2/4 TSN Insider Trading... entry draft, testing and more

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
No, but they did call up a CHL prospect on an emergency basis in year one.

Once upon a time, the Sharks called up a drafted goalie from the CHL on an emergency basis. VGK went through five goalies in the NHL in 2017-18, including calling up prospect Dylan Ferguson from CHL on emergency basis.

I was going to mention that Vegas did bring up Ferguson for a game. Obviously an unusual situation, but it can happen, especially regarding goalies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I gave it some further thought of NHL perhaps pushing the 2021 draft back a year and if the league wants to do that then to me our first pick is not just worth that much anymore or is it that well exciting anymore. I would be perfectly all for Seattle to trade it away and get aplayer that can contribute sooner or in another case right away and later round picks. Instead of waiting 2-3 years (depending on the player) its going to be 3-4 years (that includes the year due to delaying the draft a year but its just my opinion) before we see that player on the roster (again that depends on the player). My attention would be on the 2022 draft pool cause its a stronger draft not the 2021 draft pool.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Not only brought up, but played (in relief).

Of course, that's what I meant. I remember him in particular because he grew up in Lantzville which is about an hour from my own hometown, and there are not a lot of NHLers from around there.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Every team is in the same boat, so no team has an advantage.

It will simply mean that the 2021 draft will be one where draft lists will vary wildly between teams.

Whether they push the 2021 draft back to like Christmas or something to give teams an extra 25 games to scout players, that's something they can discuss.

But, the top rated players in this draft, Power, Clarke, Eklund, Evindsson, etc. are any really making the NHL for the 21-22 season? Realistically, no.

But, this is something the NHL and PA need to discuss and agree to.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Every team is in the same boat, so no team has an advantage.

It will simply mean that the 2021 draft will be one where draft lists will vary wildly between teams.

Whether they push the 2021 draft back to like Christmas or something to give teams an extra 25 games to scout players, that's something they can discuss.

But, the top rated players in this draft, Power, Clarke, Eklund, Evindsson, etc. are any really making the NHL for the 21-22 season? Realistically, no.

But, this is something the NHL and PA need to discuss and agree to.

But will they be ready for 22-23 season? I would say not as much ready as they would be now. By having the draft delayed a year means who would been drafted this year would miss out in having better training instructions provided.

Teams take look a look at their drafted players during pre-season games or camp give them instructions on what they can do to improve things then work on those things down with their club that were drafted from then come back a year later and see where things are at then. There is only so much you can gain at the current club they are playing at.

eli4spetterss0n

Jul 9, 2013
White Rock, BC
To be honest I can't think of a single reason not to push the draft a year, especially with what is considered a weaker draft class. None of the top prospects are projected to jump to the NHL in year 1 and make an immediate impact. If they do make their team it'll most likely result in the team rushing their development. Which will almost certainly be the case for whichever team picks 1st overall, as for whatever reason they're afraid of the optics of being the first team since the 2007 Blues to not have the #1 pick playing in the NHL immediately.

The argument that the draft can't be pushed back a year because Seattle might need their first round pick to play 1 game for them is straight up nonsensical lol. They will probably land a deal to share an AHL team for their debut season, like how Vancouver and St. Louis are doing this season.

Reactions: r0bert8841

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
With season ending in July, teams will also be pushed WRT scheduling prospect summer camp.

It's the one opportunity a team's NCAA players have at any NHL development work for the year.

And all prospect camps were cancelled summer 2020.

I can imagine teams may choose to hold such camps during the NHL playoffs (other conflicts notwithstanding), especially if the draft is delayed. Otherwise, they might want to wait until a week or so after the draft (or early August before CHL camps start) for prospect camp.

(There's also the early August tournament that might need to be worked around.)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

2/11 version.

NHL has acquired enough docking stations (22 per team) to do rapid testing on game day for US teams. Hoping to do the same for Canadian teams.

Some changes coming to draft lottery. Better weighting for bottom teams. Lots of concern that Detroit, who finished more than 30 points behind #30 team got to pick 4th.

Three scenarios for entry draft (timing): first, "as scheduled" in July. Second in December/January (least favorite). Third, back to back in summer 2022 (which seems to be favorite). GM virtual meeting soon, then to BoG, getting agreement with union, etc.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Seattle will draft 30 players. That's 7 extra players over a normal squad. They can also sign additional free agents. They also may be able to pick up a few extra players through side deals based on who they pick. Not to mention that if they still feel that's not enough players for them, they can probably deal 1 or 2 players off their drafted NHL team and a total of 3 or 4 players back. I think they'll have enough players.

EDIT: Correct 29 to 30 and 6 to 7 in first sentence. I think I was somehow thinking of Seattle as team 31 rather than 32. Dumb mistake.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Seattle is getting 30 players from expansion draft.

Could get 7+ via entry draft. But most wouldn't be available to play in NHL for 2-5 years.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
If they delay the draft a year (which I am okay with!), really the only negative for Seattle is that marquee moment of "this player is the first draftee to the franchise" will be after the team played a full season. The 2021 drafts for all the leagues will be a crapshoot hence why I was in favor of Seahawks trading multiple picks in this years draft for a proven star player.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
From SN, sounds like there are a lot of other details that need to be ironed out.
1) CHL, typically you get 2 years to sign them before they go back into a draft, so is that still in place? Logically to me, that means that if the 2021 draft is held in June 2022, then NHL teams have until whatever the cutoff is for the 2023 draft to get their CHL guys signed. Seems pretty basic to me.
2) One thing that was brought up with UFA for the draft class. In the NHL, the requirement is 7 years of pro experience (typcially NHL and AHL) before you hit UFA after 7 seasons. But, sounds like the PA is talking about dropping that requirement down to 6 because the kids lose the 21-22 season as a chance to make the NHL. That, I would side with the NHL on because that only impacts a couple of players a season typically. And for this draft, I don't see players who are capable of making the jump to the NHL. The 2020 draft has Laf and Stutzle as the 2 kids right into the NHL. 2019, had Hughes, Kakko, and Dach and none were great. All 3 would have been better served returning to their amateur clubs or taking the next step up before the NHL level. But, I can see this being an issue.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If the NHL and PA can’t agree then they should proceed with the schedule date of the draft in 2021.

I can’t see the nhl ageeeing to lower the ufa requirement down to 6 years. Means that guys could be ufa at age 25 if they start the 22-23 season on an nhl roster. But the major impact will be that most players would be ufa eligible at 26 rather than 27 if they finish their chl eligibility and then move into the pros at age 20.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
The NHL Draft: What’s Best For The Game | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca

31 Thoughts podcast has some discussion on the issues of delaying entry draft - CBA changes vs "do what's right"
The 2 key issues that Elliott Friedman brought up a couple of weeks ago were for the CHL: do they get re-drafted in the 2023 draft if the 2021 draft is held in 2022? My answer, is yes, because that is 2 drafts later.

Second key issue was about the kids not being able to gain a year towards UFA because the draft is held next year. I get that point. but, there is no Laf or Stutz in this draft. I don't envision any of the forwards going to the NHL next season. Typically, you only get 2-4 guys who step into the NHL after their draft year. With Covid, and some of these guys playing fewer games, they need that additional year to develop. So, you can't kill a negotiation over 2-4 players who would be impacted by a delayed draft in terms of jumping to the NHL, but the NHL needs to give the PA something in return. Maybe it is arbitration rights a year earlier?

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad