GDT: 2/5/18 - 9:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Edmonton

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Dumb play by Namestnikov.. The rule is pretty clear on that one.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
This team needs a huge wake up call. Hedman came back early so there's zero excuse to play this poorly.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
If Yzerman doesn't land a defenseman that can actually defend prior to the deadline we won't be winning anything. That's a guarantee. The mighty 86 and 91 have done f*** all the past couple weeks, and the defense is in shamble. Boston has to be excited thinking this soft ass team will give them trouble. All you gotta do is stop Kucherov and Stamkos from getting a shot after the drop pass 5 feet in the zone and apply pressure on the defense and you murder us.

This is happening a lot lately even in wins where we can't sustain a forecheck, nor can we seem to stop getting hemmed in our zone and beaten to a pulp for periods at a time. Not chicken little'ing but my goodness, this team needs to WAKE UP.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
If Yzerman doesn't land a defenseman that can actually defend prior to the deadline we won't be winning anything. That's a guarantee. The mighty 86 and 91 have done **** all the past couple weeks, and the defense is in shamble. Boston has to be excited thinking this soft ass team will give them trouble. All you gotta do is stop Kucherov and Stamkos from getting a shot after the drop pass 5 feet in the zone and apply pressure on the defense and you murder us.

This is happening a lot lately even in wins where we can't sustain a forecheck, nor can we seem to stop getting hemmed in our zone and beaten to a pulp for periods at a time. Not chicken little'ing but my goodness, this team needs to WAKE UP.
Everyone keeps talking about getting help on D. This is the smallest forward lineup in the league. Smurfs. No power forwards. Big Dmen that play small. We need power forwards. Yes, too soft.

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If Yzerman doesn't land a defenseman that can actually defend prior to the deadline we won't be winning anything. That's a guarantee. The mighty 86 and 91 have done **** all the past couple weeks, and the defense is in shamble. Boston has to be excited thinking this soft ass team will give them trouble. All you gotta do is stop Kucherov and Stamkos from getting a shot after the drop pass 5 feet in the zone and apply pressure on the defense and you murder us.

It's hard to disagree with this. We got fat on 3 lines playing like the Harlem Globetrotters every time they hit the ice and now our defense is being put to work. It ain't pretty.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Everyone keeps talking about getting help on D. This is the smallest forward lineup in the league. Smurfs. No power forwards. Big Dmen that play small. We need power forwards. Yes, too soft.

Fully understand but we have pretty average defensemen on the back end. You don't need Norris candidates back there as Pittsburgh showed you can get by without stars but the rookies have been getting beaten constantly. Coburn is a liability most nights and food for a poorly timed penalty. Girardi missing has hurt a little lately. The worst is Hedman and Stralman being split up to baby sit Dotchin and Sergachev. I'll give Sergachev a longer leash given his potential, no problem, but we've seen enough of Dotchin to see he shouldn't be in the top 4. He's killing it out there and in a bad way. We need a solid defenseman, right now we are running with two pairings in the top four with a good defenseman and one we can expect mistakes from. Can't have that in the playoffs.

We do need a power forward but I'm less concerned with production up front and it's clear after all these years Yzerman has little care towards putting someone with size up front. Meaning, he won't go out of the way to bring in one so I don't expect it. Though a trade for Rick Nash would be phenomenal.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Gourde, Conacher and Point are why I don't fret about our size as much this year in comparison to previous years. They have exceptional hands down low and go to the dirty areas, Gourde especially.

I'd love to add somebody with some size and speed up front but I think that's a bit of a luxury that won't be addressed before the deadline whereas landing somebody that can defend and isn't day dreaming, is essential. Maybe not last year but definitely this year given our scoring and shaky defense.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
:laugh:

The worst is Hedman and Stralman being split up to baby sit Dotchin and Sergachev. I'll give Sergachev a longer leash given his potential, no problem, but we've seen enough of Dotchin to see he shouldn't be in the top 4. He's killing it out there and in a bad way. We need a solid defenseman, right now we are running with two pairings in the top four with a good defenseman and one we can expect mistakes from. Can't have that in the playoffs.

This is definitely a big part of the problem. Dotchin hung in there okay for the last of last season, but he has been a definite liability way too often this season. He'll have one good game and then problems for the next three or so.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad