GDT: 2/2/13 - 7:00PM EDT - New York Rangers VS Tampa Bay

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I think St. Louis should be put with Lecavalier for the time being. He needs to get himself going, he`s looking to pass to Stamkos almost exclusively.

I totally agree with this Marty is 37 years old and playing over 20 minutes a night, every second night will wear him down. Put Conacher with Stamkos and balance out the minutes a bit more. More of a balanced approach.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/lightnings-lecavalier-has-bone-bruise/1273610
Marty St. Louis, with 14 points on three goals and 11 assists, is off to the best eight-game start of his career. Yet, the right wing is not entirely happy.

"I'm honest with how I'm analyzing my game," he said. "I don't think I've played my best hockey."
"He's always hard on himself because he wants to perform at his best, and that's why he's Marty," coach Guy Boucher said. "I can't ask any more of him than I'm getting now."

After the loss to the Rangers, during which he whiffed on a prime scoring chance, St. Louis said he is "getting there."

"From the get-go I thought I was jumping and using my speed," he said. "Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make something happen."

HeavyHammer

Go Bolts!
Feb 26, 2012
Just reading through the MVP for first 2 weeks of the season thread on the main boards, and it got me thinking about who that would be for Tampa...

Would it be fair to say Hedman has been our most valuable player so far?

Yeah, I think Hedman has been our best player so far. HM: Salo, Marty, Vinny

They didnt play terribly last night. Just not near the way they had in previous games. They had their chances, especially in the second to put the game away but didnt finish. That Conacher post goes in and I bet we win that game. It happens.

Garon wasnt that good though. He made the one breakaway save in the beginning but after that he had a lot routine saves. The Nash goal, while Hedman lost him on the corner, Nash went right through the damn blue paint and Garon just let him. Thats an easy poke check moment right there. Terrible goaltending on that goal. On top of that, the backbreaking 3rd goal was horrible and should never happen. The defensemen cleaned up enough of they bounce to create that chance to allow Garon to stop an easy little tap from Hagelin. Terrible terrible goal to let in.

Hedman was great once again except the Nash goal but you know what, he clearly though he pushed Nash wide enough that he would have to go behind the net, but Garon gave Nash all that room to cut right back in front. Nevertheless, Hedman needs to play that better and Id bet he doesnt make that mistake again. Other than that played great again.

What is up with St Louis? Hes picking up points but he is just wayyyy off. Last game too. Hope he shakes out of it because he has been bad the last few games.

I agree. They played well enough to win that game, just weren't able to capitalize on their chances like the rangers were. Losing sucks, but besides the last 5 of the 2nd and first 5 of the 3rd I thought they looked good.

best fit here:

Scouts at #FlaPanthers #Sabres: Chi, Edm, Phil, Col, Mont, #tbLightning, #nhlJets, Pitt, Det, Nash, SJ, Cbs, Phx, Ott, NYR, Ana, LAK, Tor
https://twitter.com/GeorgeRichards/status/298155018270433280

Both teams are last in their divisions and Florida is last in the conference.

My guess is Buffalo is the team that's looking for a trade. Myers has been pretty bad from what I hear, but I doubt the Sabres give up on him at such a young age. I've heard Ruff doesn't like Vanek for some reason, maybe they are looking to trade him since his return would be huge right now :dunno:

What exactly would Tampa want from either team? I think a Myers/Hedman pairing would be amazing, but I don't see that happening...

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yeah, I think Hedman has been our best player so far. HM: Salo, Marty, Vinny

I agree. They played well enough to win that game, just weren't able to capitalize on their chances like the rangers were. Losing sucks, but besides the last 5 of the 2nd and first 5 of the 3rd I thought they looked good.

My guess is Buffalo is the team that's looking for a trade. Myers has been pretty bad from what I hear, but I doubt the Sabres give up on him at such a young age. I've heard Ruff doesn't like Vanek for some reason, maybe they are looking to trade him since his return would be huge right now :dunno:

What exactly would Tampa want from either team? I think a Myers/Hedman pairing would be amazing, but I don't see that happening...

What are the issues with TB's roster? I'd want to bump up the defense a little overall, but it's not critical since TB is getting results. Buffalo would be the team for that IMO.

Fact: I always want to bump up the defense a little.

And from a practical standpoint, Buffalo is only 2:30 away from Syracuse and there were limited games that day, all played in the east.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why did Aulie play less than 10 minutes? He looked like fine out there and Rangers don't have a lot of firepower outside the top line. Would think would be a good game to get good minutes since he got 15 the game before.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
You know why we lost? We were lazy in the Ozone. We got next to no traffic in front of Biron, and every single shot he saw all the way and was able to swallow up, leaving no rebound. The thing is, crashing the net is hard work, and we didn't put that in. The two shots that went in were the two shots he didn't stand a chance in stopping.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
You know why we lost? We were lazy in the Ozone. We got next to no traffic in front of Biron, and every single shot he saw all the way and was able to swallow up, leaving no rebound. The thing is, crashing the net is hard work, and we didn't put that in. The two shots that went in were the two shots he didn't stand a chance in stopping.

That's a good point, Malone was the only one who tried to do that.

HeavyHammer

Go Bolts!
Feb 26, 2012
What are the issues with TB's roster? I'd want to bump up the defense a little overall, but it's not critical since TB is getting results. Buffalo would be the team for that IMO.

Fact: I always want to bump up the defense a little.

And from a practical standpoint, Buffalo is only 2:30 away from Syracuse and there were limited games that day, all played in the east.

Yeah, the fact that so many scouts were there might not be a big deal. I guess Tampa might be interested in Leopold or Regehr as a playoff rental... That would give us some nice depth on D.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

It's not like we didn't have our chances, though. Marty missed the tap-in for that sure goal late in the 3rd, Purcell or Thompson (can't remember) missed that wide open net / hit the post etc.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Yeah, the fact that so many scouts were there might not be a big deal. I guess Tampa might be interested in Leopold or Regehr as a playoff rental... That would give us some nice depth on D.

Anything is better than Lee at this point. He's been horrible. Plus minus isn't usually a great stat but when you are not only the only minus player on your team, but you are that far lower than the next player, that says something.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Anything is better than Lee at this point. He's been horrible. Plus minus isn't usually a great stat but when you are not only the only minus player on your team, but you are that far lower than the next player, that says something.

I really liked what I saw of Lee last season, but geez, he's been absolutely awful so far. I hate to say it, but it's gotten to the point where I would rather see Bergeron take a regular shift in his place.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Conacher hit the crossbar as well. That game could have easily been won.

This road trip is going to be brutal as hell. Be lucky to come back home with 2 points imo.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Not that we need it, but if are going to upgrade anywhere its defense.

And you have to kick the tires if Myers really is available. Buffalo would be insane to deal him.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Also, lets not forget that Boucher coached Myers and Aulie, they were his shutdown pair during the WJC.

Considering Myers has been brutal this year, and has a 5.5 million dollar cap hit, there might be a 1% chance that they'd deal him?

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Also, lets not forget that Boucher coached Myers and Aulie, they were his shutdown pair during the WJC.

Considering Myers has been brutal this year, and has a 5.5 million dollar cap hit, there might be a 1% chance that they'd deal him?

That is interesting. However, I don't see SFY pulling the trigger, unless it's for picks or something. And even then, I'm not sure. We know he likes to hang on to his picks for the most part (Lindback excluded, but we had a bajillion other picks). Our roster is set, we look good. If we weren't a contender, I could see him fanagling something. The thing is, if Buffalo is dangling Myers, I would expect one of the other 14 teams to scoop him up before we decide if we are making a serious run or not.

I'm sure the Sabres are beating themselves up for passing on CC89. Hopefully The Yzerman doesn't pity them ;)

Last edited:

HeavyHammer

Go Bolts!
Feb 26, 2012

haha

I dunno, I thought Lee looked ok in the Rangers game. He's been progressively getting less bad with each game, so I'm not to worried about it. He hasn't really cost us any games yet.

EDIT: I should clarify that I don't think he is playing well enough right now. I'm just of the opinion that the lockout affected him much more than everyone else (very rusty).

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
haha

I dunno, I thought Lee looked ok in the Rangers game. He's been progressively getting less bad with each game, so I'm not to worried about it. He hasn't really cost us any games yet.

EDIT: I should clarify that I don't think he is playing well enough right now. I'm just of the opinion that the lockout affected him much more than everyone else (very rusty).
The NYR game was basically his best game so far, which isn't saying much.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
It's not like we didn't have our chances, though. Marty missed the tap-in for that sure goal late in the 3rd, Purcell or Thompson (can't remember) missed that wide open net / hit the post etc.

Conacher missed a pretty good opportunity, too.

We will have a chance in New York come Sunday. Another back-end of a back-to-back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad