GDT: 2/27/19 - 7:30PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ New York Rangers

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
The thing is, Palat has looked like he's been abusing drugs and alcohol since October.
Maybe he has. You never know. That being said, I didn't think he was our worst player tonight, and I didn't think this was his worst game of the year. I thought that line actually had some decent shifts tonight. They were good in the corners and cycling pretty well.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Maybe he has. You never know. That being said, I didn't think he was our worst player tonight, and I didn't think this was his worst game of the year. I thought that line actually had some decent shifts tonight. They were good in the corners and cycling pretty well.
Oh the line had *numerous* good shifts. Stamkos and Miller played well. Plays were dying on Palat's stick, and his awful play led to the tying goal.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Oh the line had *numerous* good shifts. Stamkos and Miller played well. Plays were dying on Palat's stick, and his awful play led to the tying goal.
Plays were dying on everyone's sticks. And NY chances were being born on the sticks of our entire D corps. It was a bit like the Pittsburgh series all over again.

As for Palat he wasn't great, but he played the way he's played all year. Other guys had really bad games compared to their normal games. Aside from his game winner, Hedman was bad. McD too. And Serg. And Stralman. Girardi played his usual game, but he actually looked good for once in comparison to everyone else.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
During regulation, Hedman was our worst player. But Palat was easily our worst forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdaddio

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Plays were dying on everyone's sticks. And NY chances were being born on the sticks of our entire D corps. It was a bit like the Pittsburgh series all over again.

As for Palat he wasn't great, but he played the way he's played all year. Other guys had really bad games compared to their normal games. Aside from his game winner, Hedman was bad. McD too. And Serg. And Stralman. Girardi played his usual game, but he actually looked good for once in comparison to everyone else.
Players that or normally good that played badly tonight don't concern me, because they normally play good. They've earned some rope.

Palat has been hot garbage in 95% of the games. That continuing is a far bigger issue than our good players having a random off night.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Mcdonagh I’ll give a pass too since the dude took a puck off his knee

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Players that or normally good that played badly tonight don't concern me, because they normally play good. They've earned some rope.

Palat has been hot garbage in 95% of the games. That continuing is a far bigger issue than our good players having a random off night.
I'm more concerned about the scrambly, headless chicken defensive zone stuff, which leads to you-take-it-I-don't-want-it passes and infinite mulligans on clearing attempts. That frustrating cycle of death has killed us every year since our Cup appearance. I was seeing things tonight that reminded me a little too much of bad habits we fell into in recent seasons, and those things weren't related to Palat's play.

Bozo Nicholson

5 Alarm Fire™
Jun 6, 2015
I just watched the beginning of the VOD (missed the first half of the game). NBCSN played a soundbyte of Dave Mishkin going apeshit on a Callahan goal - glorious voicecracks and all. :laugh: :laugh:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Rangers were on a mission, looking to beat the best team in all of professional hockey sports history. For us it was about doing the job and not get injured. Easy win.

Them complaining that there was no call on Kucherov before Hedman's goal is hilarious. Namestnikov skates into Kucherov, the puck carrier, just milliseconds after he passed it to Heds, falls down and wants a penalty? Maybe learn to stay on your skates after a mild collision like that? That's why he's trash. After six freaking powerplays to the Rangers the refs got at least that one right, not falling for this weak dive attempt.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Rangers were on a mission, looking to beat the best team in all of professional hockey sports history. For us it was about doing the job and not get injured. Easy win.

Them complaining that there was no call on Kucherov before Hedman's goal is hilarious. Namestnikov skates into Kucherov, the puck carrier, just milliseconds after he passed it to Heds, falls down and wants a penalty? Maybe learn to stay on your skates after a mild collision like that? That's why he's trash. After six freaking powerplays to the Rangers the refs got at least that one right, not falling for this weak dive attempt.
Yeah, I mean, I hate the pick no matter who's throwing it, and that one was a little closer to borderline than I'd prefer, but Kuch didn't keep skating, he stopped, he just braced for impact and let Namestnikov do the rest. I mean, short of diving out of the way, there was going to be some contact, and Names really wasn't going get to Hedman anyway. And as you said, the refs made so many weak calls against us that it was essentially a case of turnabout being fair play.

Reactions: Master P

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Miller's skating and how he looks out there at times reminds me of Lecavalier so much. Even at first glance a clean shaven version of him looks like him. To clarify, I am not comparing skill levels or impact at all, just an observation.

On another note the Art Ross race is getting closer between 1 and 2;

Kucherov - 104
Tampa Bay Lightning - 102

Reactions: LightningStrikes

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
We now have definitive proof that no one at ESPN actually watches the player performances they are rating: Hedman was listed as one of leagues top 3 performers last night on the ESPN NHL scoreboard page.

TOP PERFORMERS - 02/27/19
J. Markstrom Vancouver Canucks
43 SV, 2 GA
@ COL | Final/SO

F. Andersen Toronto Maple Leafs
34 SV, 2 GA
vs EDM | Final

V. Hedman Tampa Bay Lightning
1 G, 1 A, 4 SOG, +1
@ NYR | Final/OT

Last edited:

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Yeah, I mean, I hate the pick no matter who's throwing it, and that one was a little closer to borderline than I'd prefer, but Kuch didn't keep skating, he stopped, he just braced for impact and let Namestnikov do the rest. I mean, short of diving out of the way, there was going to be some contact, and Names really wasn't going get to Hedman anyway. And as you said, the refs made so many weak calls against us that it was essentially a case of turnabout being fair play.
I refereed for 30 yrs. In no universe was that an illegal play in any manner. By definition you cannot interfere with another player if you are in possession of the puck, which Kucherov was - also by definition - when the collision took place. I won't even say it was a good no call. No call should have even been considered. Eddie Olcyzk was way out of line with his comments.

What should have been called was the interference with Tyler Johnson earlier in the OT that probably would have resulted in a breakaway. Didn't hear Olcyzk whining about that one.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I refereed for 30 yrs. In no universe was that an illegal play in any manner. By definition you cannot interfere with another player if you are in possession of the puck, which Kucherov was - also by definition - when the collision took place. I won't even say it was a good no call. No call should have even been considered. Eddie Olcyzk was way out of line with his comments.

What should have been called was the interference with Tyler Johnson earlier in the OT that probably would have resulted in a breakaway. Didn't hear Olcyzk whining about that one.
Sounds like you have high level hockey experience. Good enough for me, have a 'like'!

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
We now have definitive proof that no one at ESPN actually watches the player performances they are rating: Hedman was listed as one of leagues top 3 performers last night on the ESPN NHL scoreboard page.

TOP PERFORMERS - 02/27/19
J. Markstrom Vancouver Canucks
43 SV, 2 GA
@ COL | Final/SO

F. Andersen Toronto Maple Leafs
34 SV, 2 GA
vs EDM | Final

V. Hedman Tampa Bay Lightning
1 G, 1 A, 4 SOG, +1
@ NYR | Final/OT

Their top performers is always based on stats, I don't think they try to hide that. It's "top stat performance"

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket

LS, I've never seen you like this. Someone is fired up.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Lightning looked like they were saving their energy for tonight. Also I think the Rangers were playing hard while we coasted. The ice is going to tilt to the team playing hard every time. Im expecting the Bruins to play hard and tough tonight too. So we will need to show up if we want to win.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Question, did it seem like we did a lot more dump and chase than usual? I felt like 80% of our entries into the O zone were this way. Maybe it's just me.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
r3UB0bS.png

Puck barley off his stick and that's how close Namestnikov is.

Kuch does put his shoulder into Namestnikov, but what the **** else is he supposed to do? Just let someone level him?

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad