GDT: #2 | Canucks @ Oilers Round 2 | "Toast" | Jan 14, 7 PM | SN1/SNP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Get Khaira onto the f***ing taxi squad and get Chaisson off the f***ing powerplay. Get Neal to replace Ennis who was brutal, and Shore to replace Khaira.

Just before Khaira gets into the taxi, remind him nobody else wanted him for free, and that he better start learning Russian if he wants to play hockey next year at all.

Depressing prediction:
Oilers play far better but Jones is exposed as not ready (again), Larsson proves (again) the game has passed him by, Smith passes the puck to Pettersson who scores the tying goal late in the 3rd and then does his sideways 1970's style flop with Horvat on (another) breakaway in extra innings and we lose 5-4 in Oooooooooovertiiiiiiiime.

It seems to me that Larsson has not been the same player since his family faced tragedy. Of course, that is perfectly understandable but I wonder if he isn't looking towards finishing his career over in Europe and bidding the NHL adieu. Just speculation but that's my read. He looks mentally exhausted out there.

Reactions: Smartguy

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I didn't see Jones as particularly bad last night, honestly. Larsson made baffling errors, sure, but the only thing I pin on Jones is a bit of an ill advised pinch...but someone should have covered for him (93/97)

Reactions: ujju2

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Khaira, Chaisson and Larsson all need IQ tests, I'm more interested in the result of those than their COVID tests. Fire all 3 of them into the sun.

Reactions: Snipes45

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The thing that we need to remember is that usually players want a chance to make up for a bad game. If you just bench everyone when they have a bad game that is a great way to kill confidence. If the issue is a lack of work ethic then it can be a useful coaching tool. Of your suggestions:

1) Khaira gets a chance tonight to show that he wants to be a NHL player, if he lays an egg again after just being waived, then he can stay on the taxi squad. Shore makes more sense as the 4C right now than McLeod IMO.

2) Other than the beating that he would take, IMO Yamo on the top unit around the net would be a good thing. Kahun needs more time before getting put into that position if he ever gets there.

3) Give them another game or two before tinkering with that pairing.
At most I'm looking at changing one guy. Like you said you want to give guys a chance to bounce back, but you don't want the leash to be too long either.

You also don't want to make too many changes as you don't want to make it tougher on the other guys trying to figure out a bunch of new players from yesterday. As it is we have 4 new players that the regulars aren't use to, so to go and change yet another 3 or 4 might be overkill.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
It seems to me that Larsson has not been the same player since his family faced tragedy. Of course, that is perfectly understandable but I wonder if he isn't looking towards finishing his career over in Europe and bidding the NHL adieu. Just speculation but that's my read. He looks mentally exhausted out there.
People on here were claiming he was among the Oilers best D to finish last season which I can not recall him being that player since his Dad passed there. Which agreed it is a tragedy so understandable. He likely gets deals to play bottom pair for a few years if he continues his trajectory but I hope he can regain form and earn a new deal here, it’s only one game.

But one guy who has to go is Chiasson. He had 1 good year and we have to suffer for it. He’s awful on the PP and missed a few grade A chances last night. Yamamoto should be switched out for him today no doubt till Neal can get back.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I am going to try to make a prediction. Not about the final score (I never get those right), but about the start of the game.
The Draisaitl line will start the game, and 40-45 seconds into the game the McDavid line comes on and Connor scores on an end-to-end rush on his first shift.
Where they'll go from there I have no idea.

I have to get an early start tomorrow, so I won't be staying up for this one. To everybody here watching live tonight, I hope it will be more fun and enjoyable than yesterday.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I honestly can't recall if they did the same thing last year that they did last night, where one guy quickly brings the puck to center ice,drops it back, and all four other guys stand absolutely still at the blue line while the one guy now has to break through a line of opposing penalty killers.

I've watched the Canucks do this for years and have always hated it. Is that what we did last year?

We've been doing that for years. Every team does now.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Just win baby.

Expecting a big bounce back performance and better attention to defensive details.

We generated a lot of offensive chances need to bury those. Also get Chiasson off the top PP

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
Can someone explain to me why we waived Kharia and then inserted him into the lineup on opening night???

Let us see some Haas action.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
The thing with these Canucks is that I can't even hate any of them. When Rousell plays, he can be a dbag. Motte doesn't even do much bad. They all work hard. Can't hate these guys like the DBAG Kesler Canucks. Thank god they did not win the cup lol.

Calgary I HATE with a passion. The Canucks play the game right.
You can’t hate Pettersson diving every second shift? Spends more time on his knees than....well I won’t finish that sentence haha

Reactions: Oilhawks and oobga

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
The main positive from last game is how many grade A chances we had. Can Holtby make that many saves again? 2 were complete flukes. Drai should have scored and McDavid had him beat. He went on his stomach and got it with his blocker. Chaisson whiffed on a gimme. Canucks give up chances, they just aren't a result of big blunders like us.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Sorry but the Canucks love-in on here is getting kind of gross. Sure they aren’t as hateable as the Kesler era, but they still have enough douchebags and divers and the bandwagon element in their fan base is getting obnoxious and entitled again. Sure the Flames and Laffs are public enemy no 1 but they can’t be far behind.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
People on here were claiming he was among the Oilers best D to finish last season which I can not recall him being that player since his Dad passed there. Which agreed it is a tragedy so understandable. He likely gets deals to play bottom pair for a few years if he continues his trajectory but I hope he can regain form and earn a new deal here, it’s only one game.

But one guy who has to go is Chiasson. He had 1 good year and we have to suffer for it. He’s awful on the PP and missed a few grade A chances last night. Yamamoto should be switched out for him today no doubt till Neal can get back.

I like Chiasson's game more than most of the guys on the threads do.

He isn't a sniper but he tends to get a number of chances (yes playing on the PP is obviously an advantage) and that alone seems to separate him from some of the forwards we have who never seem to be near any decent chances unless its in the bar after the game.

He is also a little bit on the chippy and snarly side which is something the Oil don't have in abundance.

He's no great shakes but when I look at who else could step in right now it doesn't seem obvious to me.

That said, its time to give McLeod his opportunity in the bottom 6. He's a very different style than Chiasson but McLeod should come in for a trial run while Khaira heads to the press box.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Khaira, after that garbage fire of a game, doesn't hit the ice for optional practice today. Neither does Chiasson.

Koekkoek, Jones, and Turris all do. (as well as Russell, Neal, and the taxi squad guys)

Some guys are hungry for opportunity and playing time, some guys just want to collect their f***ing paycheques.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
We are gluten for punishment as fans.
I wish we had the crust to boycott when they play like butter.
All the players seem to care about is collecting their dough.
giphy.gif

Reactions: voxel

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Khaira, after that garbage fire of a game, doesn't hit the ice for optional practice today. Neither does Chiasson.

Koekkoek, Jones, and Turris all do. (as well as Russell, Neal, and the taxi squad guys)

Some guys are hungry for opportunity and playing time, some guys just want to collect their f***ing paycheques.
Country club mentality. Although there might be one extra letter in that first word...

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Last night's game exposed/confirmed a few things.

Defence is still the soft underbelly of this team. We have no one that can match up to a player of say, Quinn Hughes' skill, and are not good enough overall to make up for it.

Darnell Nurse, goal aside, still makes the same damned mistakes he made 5 years ago, and the brain cramps are still there. Maddening.

Not hard to see why Colorado traded Tyson Barrie, and also why the Leafs walked away from him. Absolutely horrible in his own end, and he'd need to produce about 80 points to make up for all of his deficiencies.

Larsson was terrible.

Have no idea why Nuge continues to be on McDavids line. The guy was on fire when he was with Drai and Yams. Last night, he sleep walked through most of the game, while McD danced. Hopefully Tippett wakes up and gets that line together before the season goes much farther.

Goaltending same as before. Not horrible, but enough to be 2nd best on the night.

Drai was by far the best Oiler on the ice - absolutely dominant. That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad