$2.9 million a season or $500 a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadoz19

May 21, 2004
Chili said:
Scott Gomez signs with ECHL team.

If money isn't everything, then why is any form of salary cap/cost certainty a 'non starter' for cba negotiations?

Same for him and all the players who went to Europe. Its more about keeping in shape. What else are they gonna do? They know the NHL will return eventually. Its just a question of when.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
"Money isn't everything" doesn't equate to saying "Money doesn't matter."

If the owners (keep in mind, even the teams that are owned by local ownership groups are owned by mostly very, very rich people), care enough about making money in the NHL to lock out the players, why can't the players care enough about making money in the NHL to stick to their guns about not tying player salaries to revenues? (I'm not so sure the players will lose money under such a situation, but I can understand their position.)

chara

Mar 31, 2004
shadoz19 said:
Same for him and all the players who went to Europe. Its more about keeping in shape. What else are they gonna do? They know the NHL will return eventually. Its just a question of when.

"Thanks Scotty," says the guy who lost his job to Scott Gomez and now has to go on food stamps.

Yeah, what else can Gomez do but steal a job from a guy who doesn't have the luxury of just "keeping in shape." For those guys, $500 a week pays the bills and puts food on the table.

Interestingly, the NHL refs are in the same boat but they have collectively said that they will not take jobs away from other guys in the developmental leagues and last time I checked they're not making anywhere near 2.9M.

Scott Gomez is worse than a 'scab'. Financially, he doesn't need to take someone else's job.

Shame on the NHLPA. Period.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
It was his use of the phrase 'no brainer' and then 'money's not everything' that struck me.

If the current impasse isn't about money then what is it?

shadoz19

May 21, 2004
Chili said:
It was his use of the phrase 'no brainer' and then 'money's not everything' that struck me.

Its the Short-term.

Pavel

Mar 1, 2004
Houston
chara said:
Scott Gomez is worse than a 'scab'. Financially, he doesn't need to take someone else's job.

Exactly. There are plenty of ways "to stay in shape". Stealing someone else's job is not the best way to do that. The NHLPA should be buying ice time for there members who need to stay in shape. They should not stealing jobs from others in their profession.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
shadoz19 said:
When Gomez made those comments, he was only thinking of the short-term. The lock out will last what a year? 2 years max?

That's true...but if it were to last two years, we'll see if he's making the same comments. I'm convinced that some of his brethren won't be.

shadoz19

May 21, 2004
Chili said:
That's true...but if it were to last two years, we'll see if he's making the same comments. I'm convinced that some of his brethren won't be.

I'll agree with you on that.

YellHockey*

Chili said:
Scott Gomez signs with ECHL team.

If money isn't everything, then why is any form of salary cap/cost certainty a 'non starter' for cba negotiations?

It's the principle for the players. They want a fair share of the revenues and the only way to accurately do that is with some kind of a free market for player services.

For the owners it is all about money though.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The ECHL and other leagues tend to have quite a bit of goonery atleast from what I've seen. It isn't hard to imagine a guy (or few guys) with absolutely nothing to lose taking huge runs at these NHL players playing in these leagues for no particular reason except to stay in shape. Even without getting run injuries can happen quite easily. Just ask nieminen who broke his wrist and is gone for the year. Seems silly to risk a season of earnings, perhaps a career, take someones job who REALLY needs the money just to stay in shape. Can't help but wonder if the NHLPA has it in the back of their minds when to capitulate. IF they were prepared to sit the season why even worry that much about staying in shape.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
BlackRedGold said:
It's the principle for the players. They want a fair share of the revenues and the only way to accurately do that is with some kind of a free market for player services.

One way to get a fair share is to negotiate it into a CBA so that share always remains the same.

Holly Gunning

Mar 9, 2002
out and about
Visit site
tantalum said:
The ECHL and other leagues tend to have quite a bit of goonery atleast from what I've seen.
Must be a while since you've seen the league then. That used to be true many years ago, but is not the case anymore at all. The UHL, yes probably, but that's a very different animal than the ECHL.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
BlackRedGold said:

It is about money for the owners but spinning things as 'principle' for the players is far fetched, imo. Their principle here is money for themselves.

A cba should be a give and take meeting of the two sides.

The NHL isn't the first business that has had to make drastic changes to make their business sound again. The players place more emphasis on hanging on to what they have then looking down the road here. Which would seem to include teams folding and players losing jobs completely at some point. I don't think the principle will help those those players. They will feel like they have gotten "the strap".

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
BlackRedGold said:

It's about money for both sides...

And egos...

You write however that they want their "fair share". This is where you lose people. The players want whatever the free market will dictate, while the owners want to in a sense, "share" revenue with the league. If tieing player salaries to revenue isn't sharing, I don't know what is?

For the record, I'm angry with both sides...

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
txomisc said:
that doesnt make any sense at all to me. its like he thinks that if he didnt sign with the team that noone else would take that spot

Yes it does. He means he's not taking a job from someone who would have already been there. The spot he is taking would have been open for tryout. There is a difference between that and taking "$500" away from from someone who was trying to put food on the table as someone so dramatically put it.

Also, I guess people didn't actually read the article in vilifying Gomez.

In joining the East Coast Hockey League's Aces, Gomez turned down an invitation from Igor Larionov to play for Khimik of the Russian Elite league. That deal might have earned him between $500,000 and $1 million, but Gomez says he prefers to repay some of the support he received from Anchorage as a boy

Obviously, he is the devil incarnate that he would rather starve some poor alaskan fisherman whose only dream it was to play semi, semi pro hockey by taking his job, rather than play for up to a million in Russia.

I.am.ca

Too many of the players are chickenshyt. They dont want to be singled out by the other members if they speak up and say yeah we need to control salaries.

Jagr made 142,875 dollars per game (77), if you want to go by goals he made 354,838 dollars per goal (31), the guy can buy a house every time he scores a damn goal.

I commend Ference, Kolnik and Ribeiro and also Brodeur for speaking up.

Last edited by a moderator:

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
chara said:
"Thanks Scotty," says the guy who lost his job to Scott Gomez and now has to go on food stamps.

Yeah, what else can Gomez do but steal a job from a guy who doesn't have the luxury of just "keeping in shape." For those guys, $500 a week pays the bills and puts food on the table.

Interestingly, the NHL refs are in the same boat but they have collectively said that they will not take jobs away from other guys in the developmental leagues and last time I checked they're not making anywhere near 2.9M.

In the players defence (those taking jobs in europe anyway...), most european nations have very good unemployment packages...

Last edited:

I.am.ca

chara said:

Yeah exactly, NHL players are making some pretty good money, so when a lockout comes they go and steal money away from guys that can't go back n forth the way the NHL players can go to Euro leagues or elsewhere.

NHLPA is a bunch of crap, they will ***** when they have replacement players, but their own damn players are replacing players on other teams and putting other PLAYERS out of work.

Good job that PLAYERS union..all about the PLAYERS...sure. :shakehead

Chili

Jun 10, 2004

me2 said:

The egos don't want to make the first move...but the root problem is still money, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->