GDT: #2 | Canucks @ Oilers Round 2 | "Toast" | Jan 14, 7 PM | SN1/SNP

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think I would go with:

- Shore or McLeod in for Khaira
- Nygard in for Chiasson (which probably isnt possible unless Chiasson is on the taxi squad?)
- Put Yamamoto/Kahun on PP1
- Russell/Bouchard in for Jones/Larsson

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Is it too late to call up Samorukov? If we just need someone to shut down the opposition, then I think he would do a better job than Jones

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If Kahun deserves something, that's on the 1st PP until RNH finds his game.

So 1 game and we're ready to crucify RNH already? I missed the 1st and 2nd periods, but Nuge had a nice feed to Yamamoto in front of the net so he made at least 1 good play yesterday. Yeah let's take an important cog off of the top PP from last season because he had a supposed stinker of a game. Good call, no overreactions here or anything.....

Reactions: TB12

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Is it too late to call up Samorukov? If we just need someone to shut down the opposition, then I think he would do a better job than Jones

Samorukov and Broberg will be finishing their respective seasons before they could come over.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Larsson was bad, but Jones may have been worse. Bouchard should be inserted into the line up today

Jones has mastered the "Klefbom Pinch" by the looks of it.

Make a late pinch that you have no chance on and watch the other team get an odd man rush the other way, but avoid any blame because you're still at the other team's blue line at the time of the chance/goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2 and russ99

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
So 1 game and we're ready to crucify RNH already? I missed the 1st and 2nd periods, but Nuge had a nice feed to Yamamoto in front of the net so he made at least 1 good play yesterday. Yeah let's take an important cog off of the top PP from last season because he had a supposed stinker of a game. Good call, no overreactions here or anything.....
I was just replying to another poster. Moving Kahun up in favor of RNH is disservice to Kahun who was one of the brighter spot on the Oilers last game. It's not up Kahun or Drai or Yamamoto to get RNH going. It's really up to RNH if he wants to show up. We got one line going in Kahun-Drai-Yamo. Now it's up to McDavid or RNH to get the other line going

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think I would go with:

- Shore or McLeod in for Khaira
- Nygard in for Chiasson (which probably isnt possible unless Chiasson is on the taxi squad?)
- Put Yamamoto/Kahun on PP1
- Russell/Bouchard in for Jones/Larsson

The thing that we need to remember is that usually players want a chance to make up for a bad game. If you just bench everyone when they have a bad game that is a great way to kill confidence. If the issue is a lack of work ethic then it can be a useful coaching tool. Of your suggestions:

1) Khaira gets a chance tonight to show that he wants to be a NHL player, if he lays an egg again after just being waived, then he can stay on the taxi squad. Shore makes more sense as the 4C right now than McLeod IMO.

2) Other than the beating that he would take, IMO Yamo on the top unit around the net would be a good thing. Kahun needs more time before getting put into that position if he ever gets there.

3) Give them another game or two before tinkering with that pairing.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Anyone else think Barrie looked really iffy on the PP? Like he's not actually quarterbacking anything but just trying to set up McDrai?

Hopefully he gets some swagger and isn't just there to find those two everytime. He wanted to wind up and uncork it a few times but never really did.
hopefully as time moves on and he gets more comfortable here he will take over, but it definitely seemed like last night he was afraid to take control and definitely looked to feed Mcdavid instead of taking the play himself.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The two changes I would make for todays game would be Shore in for Khaira and Russell in for Jones. I'd then make some small lineup shuffles to the bottom six F and bottom 4 D.

Ennis-Turris-JP
Chaisson-Shore-Archibald

4K-Larsson
Russell-Barrie

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
The two changes I would make for todays game would be Shore in for Khaira and Russell in for Jones. I'd then make some small lineup shuffles to the bottom six F and bottom 4 D.

Ennis-Turris-JP
Chaisson-Shore-Archibald

4K-Larsson
Russell-Barrie
Was impressed with 4K last night. Next to Nurse and Bear he was the best of our blue line.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Larsson was bad, but Jones may have been worse. Bouchard should be inserted into the line up today

Yeah, lets put another young puck mover in with questions about his defensive play, that will fix everything.

We need real changes towards a team defensive concept and execution, and a D-zone start center or those 5 we allowed yesterday are going to keep going in.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Samorukov and Broberg will be finishing their respective seasons before they could come over.
Just realized Samorukov has already played 39 KHL games. About 20 more games to go before the season ends. I think he comes over if the Oilers makes the playoffs

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Yeah, lets put another young puck mover in with questions about his defensive play, that will fix everything.

We need real changes towards a team defensive concept and execution, and a D-zone start center or those 5 we allowed yesterday are going to keep going in.

Sorry, I didn't realize Ryan Suter and Victor Hedman were on our taxi squad:confused:

A good part of the problem again last night is our d inability to get the forwards the puck quick, It was not just about the defending

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I was just replying to another poster. Moving Kahun up in favor of RNH is disservice to Kahun who was one of the brighter spot on the Oilers last game. It's not up Kahun or Drai or Yamamoto to get RNH going. It's really up to RNH if he wants to show up. We got one line going in Kahun-Drai-Yamo. Now it's up to McDavid or RNH to get the other line going

1 game. 1 frickin' game. When I think of a line "going" it means that they are clicking for a number of games, not just a single game. Guys like RNH have the benefit of having a lengthy track record of being productive. If anyone in the top 6 should be concerned about their spot it should be Kassian, especially if Puljujarvi starts playing well and Kass is not.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Anyone else think Barrie looked really iffy on the PP? Like he's not actually quarterbacking anything but just trying to set up McDrai?

Hopefully he gets some swagger and isn't just there to find those two everytime. He wanted to wind up and uncork it a few times but never really did.

I thought the power play looked weird. In my head the suspicion was the forwards were reluctant to pass to Barrie because they didn't want a big slapper to kill the natural flow our forwards get the creates all the chaos leading to our goals.

I dunno. First game. Hard to read too much into it.

Reactions: GOilers88

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I thought he was okay. He was involved in the play, he battled hard in the boards for pucks numerous times.

Crappy penalty to end the game but I don't think that really factored into much at that point.
They were buzzing and probably could have scored one and JP took that momentum away.

It was absolutely the wrong time for that and looks bad on his redemption arc, hopefully he has a more meaningful game tonight, Im not sure how much rope he has, he thinks he is better and deserves more, he needs to show it, a few chances isn't much of a showing.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Sorry, I didn't realize Ryan Suter and Victor Hedman were on our taxi squad:confused:

A good part of the problem again last night is our d inability to get the forwards the puck quick, I was not just about the defending

Getting the forwards the puck quick isn’t going to fix anything about how we play in our zone without the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad