GDT: #2 | Canucks @ Oilers Round 2 | "Toast" | Jan 14, 7 PM | SN1/SNP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Stepping in to make this GDT because @Cloned has a 0.00% win record all year.

Keys to the Game
Sponsored by The McToaster™
(And inspired by @ElysiumAB's wonderful thread)

upload_2021-1-14_18-46-35.png

• No more crumby decisions in our own end. Some of our defensemen yesterday looked as clueless as animals bread in captivity.

• The bottom-6 has got to perform butter today.

• Kassian, Khaira, etc have to step up if things get heated. Don't be afraid to feed Roussel a good knuckle sandwich.

• Tippett must be willing change up the lines when things start to get stale.

• Play an entire 60 minutes. We always get burnt when we show up for a period or two rather than the whole grain. (Sorry, that was bad)
  • Mike Smith kneads to stay in his net, assuming he gets the start tonight.
If the Oilers can do all these things, the Canucks are toast.

. . .

And now, for a quick commercial break.
Sorry @Ginger Papa

Do you ever find yourself wishing your toast was softer? The kind of toast that falls apart at the lightest of touches? Introducing...

The Elias Pettersson Toaster!
Where the toast pops and then flops

upload_2021-1-14_18-38-26.png

. . .

Projected Lines

:edmonton

RNH - McDavid - Kassian
Kahun - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Archibald - Turris - Puljujarvi
Ennis - Khaira - Chiasson

Nurse - Bear
Jones - Larsson
Koekkoek - Barrie

Smith

:nucks

Boeser - Pettersson - Virtanen
Pearson - Horvat - Hoglander
Roussel - Gaudette - MacEwen
Motte - Beagle - Sutter

Edler - Schmidt
Hughes - Hamonic
Myers - Juolevi

Demko

. . .

Go Oilers!​

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
The exact same lines eh? I guess you give them a shot to put on their big boy pants.

I'd have gone back to Koski too. Back to back be damned

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Anyone else think Barrie looked really iffy on the PP? Like he's not actually quarterbacking anything but just trying to set up McDrai?

Hopefully he gets some swagger and isn't just there to find those two everytime. He wanted to wind up and uncork it a few times but never really did.

Reactions: Aerchon

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Prediction for tonight is that team shows up but Smith is Smith and we lose another one and Oil Country goes insane.
It definitely felt like the team showed up to play for smith a lot more than they did for koskinen last year, despite smith not always showing up himself.

Reactions: Cypress

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Anyone else think Barrie looked really iffy on the PP? Like he's not actually quarterbacking anything but just trying to set up McDrai?

Hopefully he gets some swagger and isn't just there to find those two everytime. He wanted to wind up and uncork it a few times but never really did.

yeah, I’m going to chalk that up to learning the system and deferring to the guys who made it work last year until he’s comfortable enough to put his own touch on it.

if there’s one thing I’m not worried about with Barrie, it’s his PP performance

Reactions: ujju2 and GOilers88

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton

Felt like he was taking every pass on his backhand, they're not used to a RHD back there. He didn't play well, but I like that he wanted to shoot on the PP. Hopefully it's just rust.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

He only had one side to work with. They kept collapsing low and forcing RNH to only pass back to Barrie.

Too easy to defend a left-handed shot on that side.

Last edited:

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
In hind sight a very big part of the reason we lost is due to the fact that we didn't convert on our scoring chances. McDavid, Draisaitl, Kahun, and Yamamoto had 2 huge chances to score each and had 0 luck. Canucks scored on almost all their big opportunities mostly thanks to our poor defensive play.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
yeah, I’m going to chalk that up to learning the system and deferring to the guys who made it work last year until he’s comfortable enough to put his own touch on it.

if there’s one thing I’m not worried about with Barrie, it’s his PP performance
Not really worried yet but we do have Bouch bomb ready on the taxi squad if Barrie can't produce on PP. Barrie's leash won't be too long

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
In hind sight a very big part of the reason we lost is due to the fact that we didn't convert on our scoring chances. McDavid, Draisaitl, Kahun, and Yamamoto had 2 huge chances to score each and had 0 luck. Canucks scored on almost all their big opportunities mostly thanks to our poor defensive play.
Both teams were very sloppy defensively. Oilers just also had 3 plays where a player made a baffling mistake

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Yamo did convert though.

friendly poster

Jan 14, 2021
A few thoughts.

The Jones-Larsson pairing is not going to work. In fact, I don't think Adam Larsson should be playing in the NHL. The thought process going into the season by the coaching staff was erroneous -- long gone are the days of pairing a slow, immobile, 'physical' defenceman with a smaller, faster, 'puck-moving' defenceman. This isn't the 80's. All of your defencemen need to be capable of skating and passing in the modern NHL. The meta demands this of each and every player. If you are incapable, you become a brutal hindrance to your team. Sometimes the option to go D-to-D isn't there. We saw what happens when a slow defenceman is exposed tonight in a few games. Bogosian, Hamonic, Larsson. The idea of a big stay at home defenceman in the NHL is long gone. They don't serve a purpose. Skill players are laughing maniacally at the prospect of getting out on the ice against a Larsson or a Hamonic. They're drooling. Look at what McDavid did to Hamonic tonight...it was embarrassing. Larsson lacks capability due to regression or injury or confidence or what have you. He is never going to be a good defenceman in the NHL. You can immediately see a guy like Koekkoek in contrast who is a league minimum, waiver wire tier player. Showed immediately that he brings more value to a team trying to win hockey games tonight.

I liked Caleb Jones' game. Like the SN panel said (think it was Bieksa actually), the pinch Jones made to try and keep the puck in the zone was smart. Kassian did a swell job of coming back to break up the play and Larsson totally failed to read the situation correctly. I liked how Jones was our most active defenceman skating into the play. He made a really great stop-up play once he skated into the offensive zone at one point and made a nice pace to a winger crashing the net. Top defencemen in the NHL do that. While Jones isn't anything like a top defenceman, you can see in his confidence and offensive awareness that he can offer the team something that the rest of our D seemingly can not, which is a regular offensive threat as a rover or trailer into the zone. He was like a waterbug out there. Didn't play too many minutes, but I would chalk that up to being due to paired with Larsson who was having a horrific outing (with Koekkoek and Nurse both looking decent). I am excited to see what he brings to the game tonight if Russell isn't drawn into his spot.

Barrie looked bad. Nurse looked better than he did last season in my opinion. Bear struggled with handling the puck at times and I hope he sorts that out soon. He might be our most important defenceman this year.

Speaking of lineup changes, I doubt we see any on the defence. Only one game in, you can't sewer some of your players you hope to be regulars this year. You can't sit Larsson after one poor outing, even though you'd like to get a look at Bouchard. Russell may draw in for Jones but I feel that would be a mistake. You know what you get with guys like Russell and Larsson -- consistent disadvantage when they're on the ice. We can take a quick look at the CF%'s of last night and try to discern something from them.

You have the Draisaitl line at 54-51-51 %'s respectively. You have McDavid alone at 48%, then you have Bear and Jones at 47% and 46%. Larsson at 40%, Koekkoek and Barrie at 36%. The line of Ennis-Khaira-Chiasson at ~10%.

Contrasted to the Canucks defence, we see Juolevi at 85%. Hughes and Myers at 60%. Their only defenceman below 50% was Schmidt and he was up against Draisaitl's line who looked brilliant for a lot of the game. We are beginning to notice the same trend as last season, only one game in. Bear & Jones leading the team in CF%, Nurse middling, and Larsson + the rest of the D consistently costing us games.

Let's talk a bit about the forwards...

RNH-McDavid-Kassian was a shit show. McDavid almost single-handedly won us the game off multiple big rushes and opportunities with no assistance from either of his linemates. That was the worst game I've ever seen from RNH, and Kassian played his usual role of mostly-useless. Had that pass of his not gone through the Canuck defenders legs to Nurse, then Kassian would've been a total non-factor tonight like usual. Really disappointing effort from both of them, although I am a firm believer that Kassian should be playing on the 4th line. It is clear that we need to find some sort of alteration here. I think I am going to start trying to track how many times McDavid gets the puck with speed out of his own zone compared to other star centres. Total travesty that we are sullying the potential of one of the best players ever, putting him out on the ice with a guy who can barely handle the puck or think the game. Kassian ain't too good either ;)

Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto got better as the game went on. Yamo looked really bad to start the game off and got better. That was our only good line tonight and you can't win with one line going. Kudos to them. Kahun looks like a good signing so far. Seems to have really good awareness and knows to defer to Leon when possible. Crashed the net hard on a few opportunities as well. Solid.

Archibald-Turris-Puljujarvi ... this line looked bad at times, and good at times. I don't think Archibald is a fit on that line, and I don't think Turris is near game shape yet. At least I hope he isn't. Really poor showing from him. Handled the puck like a grenade while being quite slow in his decision making and movement. Stark contrast to Puljujarvi who was flying all over the ice like a wild man last night. Loved to see that from him. Still looks lost out there, out of control. Seems like he's an alien species, or the equivalent of a dog playing fetch. Big goofy grin, going turbo speed in whatever direction the ball is headed. Head over heels at times. Lowest IQ of any hockey player I've seen in my entire life, but he is entertaining to watch at least. I think he might end up as a solid player for us. Give him 10-20 games and re-evaluate.

Ennis-Khaira-Chiasson was the worst line we've put together since I started watching in 2005. Khaira and Chiasson should not be in the NHL, and Ennis should be moved up the lineup as an experiment...in Archibald's spot. I pray we never have to watch that combination of Khaira-Chiasson play together again. An abhorrent mess on ice. Something like 1 chance for, 10 against last night in real limited ice time. That's gotta go.

Surely Tippett is going to be replacing one or both of them for tonight, right? Shore in Khaira's spot? Nygard in for Chiasson? Swap Archibald over to RW in Chiasson's spot and move Nygard onto the LW on Turris' line or put Ennis there with Nygard on the 4th? Anything. That has to be fixed. We can not afford to be running a line that you know will produce nothing and be manhandled all over the ice. It's not going to lead to success in the modern NHL.

I think the biggest thing we can take from this game is that our defence needs something to change. I don't think the coaching staff is comfortable trying Bouchard in Larsson's spot which is understandable, but I would love to see a game of that. Ideally, and unrealistic, below are my fantasy ideal lines going into tonight.

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Nygard-Turris-Ennis
Benson-Shore/Mcleod-Kassian

Jones-Bear
Nurse-Bouchard
Koekkoek-Barrie

Can swap them around, but I think if Jones-Bear can hold their own, you go with that.

Good luck tonight fellas.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
I can why Smith gets the start tonight. All players look rusty. He's going to need to shake off the rust as well and needs to play to get into game.

Hoping the boys have a fire lit after yesterday's performance and come out with more purpose tonight.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

He's a completely different player than Klefbom and a righty to boot so with no preseason, it's going to take these guys a while to click. The PP is the least of my worries when it comes to Barrie.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We had no less than 5 new players on the ice yesterday. Kahun, Barrie, Turris, Pulju and Koekoek. Then add in that we had a guy playing further up the lineup than he's used to in Jones. As much as we all want a fast start from the team, I think that we have to keep that in mind and just hope that they click soon. Yamamoto's game was very promising IMO.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
We had no less than 5 new players on the ice yesterday. Kahun, Barrie, Turris, Pulju and Koekoek. Then add in that we had a guy playing further up the lineup than he's used to in Jones. As much as we all want a fast start from the team, I think that we have to keep that in mind and just hope that they click soon. Yamamoto's game was very promising IMO.
Yamo is the kind of guy who I feel is going to infect everyone eventually with his tenacity. How anyone can play with a guy like that for any length of time and not adopt his work ethic would be beyond me.

Love that little dude.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Good to get right back in. Payback time. Last night Oilers were ~57% favourites to win. Not much is gonna change, other than goalies. And you shouldn't really draw too many conclusions from one game. Koskinen -> Smith means about 2 percentage points less. 55% should be fairly close.

Need to be a lot better in own zone. And 3 of 4 lines can't get outshot, outchanced and outscored.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
He's a completely different player than Klefbom and a righty to boot so with no preseason, it's going to take these guys a while to click. The PP is the least of my worries when it comes to Barrie.
I honestly can't recall if they did the same thing last year that they did last night, where one guy quickly brings the puck to center ice,drops it back, and all four other guys stand absolutely still at the blue line while the one guy now has to break through a line of opposing penalty killers.

I've watched the Canucks do this for years and have always hated it. Is that what we did last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad