clifton playing 2LD for a long stretch - which is not only a step above his talent level but his off-side. Our lefties pre-Reilly were Lauzon, Gryz, Zboril and Moore. Both Lauzon and Gryz had quite long stretches out with injury, Moore we barely saw, and the only reason little Z would get in ahead of big Z would be because you're prioritizing development over current ability. Reilly didn't come along until mid-April. So I think it's very safe to say that Chara would have played at least 40 games had he stayed in Boston.

I still think it was completely the right decision to move on from him, but I can't pretend that he wouldn't still have had a significant role here had he remained with the Bruins.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
You know that is just Fluto trying to gin up a storyline for these playoffs but in all honesty, Chara is not a major factor here. The storyline is Caps dirtiness with Wilson, Hathaway, OV etc. vs the best top 6 in the NHL.
I agree although I don’t think Fluto is alone, NBC will exhaust that story line in game 1 and throughout the series.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
He would have gone very close to it. Our left-side depth was so lacking this season we had Connor Clifton playing 2LD for a long stretch - which is not only a step above his talent level but his off-side. Our lefties pre-Reilly were Lauzon, Gryz, Zboril and Moore. Both Lauzon and Gryz had quite long stretches out with injury, Moore we barely saw, and the only reason little Z would get in ahead of big Z would be because you're prioritizing development over current ability. Reilly didn't come along until mid-April. So I think it's very safe to say that Chara would have played at least 40 games had he stayed in Boston.

I still think it was completely the right decision to move on from him, but I can't pretend that he wouldn't still have had a significant role here had he remained with the Bruins.
I think that's fair. The Bruins were an injury away from slapping a jersey on a ceremonial puck dropper. Chara would have played.

Still, fewer goals allowed per game than last season, even with a never ending parade of bodies on defense and the initial goalie tandem being less effective than they were last season.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
You know that is just Fluto trying to gin up a storyline for these playoffs but in all honesty, Chara is not a major factor here. The storyline is Caps dirtiness with Wilson, Hathaway, OV etc. vs the best top 6 in the NHL.

For sure. Beyond the physical factor, the guy on the Caps that really worries me is Oshie. Sure Ovechkin will be a threat but I think one we can handle as long as we limit his space. But Oshie has a broader talent range, is a better skater and can seriously hurt an opponent with genuine skill if he gets on a roll. I know he's had some injury concerns but assuming he can even be close to fully fit then I think that's one guy the Bs really need to put a lot of focus on. If he has a poor series that'll go a long way to giving us the edge.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
For sure. Beyond the physical factor, the guy on the Caps that really worries me is Oshie. Sure Ovechkin will be a threat but I think one we can handle as long as we limit his space. But Oshie has a broader talent range, is a better skater and can seriously hurt an opponent with genuine skill if he gets on a roll. I know he's had some injury concerns but assuming he can even be close to fully fit then I think that's one guy the Bs really need to put a lot of focus on. If he has a poor series that'll go a long way to giving us the edge.
Oshie practiced in a non contact jersey today? So he’s probably a game time decision on Saturday and Kusneztov still on the Covid protocol? Bruins need to take advantage early in the series because you know as the stakes get higher they will be getting everyone back .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->