2/15 game-Red Deer vs Portland, Phaneuf vs Coburn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whawks33

Apr 1, 2002
Portland OR
Visit site
maximil said:
I could care less about the general topic of this post.

I am really interested to hear how Funk and Mikkelson played. I want to know how they have been playing lately and who you think is going to be a better defenseman long term.

Where do you think Dan Da Silva will get picked?

Well, all three I can tell you about more than just this one game.

Funk has been getting better, much better over the course of this season. Was a time last season, when I wasn't so sure about Funk. Seems like he had even taken a step back from his rookie year. I used to be very nervous when he was on the ice and the game was close. While he still has some mental lapses (a recent cross crease pass, done with an opposing player standing right there to intercept it), they are fewer and further between. He still can be frustrating- he has a decent enough point shot, but either has little confidence in it, or doesn't want to seem selfish and passes rather than shoots. He's picked up his physical play lately, while losing none of his fluid skating and mobility. I also think he's realizing that he has a lot of WHL experience, and come next year, assuming Coburn is gone (depending on NHL), Funk will be the most experienced defenseman, and expected to be the leader on the blue line. He's known this all season, but earlier it looked like it was a heavy burden he was carrying. Now it looks like he's accepting the fact, and relishing the challenge. For me, the best indicator is that I'm no longer nervous when he's on the ice and its a tight game. I wouldn't say I'm happy he's on the ice, not yet, but I have no where near the feeling I had last season.

I honestly hate when people on here compare prospects to past or current NHL players. However, watching Mikkelson play reminds me a lot of Paul Coffey. Offensive minded, sometimes not the greatest defensively, but also able to rush the puck out of his zone, and coast to coast if need be. He has solid puck handling ability and great wheels. I'm not sure where he placed at the top prospect game, but he was 2nd in the Hawks skills challenge for fastest skater. His skating is probably his best asset. His point shot is good, if a little bit off target. He does need a quicker release on his shot. He plays his gaps well too, better than a number of defenseman his age. Mikkelson is one of those players that it has been and will be fun to watch him develop.

I always try to be relatively honest here when I post about players. I admit I have a home town bias, but I still try and be as objective as I can when someone asks for my opinion on a player. I'm not sure I can do that with Da Silva. He has been my favorite Hawks player since his rookie year. So, understanding that bias, my comments on Da Silva: He's one of those guys who just has a nose for the net. He can score goals however you want them, a pretty play or a downright ugly goal. One thing Da Silva has shown this season also is a wonderful ability to pass. Some of his passes have been prettier than his goals. I don't think he'd ever be considered a play maker, but it certainly adds a dimension to his game when defenseman have to worried not only about his shooting ability, but his passing as well. He challenged and won the hardest shot competition with a 94 MPH shot (least that's what the guys using the radar guns said. how accurate they are I'm not sure). He also has great vision. He can just see how plays develop, and knows where to be for the best shot or pass. Another dimension he's added this season is his hard nosed physical play. He seems to have seen how much space good hard checking and agressive forechecking can open up for himself and his linemates (he generally plays on a line with Dubinsky and McLeod). He has his best games when he comes out of the gate hitting. All that good being said, the biggest knock on Da Silva is his skating. He is on the slow side. He's not as slow or as awkward as he was as a rookie, but he'll never be fleet of foot. But most often he gets where he needs to be. His leadership ability was recognized this year when he became an alternate captain, and wouldn't surprise me if he was the team captain next season.

As for him being drafted, he is 19 this season, so his prime 18 year old draft year has gone by. I don't see him being drafted this year. I'd say that Da Silva has a good shot at being signed after his 20 year old season as a free agent, but who knows what the NHL has in store for the future.

Hope that answers your questions.

Thanks to all who posted kind words too...

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Dubinsky is a gamer, and he'd have taken on Phaneuf if Phaneuf stood up for himself. Instead, Dubinsky rolled over him a few times, with no respose from Phaneuf.

rock on dubinsky :yo:

how's he looking?

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Whawks33 said:
Dubinsky is a gamer, and he'd have taken on Phaneuf if Phaneuf stood up for himself. Instead, Dubinsky rolled over him a few times, with no respose from Phaneuf. Phaneuf also took a high stick to the face from a Hawks player, one the referee clearly did not see, and Phaneuf did nothing.

Why should Phaneuf have to do something about it? Why would the Rebels want their best player in the box for 10 minutes? Its like Iginla and fighting. Yes, he fights but its not smart to do it all the time because the Flames are without their best player for 10 minutes. The same thing goes for Phaneuf and Red Deer. There are guys with roles to stand up for the top players.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
Coburn can have this game while Phaneuf can have every other game ever being played since being drafted and also making himself look like a true #1 defenseman in the WJ the last 2 years, whole Coburn in that tourny has looked like a #5/6 defenseman.

1 game vs 2 years of very solid play....you do the math, smart guy.

Grow up Patrick.

Phaneuf is what he is. One report about an average or poor game he had does not mean you have to charge to his defense and make exaggerations.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Grow up Patrick.

Phaneuf is what he is. One report about an average or poor game he had does not mean you have to charge to his defense and make exaggerations.

What was that? All I heard was blah blah blah....

BIG M

Mar 2, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Phaneuf Shows Descipline Not Fear

Phaneuf has won the outstanding defensive player in the last two world chanpionships when the pressure is the greatest. I think that he is showing maturity when he does not retaliate to high sticks and other provocations. Sutter does not tolerate a lack of discipline from his players and Phaneuf is a mature player.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
What was that? All I heard was blah blah blah....

The fact that you heard an image on your monitor is a reason to be concerned. :teach:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->