GDT: 2/16/13 - 3:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Florida

HeavyHammer

Go Bolts!
Feb 26, 2012
Do a lot of Lightning fans make the trip to Miami when they play the Panthers?

I think so. I've been once, it's like a 5 or 6 hour drive if I remember correctly. The fact that this was a saturday afternoon game probably meant a higher than usual amount of Lightning fans making the trip.

HeavyHammer

Go Bolts!
Feb 26, 2012
I actually really enjoyed this game :dunno:

It wasn't exactly flawless play from eaither team, but it was fun to watch froms start to finish.

I think Lindback has probably given up a few too many goals this year, but I've been satisfied with his play and think he is going to be a good goalie in the long run.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
The calls on Conacher and MAB were pathetic, the reffing has been horrendous lately. I like the lines the way they are I just find it strange that Conacher has to go to the dirty areas to do all the slugging while Purcell floats around. Really liked the third line of Pyatt and Killorn when Thomson was on it, I haven't been that excited with Paniks play, but they aren't giving him much of an opportunity.

I am always worried when Salo and Hedman are not on the ice. Carle is a turnover machine and Brewer can't skate, damn is he slow. Aulie is our third best defensemen why he wasn't playing is a head scratcher. We need Gudas up pronto, and pair him with Aulie. They would add a much needed nastiness to this team.

BoltingAway

Feb 26, 2012
I actually really enjoyed this game :dunno:

I did as well...but that may just be because the last bunch have been so frustrating. Not that this one wasn't frustrating...the end of the second and start of the 3rd were not good at all for us. And the penalties...:shakehead. Still, a lot of guys came through and chipped in offensively, and we stole a W. I'll take it, and it hopefully helps raise some confidence after dropping so many.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Stamkos' backcheck on Mueller(?) was his best play of the game. Probably his best game all year, too. MSL, Purcell, and Vinny had strong games aswell.

What can i say about Pouliot? He's been great. Killorn doesn't look out of place either.

Carle and Brewer do scare the crap out of me though. Almost as much as Lee. Hopefully this creates some momentum for us.

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State
Can't quite figure out why the NHL Attendance figures have the Panthers at over 100% - Today's game looked like there were an awful lot of empty seats especially between the blue lines. Anyone have the actual attendance for today's game?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Can't quite figure out why the NHL Attendance figures have the Panthers at over 100% - Today's game looked like there were an awful lot of empty seats especially between the blue lines. Anyone have the actual attendance for today's game?

nhl.com gives 17,009

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
There couldn't have been that many. It's either based on tickets sold or they're inflating their attendance figures. But then again, Miami never does support losing teams.

There's a thread on the business forum that discusses the "Red Zone." Those are the seats that always look empty on TV.

Edit: Nevermind, it's called Club Red

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Played a solid game, but we were still too loose defensively. Time for Boucher to rally the troops and tighten the D. We need to give up no more than 3 per game if we wanna string wins together. This offense has the potential to put up 4 goals a game pretty easily.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Did anyone else have the vibe that we were going to win even after the Pants were up by 2? Didn't have the same feeling of dread like the other games this season for me...

HeavyHammer

Go Bolts!
Feb 26, 2012
Ever get many Panthers fans in Tampa?

Some yeah, but not really anything to write home about. I remember one home game vrs the Panthers, I was on the Forum's party deck (overlooking the main entrance) with a friend and we were trying to pick out the red sweaters in a sea of people wearing blue (they were pretty few and far between).

The particular game I went to at the Panthers home arena didn't have a ton of Lightning fans there though. :dunno:

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
It's really sad, that we must score 5-6 goals to win a game :( We have the worst defense in the league.

I disagree. I think our defensive woes are due to coaching. Most of the time we lack a consistent forecheck and there seems to be no defensive structure. On paper I'd say we have a top 15 or top 20 defense.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yes, that's what I mean.. we have good players in defense, but the sytem is really bad.

I think the system is fine and some of us want Jon Cooper, who would do the same thing. The issue really seems to be about Boucher playing favorites.

There's a different dynamic where when a coach is in his first season with an existing team, everybody is playing for their jobs, and the coach playing favorites is concerning, and a motivating factor. Once the second season starts, the returning guys feel that they don't need to push harder than they were doing. That pressure is off them now. It becomes about the coach's ability to handle a group of guys where he isn't the newcomer looking to shake things up anymore. The coach now has to keep who is in his good books cutthroat by being consistent enough that it's clear that it's the player's stock falling by their own actions and not the coach moving the goal posts. It's should feel for them like it was their fault if they don't come back for another season.

It seems like he talks that game, but his actions don't appear to reflect that.

Last edited:

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I don't think its favorites, either. Its just a lot of guys that have zero confidence in what they're doing... a little success saw things go smoothly, and I think you saw what this team CAN be when it has some confidence and everyone is on the same page during the first Philadelphia game. Defense was pinching at the right time, forwards were working in the corners, and most importantly, guys aren't afraid of making mistakes. Now watch these guys when the puck gets deep - maybe one, two people get after them and the defense falls way, way back real early, we end up giving up the blueline with two forwards too far back and teams get deep on us. Rewatch games 3, 4 or 5 and you can see things working damn decently. You can see where things broke down mentally though, and they suddenly give up a couple. One or two timely saves in the Carolina game and the team has a nice little burst of energy and cycles well.

You kinda hope Guy is right when he said something about fighting adversity and opening the flood gates - yesterday they could have laid down and died after those two third period goals, along with the penalties, but they hung tough. They've got to get through that self pity and work on the north-south stuff.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV

It's always been tickets out (sold and given away). Everywhere you go.
I went to the Stars' opener and despite some pretty big bare patches in the lower bowl, they called it a sellout because it was. A lot of those seats are owned by corporate STHs who often don't use them most of the time.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
The only reasons I can think of for MAB and Lee playing and sitting Aulie are
  • Aulie is not 100% healthy
  • They are shopping MAB, and/or Lee
  • Lee has pictures or video to something embaressing

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
One great thing about Hedman this year over last is how he's skating the puck out of the Dzone more instead of just chipping it up the boards. I have to say, though, our breakouts are awful. There's no puck support. That needs to be fixed ASAP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad