GDT: 2/7/15 - 5:00PM EDT - Los Angeles VS Tampa Bay

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Really? I hope that it wasn't anything bad and something they talked about after the game. Don't want any rifts on the team.

There's no way Stamkos isn't frustrated right now with his own play. If we've noticed it all season, he's noticing it. He doesn't strike me as a guy who would be okay with just being "pretty good."

That said, I thought he was pretty decent for most of the game. He looked dangerous to me.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
im actually not on edge of seat every game with these defenders and not yelling screaming head off at them.

Maybe is cause get the lack of experience and am softer then I was in past?

Yet I have not been overly impressed with them but I am also not down on them like I was entire season for carle.

So is probably some lower expectations but we dont look clueless out there all the time most of the time we do a decent job clearning getting puck movement to other end etc.. not giving up 10 odd mans a game etc..

So I have been ok and was ok today. That is the calling out thing?

Am I missing something or just have lower expectations? Since they are all basically rookies? I think really overall they are doing a good job as a whole that is each one. Would love to see someone step up besides nesterov and shock me with some offensive skills say sustr or barberio lol but they just dont seem to have it or lost it etc.. most of the time:)

They're still better than last year's group, and miles better than the year before. But we're still prone to breakdowns that lead to goals, which is why we give up among the fewest shots per game, but among the highest, if not the highest, scoring chances per shots.

ArmaHedman

Nov 30, 2006
Sarasota, FL
I have to say that while watching the game last night I was pretty upset with the result. Frustrated enough that I turned the channel with a minute left and I almost never do that.

However after reading some of this thread and having slept on the game it's certainly not all doom and gloom.

We all knew the schedule for this month was brutal and when you add in our injuries on D right now we actually did not play that badly. I think Robert is right, our D has looked better than it has the past couple years.

I think we are still missing a piece (or 2) back there. I don't think Stammer has really found any chemistry with any line mates yet. The only person he has really looked in sync with is Drouin.

Even with our injuries and Stammer without any solid line mates I still think our biggest issue is the PP. If our PP could score any timely / important goals we are a head and shoulders a better team.

Well I am going to the game tonight against the Ducks with my son and nephew. It will be a tough game, and I will try to keep a level head (sometimes that is hard for me to do! :help:).

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have to say that while watching the game last night I was pretty upset with the result. Frustrated enough that I turned the channel with a minute left and I almost never do that.

However after reading some of this thread and having slept on the game it's certainly not all doom and gloom.

We all knew the schedule for this month was brutal and when you add in our injuries on D right now we actually did not play that badly. I think Robert is right, our D has looked better than it has the past couple years.

I think we are still missing a piece (or 2) back there. I don't think Stammer has really found any chemistry with any line mates yet. The only person he has really looked in sync with is Drouin.

Even with our injuries and Stammer without any solid line mates I still think our biggest issue is the PP. If our PP could score any timely / important goals we are a head and shoulders a better team.

Well I am going to the game tonight against the Ducks with my son and nephew. It will be a tough game, and I will try to keep a level head (sometimes that is hard for me to do! :help:).

I don't know if I accept that if Stamkos' current line-mates don't have chemistry. We see a few games now where they score a few goals, and are looking much better. It seems we are now getting two good back to back games, and one bad one. Before it seemed like one good, one bad, one good, one bad, and etc. I see progress, but don't know what to think.

I think more of the issue is with Stamkos, and even if we throw a guy like Kucherov on there, it will be the same results, imo. Will look hot right out of the box but then get cold.

As per the PP, I am a big Stralman fan, but don't think he is the answer for that Right point on the PP. We need a guy with a great shot to let it fly. You put Stamkos on the left side, you have shots coming from both sides, while Callahan screening and doing his thing in front of the net.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't know if I accept that if Stamkos' current line-mates don't have chemistry. We see a few games now where they score a few goals, and are looking much better. It seems we are now getting two good back to back games, and one bad one. Before it seemed like one good, one bad, one good, one bad, and etc. I see progress, but don't know what to think.

I think more of the issue is with Stamkos, and even if we throw a guy like Kucherov on there, it will be the same results, imo. Will look hot right out of the box but then get cold.

As per the PP, I am a big Stralman fan, but don't think he is the answer for that Right point on the PP. We need a guy with a great shot to let it fly. You put Stamkos on the left side, you have shots coming from both sides, while Callahan screening and doing his thing in front of the net.

Flip and Callahan cycle the puck, Stamkos doesn't. I'd say it's more like 1 out of 3-4 games they look good as a line because Stamkos looks good 1 out of every 3-4 games or so. It's not enough. Stamkos could score a hat trick next game and that line will still be garbage because they'll go invisible for the next 3 games. They're a line by default right now. But I don't know how you see anything resembling chemistry between anyone other than Cally and Flip. Other than that 1 out of 4 games, whenever something good happens, it's an individual effort.

Bolts265

Nov 9, 2011
Zephyrhills, FL
Or Hedman who shoots wide on purpose. I'm not buying that at all:shakehead. Isn't the idea of someone screening the goalie to allow a blazer from the point to find the back of the net? How does shooting wide 80% of the time accomplish this?

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Flip and Callahan cycle the puck, Stamkos doesn't. I'd say it's more like 1 out of 3-4 games they look good as a line because Stamkos looks good 1 out of every 3-4 games or so. It's not enough. Stamkos could score a hat trick next game and that line will still be garbage because they'll go invisible for the next 3 games. They're a line by default right now. But I don't know how you see anything resembling chemistry between anyone other than Cally and Flip. Other than that 1 out of 4 games, whenever something good happens, it's an individual effort.

Agree. It's a matter of play-styles. Callahan is a grinder/cycler. Flip is a puck possession cycler(think Sedins - telepathy). Stamkos is awful with the puck and he's currently only marginally tolerable without it. It's a shame the other lines are working fine together because there's no one left to cycle through shifts with Stamkos in an attempt to get him to perform.

Guess we're getting to see how much space and time Marty and Malone/Purcell actually created for Stamkos. The best thing about all of this is, Stamkos and that line are liabilities defensively as well. It's not like they're playing well in other areas of the game while working on the offense. That line is as close to dysfunctional as a line can be without being dismantled.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Honestly I don't and it is making me hate Stamkos knowing these guys are doing what they are suppose to be doing and then some and he can't cash in.

If that line is going to work someone, actually everyone is going to have to play differently.

I still would like to see a line of Drouin - Stamkos - Callahan before giving up on this.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Honestly I don't and it is making me hate Stamkos knowing these guys are doing what they are suppose to be doing and then some and he can't cash in.

If that line is going to work someone, actually everyone is going to have to play differently.

I still would like to see a line of Drouin - Stamkos - Callahan before giving up on this.

Callahan's not enough of a "rush" player for Stamkos's wing. Flip-Cally should be a pair. I know you want Callahan to score, but if he never scores another point as a Bolt, we will still be among the leading scoring teams. His scoring is really little more than a bonus to all the other things he brings. X-Flip-Cally > X-Stamkos-Cally.

The best line we've seen Stamkos on all year, IMO, was Killorn-Stamkos-Drouin. Drouin and Killer can cycle, but they also hit the line with a lot of speed, which we're learning is a must for Stamkos at even strength.

I'm starting to wonder how much of Stamkos's struggles come from him trying to figure out how to create offense in a cycle. I really thought he played well last game, and you could see him trying to generate the cycle, and it made me wonder if he's just dedicated to the process of becoming a different type of offensive player. I really don't know. But the guy appears to have every physical tool he's ever had, all operating at 100%, and yet everything he tries falls apart in his hands.

All that said, we have three solid lines right now, so Stamkos gets whatever's left. Which right now is Flip and Cally.

Although I should say I feel like Drouin really struggled last game, probably because of the size and strength of LA. Paquette seemed to thrive though.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'm starting to wonder how much of Stamkos's struggles come from him trying to figure out how to create offense in a cycle. I really thought he played well last game, and you could see him trying to generate the cycle, and it made me wonder if he's just dedicated to the process of becoming a different type of offensive player. I really don't know. But the guy appears to have every physical tool he's ever had, all operating at 100%, and yet everything he tries falls apart in his hands.

Probably the most annoying trait of Stamkos, every other tool he has is great but he doesn't have "skilled" hands, never has, so stop trying to go between the legs or thread that impossible pass, guy can play the cycle game as long as he keeps everything simple. Also stop letting Stamkos carry the play, he works best when the pucks on and off his stick quickly.

On the sidenote, what's our winrate in the blacks? it's gotta be terrible from the games I can recall.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Comparatively speaking, it likely is because of their alternate status, but the Lightning have dropped three games in blue (Ottawa, New Jersey, Washington) and three games in black (San Jose, Columbus, yesterday).

As far as games won in black? Hmm...

NY Islanders
Minnesota
Ottawa
Carolina
Colorado
Columbus

So...6-3-0.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Comparatively speaking, it likely is because of their alternate status, but the Lightning have dropped three games in blue (Ottawa, New Jersey, Washington) and three games in black (San Jose, Columbus, yesterday).

As far as games won in black? Hmm...

NY Islanders
Minnesota
Ottawa
Carolina
Colorado
Columbus

So...6-3-0.

Damn that's actually pretty good haha.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i get everyone with power play and the top line issues

but part of this process is our youth and some of it has to be factored in.

We are inconsistent as a team etc.. That will change over time and this line flipper cally stamkos might actually work better in time.

Yet you take a game like tonight?

Third period even part of second?

IT SEEMED we were in penalty box for 35 minutes was maddening

Those are things that affect that top line greatly imo and something we flat out overlook daily

timing matters of penalties and how many we take and how many in a row or how long etc...

I think we we talk on a lot of these subjects we overlook small things or areas etc.. like this often.

We wll be more consistent in many if not all areas at some point

unfortunately we have to wait and let that type of thing develop into its own course.

I am not against drouin stamkos but also do not think cally stamkos is the problem have said all year is flipper.

Also think flipper is better being leader of killer paquette
but im not the boss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad