Value of: 2/3 RW to Arizona

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Coyotes are looking for a second/third line tweener RWer. Doesn't sound like they're interested in the options available via FA.

A few prequisites:

- Strong preference for a right-handed RW
- Likely a player under 30 years old
- No crazy contracts. Likely 3 years or less.
- Not a defensive trainwreck. He'd be playing for Tippett, after all.
- Not required, but if that player can PK, even better.

Anyone have a fit? Likely return is picks/prospects.

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
They could just go the low budget route and sign Kris Versteeg if they are not looking for any long term commitment. He seemed to produce quite well with Carolina, I'm sure he could work out in Arizona playing a similar role.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I second the motion for Kris Versteeg. Though, I'm sure he doesn't meet all possible qualification, he's still one of the best tweeners left on the market.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yakupov might be worth the risk. Not right handed but his defensive game has improved a good bit.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Yakupov might be worth the risk. Not right handed but his defensive game has improved a good bit.

Yeah, that'd be fine, assuming Tippett is willing to coach him. Wouldn't give up a lot.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006

The problem with Yakupov, to me, is his salary. Even if the Oilers traded him for practically nothing. There aren't many good scenarios where Yakupov works out:

1. Imagine he he turned out great, 20 goals, 25 assists. Congratulations! You're still ****ed. You now have to qualify him for 2.5+ or lose him to someone else. Just like Colbourne.

2. He sucks. Congrats, you just gave up assets and 2.5 million for a ****** player and took up valuable ice-time from someone else. You suck as a GM.

Realistically, the only way it works out for someone is if Yak turns into some superman and puts up 30 goals and becomes worth it to sign or arbitrate.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The problem with Yakupov, to me, is his salary. Even if the Oilers traded him for practically nothing. There aren't many good scenarios where Yakupov works out:

1. Imagine he he turned out great, 20 goals, 25 assists. Congratulations! You're still ****ed. You now have to qualify him for 2.5+ or lose him to someone else. Just like Colbourne.

2. He sucks. Congrats, you just gave up assets and 2.5 million for a ****** player and took up valuable ice-time from someone else. You suck as a GM.

Realistically, the only way it works out for someone is if Yak turns into some superman and puts up 30 goals and becomes worth it to sign or arbitrate.

The Coyotes don't care about money at the moment. I know that sounds funny, but they're still under the floor. They'd happily pay Yak 2.5

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I know they hate him at center but Gagner can be a decent RW. He improved the defensive side of his game in Philly and actually got quite tough minutes.

kooner91

Apr 13, 2014
Jannik Hansen fits this like a glove.

Still signed for I believe 2 more years at 2mil per, is 30 years old, excellent on the pk and can play any role given to him.

Would like a prospect with offensive potential back or a 2nd+3rd, or your 1st but I doubt that happens as it will probably be a top 10 pick.

Alex Mills

Read? We need a 3C or a c/lw prospect. Or picks.

The Coyotes really don’t have enough depth to send a forward back, but Read might be a good fit there. Many here have stated the Flyers’ biggest need is a solid 3C, but most of the names mentioned in other threads like Bozak, Eakin, Hanzal, etc. are too costly for them. With Cousins making the jump last year and Rubtsov on the way in a year or two, it looks like patience is the answer for now. The bigger need at this point is a second line winger, but Read alone won’t get that kind of return and the Coyotes don’t have it to give.

With two years left on his current deal, Read would get a fresh start and help the Coyotes fill out their protected list for next summer, which could make him more appealing than pending free agents like Stafford, Yakupov, etc. If the Flyers were to move Streit, Del Zotto or Schultz in the coming weeks – all UFAs next year – it wouldn’t be surprising if they tried to pitch something around Read for Murphy, who could potentially be lost to Las Vegas like Read in Philly, and whose father is one of Hextall's former teammates and one of Hakstol’s current assistants.

Last edited by a moderator:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Jannik Hansen fits this like a glove.

Still signed for I believe 2 more years at 2mil per, is 30 years old, excellent on the pk and can play any role given to him.

Would like a prospect with offensive potential back or a 2nd+3rd, or your 1st but I doubt that happens as it will probably be a top 10 pick.

Benning trade's away 2nd's not for them.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
If you'd stretch your requirements to one more year of age and one more year of contract term then Ryan Callahan would be perfect for you. Fantastic penalty killer, great on a shutdown line, played through injury last season which hurt his scoring but the year before he had 24 goals and 30 assists. Best of all you could have him for a bag of pucks AND we'd be willing to retain a bit if necessary.

Only problem is getting him to waive his NMC to go to Arizona which would never happen. But if you can convince him, he's yours.:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad