GDT: 2/13/21 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Florida

YayHockeysBack

Jan 12, 2019
He looked good last season during his call-ups too, we actually have a spot for him this year so lets see how far this expirement goes. His work ethic stuck out more than his production, the board battles and physical play is what we've been missing this year from that line.

Exactamundo. Perfect 4th-liner.

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
TB was embarrassed on Thursday and it lit a fire under them. They completely, utterly dominated a very good team w/o half of their top 6 forwards! Not much to complain about in this one. Almost everyone had an excellent game. Lots of fun to watch Smith get a start and 2 impressive assists. Volkov with his first NHL goal. TyJo with 2 goals. Joseph continuing his strong start to the season. Vasi looking like his usual self after a loss. Gourde seemingly winning every faceoff (at least when the game was close). Just a completely entertaining game.

Other thoughts:
- What does Vasi have to do to get a SO?
- Do the bolts ever lose when they go 11/7?
- They put on a PK CLINIC in this game
- McD is looking better than ever for this team this year
- Did Johnson look quicker to anyone else after his 2 goals? Hope this game gave him a confidence boost
- The league whould be VERY scared if this team is healthy going into the playoffs

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
TB was embarrassed on Thursday and it lit a fire under them. They completely, utterly dominated a very good team w/o half of their top 6 forwards! Not much to complain about in this one. Almost everyone had an excellent game. Lots of fun to watch Smith get a start and 2 impressive assists. Volkov with his first NHL goal. TyJo with 2 goals. Joseph continuing his strong start to the season. Vasi looking like his usual self after a loss. Gourde seemingly winning every faceoff (at least when the game was close). Just a completely entertaining game.

Other thoughts:
- Did Johnson look quicker to anyone else after his 2 goals? Hope his this game gave him a confidence boost
- The league whould be VERY scared if this team is healthy going into the playoffs

I think our 11-7 record is pretty similar to our 12-6 record. What it comes down to is we're a good team and we don't lose very often, regardless how we shape the line up.

McDonagh has had many amazing stretches for us in his few years here. When we first paired him with Cernak, he was unreal. And he appears to have returned to that level.

Absolutely Johnson did look quicker. And he challenged defenders successfully, which we seriously haven't seen in years. We'll see how long it lasts, but getting him away from Killorn is a good start. A demotion is the best thing EVEN FOR JOHNSON because it gets him away from Killorn. It's almost a curse in disguise when those two have a moment of success because then Cooper leaves them together for far too long, and they have always, ALWAYS, had the worst chemistry of any two players on the team. Having Johnson on a lower line is better for both the team and Johnson himself.

The league is scared of us even if we only get half healthy. We had one of the easiest cup runs in recent memory despite being without a 95 point scorer. Honestly I think we could do it without Kucherov if a couple of things go right. If we're fully healthy, we're clear favorites, 100% objectively, to repeat.

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
It's almost a curse in disguise when those two have a moment of success because then Cooper leaves them together for far too long, and they have always, ALWAYS, had the worst chemistry of any two players on the team. Having Johnson on a lower line is better for both the team and Johnson himself.
Agreed, sort of. They shouldn't be on the same line. Their games complimented each other 5 years ago, but not now.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

Other thoughts:
- Did Johnson look quicker to anyone else after his 2 goals? Hope his this game gave him a confidence boost
Every game I watch this year makes me feel like we have 3 defensemen (Hedman, McD, Serg) playing #1D quality games.

Reactions: UseYourHedman

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Every game I watch this year makes me feel like we have 3 defensemen (Hedman, McD, Serg) playing #1D quality games.

And don't forget how, by being able to spread these guys across all three pairings, you keep all of their minutes down. Those saved minutes come in handy very nicely come playoff time.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
This is what champions are made of...

Hats off to a great team effort.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Agreed, sort of. They shouldn't be on the same line. Their games complimented each other 5 years ago, but not now.

Even 5 years ago they were terrible together. They've never had more than a game or two at a time where they can find each other consistently. It's only gotten worse as Johnson has declined.

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
I've been fooled a couple of times this year by the 7 on McD's jersey and thought it was Hedman. No one else is the Hedmonster, but he's playing at a high level for sure.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
McDonagh would be the #1 on a few teams in the league. I don't think Sergachev is there yet. I think he's solidly top-4, but hasn't quite developed the consistency yet to be in the upper tier of Dmen. He had a 20ish game stretch last year where he was approaching that level, and we've seen flashes of it this year.

YayHockeysBack

Jan 12, 2019
Just another observation I don't anyone's made yet, but Foote is playing with a lot more confidence and he doesn't seem as slow out there. He made some damn nice defensive plays tonight, and seemed to make good decisions about when to pinch and when to stay back.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
What sucks is he's at the top of the list to get cut no matter how good he plays, there's only one spot open if we're healthy in the playoffs.

Between Joseph, Volkov, Smith and Stephens only one of them will get in.
When healthy it will for sure be a battle for ice time, but Smith is a Cooper kind of player. I think he earned some more time in the short-term at least.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
When healthy it will for sure be a battle for ice time, but Smith is a Cooper kind of player. I think he earned some more time in the short-term at least.

He'll definitely get a look while Stephens is out. Might be hard for Stephens to get back in, really.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Lezg00

Jan 14, 2021
Other thoughts:

make more stops, obviously

nope

an absolute clinic

Beast

- Did Johnson look quicker to anyone else after his 2 goals? Hope this game gave him a confidence boost

he is who we think he is..

100%
s

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
McDonagh would be the #1 on a few teams in the league. I don't think Sergachev is there yet. I think he's solidly top-4, but hasn't quite developed the consistency yet to be in the upper tier of Dmen. He had a 20ish game stretch last year where he was approaching that level, and we've seen flashes of it this year.

He's been better than ever after that horrible Columbus game this year, first time ever that I've felt comfortable with him on the PK. He was a big part of killing that double minor and his transition game right now is at its best.

Kinda find it strange people are praising McDonagh right now, he's been pretty rough defensively these last 2 games.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Just another observation I don't anyone's made yet, but Foote is playing with a lot more confidence and he doesn't seem as slow out there. He made some damn nice defensive plays tonight, and seemed to make good decisions about when to pinch and when to stay back.
I agree his positioning and timing has improved a ton since the first game. Also seems to have gotten the hang of making the quick smart plays. I was impressed with his game tonight.

Also McD has seemed to have found the fountain of youth, the guy has a been a stud this season.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Barkov is such a strange player to me, he's got an elite skillset but always seems like he's just going at one pace. He'd be so dominant if he had another gear.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Damn, miss one game and Volkov gets his first.

Good to see Johnson stepping up. Smith seems like he had a good one too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad