GDT: #2 | Canucks @ Oilers Round 2 | "Toast" | Jan 14, 7 PM | SN1/SNP

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Get Khaira onto the f***ing taxi squad and get Chaisson off the f***ing powerplay. Get Neal to replace Ennis who was brutal, and Shore to replace Khaira.

Just before Khaira gets into the taxi, remind him nobody else wanted him for free, and that he better start learning Russian if he wants to play hockey next year at all.

Depressing prediction:
Oilers play far better but Jones is exposed as not ready (again), Larsson proves (again) the game has passed him by, Smith passes the puck to Pettersson who scores the tying goal late in the 3rd and then does his sideways 1970's style flop with Horvat on (another) breakaway in extra innings and we lose 5-4 in Oooooooooovertiiiiiiiime.

Last edited:

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I did what I told myself I wasn't going to do yesterday. I stopped doing all of my work to devote to that sh** of a hockey game lol. Not today Oilers. Game will be on in the background, mood will stay light lol. Gotta earn my trust and time again.

Hope they win, don't expect much though.

Reactions: Mez

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
After one loss the mains are already calling our season a fail....imagine TWO losses! It is a must win tonight....for HFoil's sake.

Reactions: TB12

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
The thing that we need to remember is that usually players want a chance to make up for a bad game. If you just bench everyone when they have a bad game that is a great way to kill confidence. If the issue is a lack of work ethic then it can be a useful coaching tool. Of your suggestions:

1) Khaira gets a chance tonight to show that he wants to be a NHL player, if he lays an egg again after just being waived, then he can stay on the taxi squad. Shore makes more sense as the 4C right now than McLeod IMO.

2) Other than the beating that he would take, IMO Yamo on the top unit around the net would be a good thing. Kahun needs more time before getting put into that position if he ever gets there.

3) Give them another game or two before tinkering with that pairing.

I get what you're saying and you're probably right for the most part.

Khaira has basically been playing the same way for years 5 on 5. I dont think hes going to change for our team though.

I am fine with giving Chiasson another shot. I generally like the player. Maybe put Yamamoto on the PP till Chiasson finds his hands.

I am fine with giving Jones - Larsson another shot. In regards to Larsson, I want to like the player but hes just not the same guy he was 3 years ago. (I think his back has derailed him unfortunately). I think hes the type of player, the Oilers could really use, but hes not the same player he used to be. I think Bouchard is going to take his spot sooner than later so maybe its just time to give him some ice time.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
They were buzzing and probably could have scored one and JP took that momentum away.

It was absolutely the wrong time for that and looks bad on his redemption arc, hopefully he has a more meaningful game tonight, Im not sure how much rope he has, he thinks he is better and deserves more, he needs to show it, a few chances isn't much of a showing.
I thought it was a super weak call at the end of the game.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I wonder if that hit from Connor adds some nastiness to this game?
Its a long season where everyone plays each other 9/10 times so I'd say not
it teams were to get hung up on this, they're in for a war every game vs every team

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
A dual reality exists this season:
  1. the players, defensive structure, and special teams units are going to look rusty without them having a regular training camp and exhibition games
  2. every game has added importance because of the 56 game schedule and format of having only in-division games
This season will test the patience of the coaching staff for any contender team that struggles out of the gate.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I get what you're saying and you're probably right for the most part.

Khaira has basically been playing the same way for years 5 on 5. I dont think hes going to change for our team though.

I am fine with giving Chiasson another shot. I generally like the player. Maybe put Yamamoto on the PP till Chiasson finds his hands.

I am fine with giving Jones - Larsson another shot. In regards to Larsson, I want to like the player but hes just not the same guy he was 3 years ago. (I think his back has derailed him unfortunately). I think hes the type of player, the Oilers could really use, but hes not the same player he used to be. I think Bouchard is going to take his spot sooner than later so maybe its just time to give him some ice time.

I think that at times we just look at improving the club without thinking about the negative effect that it could have on some of the players.

Completely agree, if he doesn't show something tonight IMO he can stay on the taxi squad and watch every other player get a shot before him again. I have no patience for him at this point, tonight is the night that he either gets going or he ends up as option Z.

I'm not sure that there's a spot for Chiasson when the team is healthy. I like the player but he has a very limited skillset and it is replicated by Neal.

I like Larsson the person, seems like a solid, hard working guy. But his game has definitely taken some big hits after his back started troubling him. The funny thing is that I only saw the 3rd and felt that he was passing the puck well and surprised me with a really good shot on his goal. The play where he and Jones were up high and left Boeser all alone was inexcusable, but I saw some positives. Jones is being asked to do more so we should all expect growing pains with him.

I'd love to see Bouch get a chance, I just don't think that it will come at the expense of one of the RHD unless injury or illness hits.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hopefully.

If things get nasty we'll run over the Canucks. They dont have a single guy who can hang with Kassian, let alone Nurse.

Didn't Horvat do pretty good against Nurse? Roussel is a d-bag that either would beat. How good of a fighter is Virtanen?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
can you just swap guys in and out off the taxi squad? I thought someone needed to get injured or something
It's no different than calling someone up from the minors. All the taxi squad is, is a group of guys that stays and practices with the team instead of having to report to the AHL.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Sure it will...it will mean we are defending less, and likely not playing from behind.

That’s an assumption, defending poorly matters if we have to defend more or defend less, and we don’t have Grant Fuhr back to bail us out the other way.

Corsi is 14 years old, we need metrics that are more holistic than counting shots for.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I hate how much I like Quinn Hughes as a player
The thing with these Canucks is that I can't even hate any of them. When Rousell plays, he can be a dbag. Motte doesn't even do much bad. They all work hard. Can't hate these guys like the DBAG Kesler Canucks. Thank god they did not win the cup lol.

Calgary I HATE with a passion. The Canucks play the game right.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
That’s an assumption, defending poorly matters if we have to defend more or defend less, and we don’t have Grant Fuhr back to bail us out the other way.

Corsi is 14 years old, we need metrics that are more holistic than counting shots for.

This is the problem I've always had with NHL analytics; in baseball analytics bring you closer to getting a picture of how much a guy adds offensively than boxcar stats. In the NHL, they get you further away.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The thing with these Canucks is that I can't even hate any of them. When Rousell plays, he can be a dbag. Motte doesn't even do much bad. They all work hard. Can't hate these guys like the DBAG Kesler Canucks. Thank god they did not win the cup lol.

I still hate the likes of Edler and Roussel. Edler IMO has always been a cheap player and went under the radar for cheapness.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
The D has to play a dumb down simple version of the position today. FFS don't run around. Stay in your lane.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Calgary I HATE with a passion. The Canucks play the game right.

Agreed, I quite like the Nucks (especially now with Holtby and Schmidt).

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Twice we lost puck battles at the blue line that led directly to goals against. Defensive coverage was extremely suspect in spots, definitely, but the forwards need to get the damn puck out - and for God's sake park Khaira's ass in the press box. That was one of the worst performances by a professional hockey player in recent memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->