GDT: 2/10/13 - 7:30PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ New York Rangers

RECsGuy*

Like it or not, y'all are in the Luongo Sweepstakes. VL and Marty aren't getting any younger. Too talented a team to be ****ing around with another year of subpar goaltending.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I honestly don't see any part of this team as a weakness except coaching. If the coach instills structure and discipline into a team, we'll stop seeing 2 or 3 short handed breakaways a game and constant Chinese fire drills in the DZ. That leads to stronger defense and goaltending, maybe even take away those 1 or 2 softies since we aren't hanging our goalie out so dry to often. Also an easier breakout pass and/or consistent forecheck that will help the team maintain pressure. The structure of the team is so important and that's one of the only things we still lack.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
There are a lot of issues with the team right now, but each of the issues is an "effort" type, not skill type. Our forecheck (except for our fourth line) is send one guy in deep, wave his stick at someone, and then peel off. Puck battles along the wall? Lol. Also, except for our fourth line. Traffic in front of the net? Lol. (By the way, our one goal tonight came from traffic in front of the net). Entry? Nope. Standing people up at the blue line? Nope. This isn't a talent issue. This is an effort issue. I don't know if it's Boucher, but these were things we were doing at the beginning of the season, so it doesn't seem like a coaching issue. Honestly, I have no ****ing clue what's going on. It just seems lazy.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Like it or not, y'all are in the Luongo Sweepstakes. VL and Marty aren't getting any younger. Too talented a team to be ****ing around with another year of subpar goaltending.

Unless Luongo can score goals he's really not the answer to the problem.

Not going to say that Lindback and Garon have been sharp, they haven't, but a team with St. Louis, Stamkos, Lecavlier and Purcell should be able to score more than one or two a game. Kind of sucks for a goalie knowing that he'll have to post a shutout or a one goal game to get a win.

And if somebody had told me that 10 games in, the only top 6 forward I'd be even slightly not disgusted to see hit the ice was Lecavalier, I'd have said they needed to either lay off the drugs or up the dosage.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
cMjq8Jp.gif

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Don't jump the gun just yet, Boucher has been the best coach we've had since 2004, I'm not going to throw the guy out after a 4 game losing streak and risk another fiasco/blowup from a newhead coach.

Players are there? Stamkos regardless of his point totals has shown up for maybe 2 games this season, likewise with St.louis. Malone is completely invisible every other game, same with Purcell. Conacher is hustling but he can't do everything himself. Not to mention Lecavalier has a bad history of not getting along with his coaches, Boucher really rejuvenated him.

The only players who've shown up this season are the Top-4 D, Conacher, the 4th line, Lecavalier and pouliot.

What I was implying was that the players, the owner, the GM is all there, we have the essentials to be a contender this year and in the years following but we wont get anywhere without a coach. I dont want to see Boucher leave but there needs to be a wake up call from HIM and nobody else. He knows this team like the back of his hand, now its his turn to turn these men into a team that can play on the road, something this team obviously cant do.

Conacher has had bad games, same with Stammer, same with MSL and the same with nearly everybody that has dressed this season. Pouliot has looked subpar with his hope passes lately too so your assessment is inaccurate. Nearly every player, with the exception of...never thought I'd say this...Hedman being our best player so far and Salo being an answered prayer.

Lee is lee and about the worst dman Ive ever seen. Honestly, he plays as if he was dropped in a rink for the first time every shift. His awareness is awful, so is his gap control. Aulie is aulie and just needs more experience. Brewer has been mediocre lately, same for Carle. Im disappointed with Carle's play lately, giveaway after giveaway and stupid hope passes.

As a spectator with common sense, watching these first dozen games, I would say the coaching is at fault. We cant enter the zone unless we are at the Forum? Gimme a break. Thats pathetic..

DISCLAIMER: Im not writing them off, I think the problem lies deep within the coaching, if this continues throughout the whole season, a big IF, then I dont expect Boucher to be the coach of TB too much longer.

Every dog has its day and I think Boucher had his day back in 2011. :help:

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
"....Brewer has been mediocre lately...."

If by lately you mean all of last year and most of this year then you are 100% correct.:shakehead

The reason he was "bad" last year was all the minutes he had to cover when he is a top 4 dman, kinda slow, and getting older. He was put into a top 2 role and heavily relied upon.

This season, he's hit and miss, I still think his gap control for such an experienced veteran is among one of the worst Ive seen. The home games he was great, still shaky, but now, like most of the team, he's just meh, average, not a stand out.

Again, Hedman, which it pains me to say as Ive been his biggest critic since day(I have my reasons ;) ) has been our best player all season.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

If we wanted Luongo we would have traded for him in the off season.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
"....Brewer has been mediocre lately...."

If by lately you mean all of last year and most of this year then you are 100% correct.:shakehead

Everyone wants to **** on Brian Lee for having a few bad games early but Brewer has been much worse the last 5 or so games. If it wasn't for his goals early in the season he would be useless.

CC321

Jun 23, 2012

With the new CBA, Vancouver could keep say 2mil/yr of his contract. That would make Luongo more attractive, but the length of his contract is the concern. We already have Vinny, Marty, and Brewer for several more years. If age dulls their skills, which happens to everyone eventually, before their contracts end the team is in danger of getting strangled financially. I don't think Luongo will be coming here, unless it was a swap for Vinny.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
With the new CBA, Vancouver could keep say 2mil/yr of his contract. That would make Luongo more attractive, but the length of his contract is the concern. We already have Vinny, Marty, and Brewer for several more years. If age dulls their skills, which happens to everyone eventually, before their contracts end the team is in danger of getting strangled financially. I don't think Luongo will be coming here, unless it was a swap for Vinny.

Vancouver is looking to contend now, so I don't think they'll do that. They are pretty tight against the cap anyway. That D is expensive and imo they need one more top6 player there to bring them that cup.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Does anybody feel that our tough guy/fighter situation still isnt resolved? I wish Artyukhin and Roy would come back. its a stretch with Roy as I was a big fan...but Artyukhin is an ideal 3rd/4th liner. Miss him :cry:

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Artyukhin was nothing more than a penalty magnet no thanks.

There was no structure at that time with the Lightning, I dont think he'd change too much if he came back to the NHL but he changed quite a few games when he was here, he has a lot of speed, one of the strongest players Ive ever seen play. He's a monster...wish he'd come back.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Does anybody feel that our tough guy/fighter situation still isnt resolved? I wish Artyukhin and Roy would come back. its a stretch with Roy as I was a big fan...but Artyukhin is an ideal 3rd/4th liner. Miss him :cry:

That's not what this team needs. Come on now. Labrie is useless and Boucher and Yzerman aren't fond of the fighters who happen to put on skates. Would be a waste of space on the team.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
That's not what this team needs. Come on now. Labrie is useless and Boucher and Yzerman aren't fond of the fighters who happen to put on skates. Would be a waste of space on the team.

I know. But he had more to his game then just stupid penalties. I liked him quite a bit, still remember that hit he put on Seidenberg(I think?) against Carolina. What a brute. Wouldnt be a bigger waste then Crombeen or Labrie though. If Killorn keeps playing like last night, he'll eventually knock Labrie out of the NHL and back into his boat so he can sail back to Syracuse.

Nostalgia has set in. Youtube Artyukhin, enjoy. (Love that moment against Ottawa when he just ripped the helmet off Vermette and smashed it on his head) :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad