GDT: 2/21 Winnipeg Jets @ Carolina Checkers

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
No he didn't. He looked NHL-average. A .925 save percentage is not "best goalie in the league" material. Not even close.

To me, it's not about his skills. He seems like he's not even paying attention. He seems bored, lost, confused, disinterested. That's the word, disinterested. It's like he doesn't even care. He stood back there and did virtually nothing all night.

This...

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Ward was pathetic. Not once did he bail the team out and let in a few softies. I've never been more pissed than I am right now.

Not exactly true. Wards play from 17 minutes in the first till 17 minutes in the 3rd was more than fine. Made some key stops to keep it 1-1.

But his play outside that time frame.,.

:facepalm:

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Murphy played very well, IMO.

He showed good discipline when it came to joining the rush or staying back.

He played OK. But he did attend the "Joe Corvo School Of Avoiding Checks". But the dude can skate and isn't afraid to join the rush. I was amazed he got all of the quality TOI that he did.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
Yeah hopefully he can bulk up enough that he isn't paranoid of being touched, as soon as he sees forecheckers coming he makes dumb decisions other than that he's played well

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Not exactly true. Wards play from 17 minutes in the first till 17 minutes in the 3rd was more than fine. Made some key stops to keep it 1-1.

But his play outside that time frame.,.

:facepalm:

Well yeah, but it's not like he was being peppered with shots constantly. I'd be even more worried if he let in any more goals on 23 shots.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
No he didn't. He looked NHL-average. A .925 save percentage is not "best goalie in the league" material. Not even close.

To me, all this says is that you don't know anything about how to judge goaltending.

Stats depend on the system. A .925 behind our D is like a .960 on some other teams. If your argument is stats versus actually watching him play, I'm not going to take you particularly seriously. There is a reason NHL teams employ scouts.

Ward was bad tonight, no question. But if you're saying Ward was weak or average against say, Ottawa, then that just tells me you haven't actually bothered to watch the games.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
To me, all this says is that you don't know anything about how to judge goaltending.

Stats depend on the system. A .925 behind our D is like a .960 on some other teams. If your argument is stats versus actually watching him play, I'm not going to take you particularly seriously. There is a reason NHL teams employ scouts.

Ward was bad tonight, no question. But if you're saying Ward was weak or average against say, Ottawa, then that just tells me you haven't actually bothered to watch the games.

Your rationalizations for the poor play of our starting goalie from Day 1 (a 5-1 loss, by the way) don't change anything. Cam Ward has not had a good season by any measure. If you feel the need to point to a 10-day stretch out of six weeks to defend the guy, then you're probably actually proving my point. The bottom line is this, we have a better chance to get points in our next game with our backup in net. Can you remember any point in the past six years when we've been able to say that?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Who cares who was on the roster. The D played well in front of Ward tonight and Ward alone lost us the game. I can't remember that ever happening before.

Yeah, that's worrisome. It also speaks volumes about how well Ward's played over the past couple years.

Maybe Ward's getting the **** out of his system before putting up 20 consecutive shutouts...

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yeah, stats don't mean poop. Roy wasn't a great stats guy, he just won when it mattered. I think cam is more than capable of being that, he wasn't tonight though. Just isn't confident.

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
So sick of Ward folding like a cheap tent with multiple softies and brainfarts in way too many games that lead to losses during the last few seasons. Time for him to get an extended, mandatory break now that there's a decent backup.

bb99

Apr 6, 2009
North Carolina
Somebody has to do all that meth while Gleason is out...I guess Ward was the one who found the stash.

The 2006 version of Saku's eye, Sabres D and Roloson are all disappoint.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
Yeah, stats don't mean poop. Roy wasn't a great stats guy, he just won when it mattered. I think cam is more than capable of being that, he wasn't tonight though. Just isn't confident.

I honestly think Montreal ****ed with his head. He probably shouldn't have even started tonight.. As much crap as he's gotten, he wasn't this bad except for the first two games..

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Murphy played very well, IMO.

He showed good discipline when it came to joining the rush or staying back.

I personally thought he played very tentative and didn't join the rush as much as a player like him should. Also his passes were not crisp for a NHL player...lots were in guys skates or out of reach. First game though, so some jitters are to be expected.

As was stated before, Ward really cost us this one. Doesn't happen very often, but with the division so tight those are the games we need to win.

Our 2nd and 3rd lines were very poor I thought, and Westgarth is a waste of a roster spot IMO. I feel we maybe need some help from a vet on the team both front and back ends.

What are your guys' thoughts on a guy like Campoli on D and maybe Arnott, Morrison, or O'Sullivan up front. J. Staal playing with 2 guys who don't deserve to be 2nd liners (yet).

normalpsychology

Oct 27, 2011
Mass
a few thoughts after the game:
Ward: biggest 5 hole in the NHL?, timid in the net, staying back too far, not playing angles correctly, just... very bad
Semin: incredible
Staal: not showing the mature behavior or leadership we need in a captain. some people have complained about skinner's maturity (who is much younger), well... look who's "leading by example" on the ice...

since the organization seems so reluctant to start dan ellis, perhaps we should just bench ward and ice 4 forwards and 2 defensemen...

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I honestly think Montreal ****ed with his head. He probably shouldn't have even started tonight.. As much crap as he's gotten, he wasn't this bad except for the first two games..

Tonight was the stinker of the season for him to me. They were all on him, he was his own enemy.

The positive was that Murphy slid in pretty seamlessly. His talent is obvious even at this level. He could be legit for the bottom pair with pp time right now. He is the most skilled of our offensive d guys, and most of the forwards to boot. He's the only end to end threat we've got already. We haven't had one of those for awhile. Looking forward to him getting a bit stronger and experienced.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
I personally thought he played very tentative and didn't join the rush as much as a player like him should. Also his passes were not crisp for a NHL player...lots were in guys skates or out of reach. First game though, so some jitters are to be expected.

As was stated before, Ward really cost us this one. Doesn't happen very often, but with the division so tight those are the games we need to win.

Our 2nd and 3rd lines were very poor I thought, and Westgarth is a waste of a roster spot IMO. I feel we maybe need some help from a vet on the team both front and back ends.

What are your guys' thoughts on a guy like Campoli on D and maybe Arnott, Morrison, or O'Sullivan up front. J. Staal playing with 2 guys who don't deserve to be 2nd liners (yet).

Aside from Semin & Tlusty, I thought Drayson Bowman was the best player on the ice. Love that kid...his points will come.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
Tonight was the stinker of the season for him to me. They were all on him, he was his own enemy.

The positive was that Murphy slid in pretty seamlessly. His talent is obvious even at this level. He could be legit for the bottom pair with pp time right now. He is the most skilled of our offensive d guys, and most of the forwards to boot. He's the only end to end threat we've got already. We haven't had one of those for awhile. Looking forward to him getting a bit stronger and experienced.

Yeah, a little stronger and he could be with the Canes next season if they wanted to push it.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

I think we need something up front. Compare this team to the cup team, and the offense falls short even with ruutu. Unless they let a guy like Nash roll with it they need a true third line center for sure. They won't be a true contender without another semi potent line. Maybe it's not to be until rask is here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad