GDT: 2/12/13 - 7:30PM EDT - Montréal VS Tampa Bay

Can't be mad... we stole a point.

This. You can't be mad when you steal a point from a game you never deserved to be in the first place. A couple of those goals were flukes and I'm very happy we escaped with even a point. Every single point matters in a shortened season.
Yep. We didn't deserve a thing, so I am ok with this.

CC321

Jun 23, 2012
In the 1st, the ref looked like he had a lot of money on Montreal getting a powerplay goal. After that though, we almost played as well as a Montreal team that no one expects to make the playoffs. A good team would of killed us tonight. We lack confidence right now, and that can make a team look worse than it really is, but the way we are playing just isn't good enough.

When things are not clicking, I expect us to say "Fucc it, we are just going to play a simple game, outwork them, crash the net, keep our sticks on the puck and get the win that way." Getting depressed and disorganized when things go wrong has to stop. Focusing and working harder when things go wrong is the way out of a slump.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
How was Panik and Killorn tonight? Missed this one kinda. At a bar so only saw parts. Why didn't we use Conacher and someone else in the shootout? Everyone knows St Louis and Stamkos mail it in.

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State
How was Panik and Killorn tonight? Missed this one kinda. At a bar so only saw parts. Why didn't we use Conacher and someone else in the shootout? Everyone knows St Louis and Stamkos mail it in.

Pretty much no-shows but then again, it was hard to say anyone played well enough until the last 6 minutes and OT.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
What an awful, lifeless game. We were very lucky to get a point out of that.

Edit: Shame on Lightning fans who booed the fight. It was a terrible scrap, but have some respect!

MrMcGz

Dec 8, 2009
Crestview FL
Panik and Killorn each played only 9 minutes tonight. Hard to comment much about their play, looked fine to me though.

They need more time to make an impact obviously. The top six is playing like crap, give the bottom lines some more time and play like we're on the road at home, so it translates to the road games!

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
For what it's worth this is my take on the game. Once again we didn't convert on our early chances and it cost us. The line of Pouliot Pyatt and Killorn had some tremendous grinding shifts the type a play we needed on the road. Once again Boucher was impatient and split up the line. I was against splitting up MSL and Stamkos, but after watching the third period with Conacher and Stamkos together I think this needs to be done. Conachers relentless play seemed to rub off and Stamkos and he had an excellent third period. To me our best forwards on the night were Pyatt and Conacher. Panik looked a bit lost out there which can be expected for a first game. Hedman and Salo I wish could play the whole game, these two are tremendous together. Eric Brewer can't skate period ! Lindback was strong but once again let in a poor goal, he's seems to do this once game.
I can't help but feel the guys are pressing a little too much. If we could get an early goal I think they would settle down and get back to playing the way they can. With Hedman, Stamkos, Conacher, Killorn all young, the Lightning are building a solid nucleus for the next few years. Boucher needs to show more patience and quit mixing up the lines constantly. To me the constant shuffling of lines is sending the wrong message to the team.

CSampson

Apr 8, 2009
I wouldn't say we didn't play with heart. I would say that we didn't have a consistent effort from all of our players throughout the entire game. We definitely showed signs of the team we were that started the season, in the third period. Also, I thought we skated much harder and were more determined in winning the puck back for most of the game, opposed to the crap we've seen on the road lately. There was finally some fight today and we also started to show some semblance of sustained offensive zone pressure that we've sorely lacked.

I completely disagree :). The only guy who can win a puck battle is Pyatt. I thought no one skated well tonight at all. The neutral zone was an absolute disaster. Skate a little fast, slow down because MTL won't let you carry it in, refuse to dump and chase and try and carry it - oops turnover.

Even Stamkos...he has great speed but he tries a lot to skate his way into the zone and the opposing D just positionally boxes him off into the boards. I've just seen it happen a lot lately.

Maybe I'm overly critical but I've been disgusted these last 5 games. This team has waded through mediocrity for way too long. And while holes from last year have been plugged (Lindback has made some outstanding saves), new holes are opening up all over.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Three words...zone...entry & ...forecheck

Team completely lacks zone entry creavtivity, and no, not dropping the puck back while 3 STAND at the blue line waiting to go to war with their bayonets, they just cant enter the zone with possession...and when they do, its a rarity, but when they do...they cant forecheck.

IMO, I thought Hedman showed Norris candidate play last night, I really did, he outplayed everybody there to play hockey last night. Kid has heart, he showed me he has a pair after last night. The best line is always the line with Pyatt. He's such a hustler, put him with Marty and Stamkos and things will click, he never goes transparent, he's always on the puck.

Still not sure wtf is going on.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Here's the thing about dumping and chasing. It's a numbers thing. Apparently our stars are unwilling to count. If you have an advantage 3 on 2, 2 on 1, carry the puck and push the play. Otherwise, chip it soft to the corner, KEEP IT AWAY FROM THE GOALIE. Forecheck with 2 and support one another.

The Bolts were guilty of hard dumps too often last night. Price dismantled the forecheck with his puck handling. There's a reason why we think the Hall's and Pyatt's are great. They dump and chase and forecheck like their lives depend on it.

Purcell is one of the most flaccid players I've ever seen play the game. Almost completely unwilling to battle for pucks in a corner or on the wall. He's like a slower Phil Kessel. Stamkos looked much better when combined with someone willing to recklessly forecheck. When they came out with Conacher on his line, he picked up the play. He started hitting and shooting because Conacher will go through broken glass and fire to chase the puck.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I couldn't agree more with Purcell, drives me nuts. Little guys like Pyatt and Conacher grinding it out and Purcell won't work up a sweat going after a puck in the dirty areas.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Here's the thing about dumping and chasing. It's a numbers thing. Apparently our stars are unwilling to count. If you have an advantage 3 on 2, 2 on 1, carry the puck and push the play. Otherwise, chip it soft to the corner, KEEP IT AWAY FROM THE GOALIE. Forecheck with 2 and support one another.

The Bolts were guilty of hard dumps too often last night. Price dismantled the forecheck with his puck handling. There's a reason why we think the Hall's and Pyatt's are great. They dump and chase and forecheck like their lives depend on it.

Purcell is one of the most flaccid players I've ever seen play the game. Almost completely unwilling to battle for pucks in a corner or on the wall. He's like a slower Phil Kessel. Stamkos looked much better when combined with someone willing to recklessly forecheck. When they came out with Conacher on his line, he picked up the play. He started hitting and shooting because Conacher will go through broken glass and fire to chase the puck.

I agree but somebody has to be hard on the puck, and there were many times like the road trip prior to this game, where there was no pressure on the opposing d. They didnt forecheck...

Cant really talk about them anymore, I can go over with you and you with I, 1 million and 1 things they've done wrong til our faces go blue, shake it off and watch tomorrows game I guess. :help:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think Conacher has been watching St. Louis too close as I've seen him try to many fancy passes lately. Aulie needs to be playing more than Brewer. I'd like to see Hall with Stamkos and Conacher as he's our best forechecker who could get them the puck in the offensive zone. Purcell is just terrible right now. Brian Lee gets no love from the refs as he's had some terrible calls go against him.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Give it up with Lee he's terrible, and I don't see the fancy passes from Conacher. If your thinking the pass in OT to Stamkos, it was a perfect leading pass that Stankos didn't pick up. My third defensive pairing would be Aulie and Gudas we could use the nastiness we don't have enough, and forget Crombeen he just doesn't fill the role he should be filling.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
These drop passes are intentional, but it's up to the F2 to be able to keep up and know what's going on for it to work.

I can see this being an effective option if they drill the **** out of it.

but if it's obvious that it's not going to work, then Boucher needs to be able to recognize that and move on.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Give it up with Lee he's terrible, and I don't see the fancy passes from Conacher. If your thinking the pass in OT to Stamkos, it was a perfect leading pass that Stankos didn't pick up. My third defensive pairing would be Aulie and Gudas we could use the nastiness we don't have enough, and forget Crombeen he just doesn't fill the role he should be filling.

Lee's terrible really? You do know Lee is 15 and not 2, Brewer has been abysmal since the road trip started. You think either of the two calls on Lee with legit last night? I'm not trying to say he should be on the first pair but he is a solid bottom pair player. He handles the puck well, makes a good first pass, plays physical, he had poor form to start the season but has rounded out pretty well of late. Brewer on the other hand has been declining, he looks like he skates worse than Labrie, doesn't use his size enough to clear the crease.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
We scored most goals in the league and had one of the best powerplays at first, then suddenly we score least goals and our PP sucks.

It's not like we experienced injuries or such to explain it with :help:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
We scored most goals in the league and had one of the best powerplays at first, then suddenly we score least goals and our PP sucks.

It's not like we experienced injuries or such to explain it with :help:

Headscratcher for sure. I dont get it either. Then again they are getting more penalties than PPs and our offense is in a slump. They have a roster filled of scorers though. They will figure it out. At least were complaining about the offense for once. Defense/Goaltending actually has been more solid than we are used to.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I agree with what someone said above. When we were on the PP, we dumped it in a lot - right to Price who would then play it to a teammate to clear it, or clear it himself. That was very frustrating. I remember saying, STOP DUMPING IT IN. Price handles it every time. Boy that guy looks calm out there though. I hate it :laugh: Our zone entry is absolutely laughable. Also, put Pyatt between Marty and Stammer. He had a great game I thought (Pyatt). That boy can hustle. Hopefully he shows those two how it's done. Or CC can. Either way, Marty and Stammer have been very disappointing this year. So many turnovers, and basically dumb plays. I remember at one point last night, it may have been Stammer, turned it right over to someone who had 2 defenders on him. It's like, what goes through your head there?

We didn't deserve that point at all, but I'll take it. Can't show up for 7 minutes of a hockey game and deserve a win. Try the full 60 next time and see what happens. Sheesh. Embarrassing almost.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
I completely disagree :). The only guy who can win a puck battle is Pyatt. I thought no one skated well tonight at all. The neutral zone was an absolute disaster. Skate a little fast, slow down because MTL won't let you carry it in, refuse to dump and chase and try and carry it - oops turnover.

Even Stamkos...he has great speed but he tries a lot to skate his way into the zone and the opposing D just positionally boxes him off into the boards. I've just seen it happen a lot lately.

Maybe I'm overly critical but I've been disgusted these last 5 games. This team has waded through mediocrity for way too long. And while holes from last year have been plugged (Lindback has made some outstanding saves), new holes are opening up all over.

Compared to the last few games, this was a much better game. We actually had some time in the offensive zone and weren't pinned in our own end for more than half the game. Not to mention the fact that we were actually giving Montreal a ton of trouble by clogging up the neutral zone and applying high pressure on their breakouts. Keep in mind we couldn't successfully get past center ice against the Rangers and Flyers.

I'm not saying we played great or even good by any stretch; just that it was an improvement over the last few games we've played on the road. Clearly when we got possession back we either turned it over a lot or sent it too deep to one of the best puck handling goalies in the league. Still, much better effort from our players tonight, we were actually skating for a change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad