GDT: 2/28/18 - 7:00PM EDT - Buffalo vs Tampa Bay

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Having to play the Stars Tomorrow IN Dallas is why we got the effort we got tonight imo.
I hope so. Or probably, the team has not recovered at 100% from the Toronto game, that was very hard.
I've read some posts about Jon Cooper. He's a coach that I don't like very much.
In particular last yeat, imho, he'd his faults.
But talking about firing him, now, it's not the right thing to do, imho.
Probably the playoffs run will be very important for his future in Tampa.
But we've to say 1 thing: with our team, it Yzerman will fire Cooper, he's to find someone better than Cooper.
And, right know, who is there better than Coop, available?
Sutter, Roy, the Crunch head coach (but he's a bet...) ? Johnston? ahahahahah lol!!! Therrien? xD xD
I think that there's not someone better than him right now.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We'll live. Right now we just need to bide our time until McDonagh can get into the lineup. Tonight we looked like a team desperately in need of a top 4 D and a star scoring winger. Well we didn't have either. I'm more frustrated at the following

1. Sustr is TERRIBLE
2. The last penalty call (while still a hit to the head) was basically Erne finishing his check. Reminds me of the non-suspension of Ryan Malone on a hit against a Canadiens player. I think it was Pacioretty??? This was during the Shana-ban era when he was the head of the DOPS
3. The clip on Vasy. Good sweet Jesus why does GI even exist if we're gonna get stuff like this
4. Freaking Buffalo is gonna play like a world beater for the rest of the year and it had to be us tonight

PS- It feels so weird talking about McDonagh as one of our guys. WOW!

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Come on...we all see the product on the ice. It's not like I am making crap up. They aren't playing well. We all see it. Coop needs to get us to the ECF or better. Otherwise, he's taken this team as far as he can. We have a small window.

I can do without the condescension, btw. We're all Bolts my man.

We are the best team in the league. Can you relax on this talk until when/if our season ends early.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The "hot start" was a four month long stretch. If you expected that pace to keep up I don't know what to tell you.

I'm gonna bump this post here.

It's better we take our bumps in the road now. To be perfectly honest I'm glad we're getting these bad games out of our system because my concern the whole season has quietly been if we peaked too early. Well I gotta say, 3 months of damn near .750 hockey is hell of a peak. Add McDonagh to this team along with Palat and a comfortable Miller we're gonna probably end the month of March very strong and looking like that "well oiled machine" everyone here wants to see. In my opinion to hell with home ice. Just get to the dance healthy. If we want to win the Stanley Cup we should be able to play any team on the moon in a 7 game series and win.

It sucks we lost but we have yet to realize our greatest potential.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I will echo what @T REX about Cooper. Since Yzerman held up his end of the bargain getting us Miller and McDonagh I'll give Coop the 2 year window we have to win it depending on this year's circumstances. If we run into a goaltender playing like "God Mode" Tim Thomas like the Canucks vs Bruins SCF or "God Himself" Jaroslav Halak that singlehandedly took out the #1 Capitals and then Penguins in back to back series I'm not gonna get mad because that's like blaming your entire lineup for losing to Nolan Ryan throwing yet another no-hitter. Dude did it 7 times. Sometimes you just have to tip your cap to an athlete taking over an entire game by himself. I mean shit that could happen to us next year too and I'd still probably advocate for Cooper because the godlike goaltender is the only unsolvable problem in hockey. But something happens like we just take a total shit in round 2 versus Boston or Toronto and lose in 5 games I'm NOT going to be happy.

Stamkos doesn't raise that beautiful chalice over his head at least once by June 2019 then I have to imagine Yzerman pulls the trigger. There's simply no excuse to not win it all with the team we're gonna have until July 1st 2019

These are (what are supposed to be) the glory years folks.

Hold onto your butts!

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
I will echo what @T REX about Cooper. Since Yzerman held up his end of the bargain getting us Miller and McDonagh I'll give Coop the 2 year window we have to win it depending on this year's circumstances. If we run into a goaltender playing like "God Mode" Tim Thomas like the Canucks vs Bruins SCF or "God Himself" Jaroslav Halak that singlehandedly took out the #1 Capitals and then Penguins in back to back series I'm not gonna get mad because that's like blaming your entire lineup for losing to Nolan Ryan throwing yet another no-hitter. Dude did it 7 times. Sometimes you just have to tip your cap to an athlete taking over an entire game by himself. I mean **** that could happen to us next year too and I'd still probably advocate for Cooper because the godlike goaltender is the only unsolvable problem in hockey. But something happens like we just take a total **** in round 2 versus Boston or Toronto and lose in 5 games I'm NOT going to be happy.

Stamkos doesn't raise that beautiful chalice over his head at least once by June 2019 then I have to imagine Yzerman pulls the trigger. There's simply no excuse to not win it all with the team we're gonna have until July 1st 2019

These are (what are supposed to be) the glory years folks.

Hold onto your butts!
I don't think that our chances will end in June 2019.
We've to rediscuss and renew some contracts but probably we'll the cap space thanks to players like Coburn, Girardi and guys like this that will be over 32-33...
We've also lots of young prospects that could improve their skills during the next couple of years.
Maybe, in October 2019, we won't be as strong as today, but I think and I hope that our future will be bright.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
DXK5tGJUQAAS-kb.jpg:large

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Watched the game on delay and avoided this thread.

1. Sustr is worse than stepping on a trail of legos in the dark. I knew as soon as Point (I think?) passed it to him we were in trouble. For whatever reason, he picks his head up, looks up ice, but when he traps the puck on his forehand, he really struggles controlling it and getting it out. As soon as he got the pass, i began saying "no, no, no, get it out." I've watched him make this same mistake probably 3-4 times in the past week, let alone not being able to do this in over 400 games as a professional when 50-60 year old men and women at Brandon and Oldsmar can do this in their sleep. It truly is mindboggling we jettison Carle, Malone, Lindback, etc who were all dead weight and low skilled players but we have hung onto the sole player that continuously gets on the ice and it becomes cursed. He doesn't even have to screw up, the amount of times he's out there and something bizarre or simplistic results on a goal is incredible. Its a common theme with him more than any player ive seen put on a Lightning sweater.

People that say he's depth or he's fine as a #7 - NO. He's. Not. A depth defenseman is somebody that can fill in and perform without glamor, not kill your team every time he gets out there. He should not be seeing ice time over KK anymore. When he's in the lineup, you can almost be confident in 2 grade A chances and a goal against with him playing.

2. Reading the Rangers fans comments about Miller taking dumb penalties stayed in my mind all game. He was playing really well - until the penalty with 5 minutes to go. That was idiotic but overall, I thought he was an upgrade over a lot of what we've seen in the bottom 6 lately.

3. Callahan was very good tonight.
4. Erne - I thought was one of the best players tonight. Stupid penalty called at the end but can't blame him entirely.
5. What in the actual f*** is it with the NHL and goalie interference NEVER going our way?

At least we got 1 point but that was pretty boring.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We went to the SCF and ECF with that AHL quality defender playing a regular role, show that man some respect!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is there a reason Cooper won't play a left D on the right side? Following your team this season, I feel like Koekkoek in the lineup instead of Sustr or Dotchin could've actually helped. Plenty of teams put lefties on the right side, its not like your whole right side would be lefties either. You have two righties.

Now with McDonagh, one of the two probably wouldn't be in the lineup anyway, unless Cooper goes with 7, but even with McDonagh, shouldn't Coburn be playing 3rd pair on the right side with Sergachyov, assuming first two pairs are Hedman-Stralman, McD-G instead of having Sustr or Dotchin in the lineup who are worse players?

Reactions: rangerrat

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I feel like we'd have had better chance in this one if we'd gone done 2-0. We have a habit of showing no urgency when we're comfortable. I feel like a lot of what we're seeing right now has more to do with the standings than anything. They believe they're comfortably in the playoffs and are now on cruise control more often than not.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
How do we manage to lose to this crap team twice in a row? Vasy let in a couple of softies but the effort wasn't there tonight. Especially the first period was painful to watch.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
How do we manage to lose to this crap team twice in a row? Vasy let in a couple of softies but the effort wasn't there tonight. Especially the first period was painful to watch.
The OT goal was definitely soft but I won't point fingers at a goalie when you score one goal against the freaking Sabres.

Metranger

May 22, 2015
Ranger fan here. I think you guys are the team to beat for the SC.

Did any of you watch Nemestikov highlights from the Rangers game last night? He is electric. One break away goal and his skating is like Pavel Bure's.

I like JT Miller a lot. But he seems to take stupid penalties, many at the worst time. He is streaky hot and cold. He makes good passes and has a good slap shot.

I also think the Rangers coach Vigneault hamstrung Miller so I am looking forward to seeing how he plays with new coaching and teamates.

I am taping your games from now on to watch McDonaugh and Millerplay (and the other half of your team that are ex Rangers:) ). McDonaugh-Girardi pairing on the Lightning makes me laugh. Not in a disrespectful way though. Just in a nostalgic way.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
Some people on this board just don't understand sports or hockey! No team is going to play hard for 82 games. Heck, your lucky in most cases if your team plays real hard for 41 games. And after playing real hard against a top rival the game before plus add in the emotions of the trade deadline and you were bound to get what we saw in terms of effort (an emotionally drained team). To be honest with you, I have seen them with much worse efforts this year.

But you had a perfect storm of unfortunate injuries (Kuch), new players added to the mix (JT & Bournival), odd line combinations (Cooper ???) and the Sustr effect and even with all that you still got a POINT!

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Some people on this board just don't understand sports or hockey!

You aren't intelligent enough to make a comment without trying to insult someone? Sad. The team has been playing awful since Jan 1st. That's not an ebb or flow. That's a slump.

One goal vs one of the worst teams in the league? Pathetic.

Not sure what some people are trying to argue on here. Lots of excuses though. Some of us can't seem to post enough of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->