Post-Game Talk: 2,000th FRANCHISE WIN! #53 Canucks 1 at Flyers 2, Monday Feb 4 7:00PM ET

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Hart just reminds me so much of Price. Doesn’t over work himself, always calm, square to the shooter. He should have had the shutout tonight if it wasn’t for one terrible decision on his part to play the puck.

I didn’t see the defenseman who tried to stop the puck with his stick but I think he would like that play back if he had the chance. If he goes down to the ice he could have prevented that puck from going in. Instead he tried to make a play on the puck with his stick. Happens and it’s a learning moment but it was sloppy all around.
It was the right decision to play the puck, just player it into a poor spot

Not to mention TKs dumb decision to throw it blindly into the slot after an already horrible 3 on 0

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
All this love for Carter Hart, I don't get it. Guy can't even get a shut out. Vancouver was supposed to be a bottom-feeder team. They kept Petterson off the scoreboard. This guy can't buy a clean sheet.
Puff,
Puff,

Pass.

La di da! He's about to maybe tie Jocelyn Thibault, what a pinacle of stardom!

#ObviousHeelTurn

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Sorry but no. This new attempt to defend Hakstol by saying Hart is the only difference is wrong. The problems the Flyers had this season were goaltending and a special teams. All of these were problems attributable to the coaching staff.

This revisionist history that Hakstol and Lapps, after years of ineptitude, fixed the PK in the weeks prior to Hakstol getting fired is a myth. No one can even point to a single thing either of them did to fix it. It was a temporary “hot streak,” a dead-cat bounce similar to the one that ended the 17-18 season that Hextall cited as a sign of improvement that led him to make no changes to the coaching staff or PK personnel.

Gordon made tangible changes that everyone can see. Everyone is more aggressive, all the forwards attack now, there is relentless pressure and numerous SH chances now. Also Giroux and Lindblom became staples on the PK.

Similarly the PP has undergone significant changes, a multitude of changes. PP2 is scoring goals for the first time in years. Gordon has switched the lineup more times in his tenure than Hakstol did in 4 years.

LStly, Hakstol was as much to blame for the goaltending debacle as any of the individual goalies. The man tied a record for most goalies used for one season - in half a season. Every single goalie he ever touched landed on IR.

Carter Hart is 10-5-1 with a .925 save %. What do you think the Flyers’ record would be in those 16 games without him?

Reactions: marcsson68

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
its amazing how teams are able to enter the ozone on us at ease with the puck on their stick, while we continue to try to dump and chase. WE just don't have those great puck handling guys that can enter the zone on the reg.
Incorrect! We have those players, but they don't play 60 minutes a game.

The real difference, is our defense is paper soft. There's some stylistic nuances to what you're seeing, but these guys have been around long enough, that we can predict their playstyle.
Ghost usually makes his stand at the opponents blue line, before they get going. Most players will have their head down trying to generate speed through the beginning part of the neutral zone, this is when Ghost pounces, relying on speed to get back if a miss makes it necessary.
Gudas looks to drop the boom right at our blueline, separate man from puck. Spacing dictates an upright shoulder above the circles, or a hip check at the circles.
Hagg, kinda like a Gudas-lite, but not yet there. He will step up when confident, which isn't often, usually retreats and looks to hammer a guy along the wall from the dots down.
AMac is the biggest offender of just acquiescing the blue line until he's in his goalies lap, where he'll step up and try to block a shot. Nothing new, not surprising.
Provorov is falling into that AMac model, but when he does get close to an offensive player, has the skill to disposes them like a black hole.
Sanheim, I need to see more of him, his tendencies don't appear consistent to my eye yet.

All of this to say, Voracek, Giroux, Ghost, Couts, Sanheim can all skate the puck into the zone with possession under control. Provorov is looking close to that, but his first pass is failing way too much and he seldom shoots off the rush on his forays. While many players are not capable of these smooth entries, more fault lies on support players not being available, nor ready, for that first pass after entrance. Flyers are getting turned over too much after they make a decision, not prior.
The reason it appears as though teams have an easier time against us has more to do with the detailed defensemen above, rather than the inability of our skaters playing offense.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Thanks to Hart, Stolie has posted a shutout. :P

Before anyone (and I'm damn sure it will be just one person) jumps on this, this is a joke. A joke. Joke.

Reactions: Striiker

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Top 10 goaltender comps for Hart:
1. Jacques Plante
2. Vladislav Tretiak
3. Dominik Hasek
4. Patrick Roy
5. Terry Sawchuk
6. Ken Dryden
7. Martin Brodeur
8. Tony Esposito
9. Georges Vezina
10. Michael Leighton
See, I know what you're doing there, including that #10 bum. But your list is filled with guys that weren't tough. There's no Billy Smiths, no Ron Hextalls, Felix Potvins, Robert Esches, Mike Vernons, Ray Emerys. How is this Hart kid (great pro-wrestler name) supposed to protect his crease if he's a mamby-pamby?

When he plays tougher, maybe he'll get a shut out, and I'll be impressed. Until then, just another softie who needs to lift moar.

#ObviousHeelTurn

https://www.quora.com/What-NHL-goalie-had-the-most-fights-ever

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
@mja
In reply to, “My issue with you remains the same as it always is. You are confirmation bias personified. You saw Patrick struggle with certain things during preseason and decided he wasn't giving enough effort, because it's all you can fall back on, because you don't understand what you are watching. You have been on a mission since the season even began ****ting on Patrick and his effort.”

That’s quite a storyline you’ve weaved together.

I said in the preseason that Patrick didn’t look good & I was worried about him at 2C.

He proceeded to score 11 points in the first half of the season. Tied with Dale Weise. One less than Robert Hagg. A defenseman routinely railed for his lack of offensive skill.

That’s not confirmation bias. That’s confirmation.

As for Patrick’s effort level, that was something I recently mentioned that you’ve fabricated into a fable of a coordinated, season-long hit piece. And I cited two quotes — from his head coach & a hockey HOFer/pro scout — that directly related to Patrick not giving his top effort consistently. More people who “don’t understand what they’re watching” I suppose.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Sorry, but having 3 potential scoring lines has given the team more depth and balance, and made them harder to play against.

Scene: Coaches meeting at Voorhees.

Gordo: It's going great with the lineup like this. JVR has come alive playing with G and TK. Oskar looks great with Couts and Jake. Laughton is a beast with Patrick and Simmonds, both of whom are playing their best hockey of the year.

Analytics Guy: But Giroux's Corsi is down, he's playing lousy. We have to break up the lines. It's all here in my report.

Gordo: Giroux's been playing great and we've won 8 straight playing as a team, using three top Cs to take secondary scoring pressure off Patrick instead of loading up one line. Thanks for the report.

Analytics Guy: [Leaves room].

Gordo: [Tosses report in blue bin]

[End scene]

Ok, here's the anti-analytics report. Pure 5v5 goals and assists. Nothing else. This line isn't doing so hot. It's below in black and white. Plain english, game by game, during the 8 game win streak.

**5v5 pts**

Van:
Giroux - 0
JVR - 0
TK - 0

Edm:
Giroux - 0
JVR - 0
TK - 0

Bos:
Giroux - 1G (out with 93 & 14)
JVR - 0
TK - 0

NYR:
Giroux - 0
JVR - 0
TK - 0

Jets:
Giroux - 0
JVR - 1A
TK - 1G 1A

Montreal:
Giroux - 0
JVR - 1G
TK - 1G 1A (goal scored with 14 & 23)

Bos:
Giroux - 1A (assist on with 23 & 93)
JVR - 0
TK - 0

Wild:
Giroux - 1A
JVR - 1G
TK - 0

** Totals when on the ice together over the 8 game win streak **

Giroux - 1A
JVR - 2G 1A
TK - 1G 2A

tenor.gif

Tell me more about how G needs to stay at center and all the great things this line is doing. Giroux's scoring totals and advanced stats are both lousy. I'll wait. :popcorn:

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
Ok, here's the anti-analytics report. Pure 5v5 goals and assists. Nothing else. This line isn't doing so hot. It's below in black and white. Plain english, game by game, during the 8 game win streak.

**5v5 pts**

Van:
Giroux - 0
JVR - 0
TK - 0

Edm:
Giroux - 0
JVR - 0
TK - 0

Bos:
JVR - 0
TK - 0

NYR:
Giroux - 0
JVR - 0
TK - 0

Jets:
Giroux - 0
JVR - 1A
TK - 1G 1A

Montreal:
Giroux - 0
JVR - 1G

Bos:
JVR - 0
TK - 0

Wild:
Giroux - 1A
JVR - 1G
TK - 0

Giroux - 1A
JVR - 2G 1A
TK - 1G 2A

tenor.gif

Tell me more about how G needs to stay at center and all the great things this line is doing. Giroux's scoring totals and advanced stats are both lousy. I'll wait. :popcorn:
I'm going to take the obvious route. I blame JVR and his love handles - can't keep up with the two dynamic guys.

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018
Voracek had a great game, the problem with Voracek is you can say that about one out of three or four games, then he goes MIA for a couple games. He's been playing better lately, but consistency has always been what has held him back from being a great player, both game to game, and within games when it comes to defense. I think it does help him to play with Couts, it helps everyone.

(…)

Hagg has really regressed the last month or so, someone mentioned he might be wearing down, sit him for Folin for a game.

(…)

Overall the team is playing no better under Gordon than under Hakstol, and last night was a perfect example, so much for the "Hakshell," they were dominated in the 3rd period, a good offensive team will do that to you when they're behind and willing to take chances.

Hart is the difference, now Stolarz has to step up and show he's a capable backup, or they'll have to put Elliott back when he's healthy.
Hart flat out stole this game, they could have easily been down 2-0 after the 1st period.
As soon as you figure he can't play better, he plays better.
But changes still need to be made this offseason.

Most of this is pretty evident. But it´s because you are the one who is writing it down, many disagree automatically.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

**5v5 pts**

Van:
Giroux - 0
JVR - 0
TK - 0

Edm:
Giroux - 0
JVR - 0
TK - 0

Bos:
JVR - 0
TK - 0

NYR:
Giroux - 0
JVR - 0
TK - 0

Jets:
Giroux - 0
JVR - 1A
TK - 1G 1A

Montreal:
Giroux - 0
JVR - 1G

Bos:
JVR - 0
TK - 0

Wild:
Giroux - 1A
JVR - 1G
TK - 0

Giroux - 1A
JVR - 2G 1A
TK - 1G 2A

tenor.gif

I guess you missed the point entirely. It's a TEAM game. It doesn't matter what one guy or one line scores in a given game or string of games or was some obscure stats say. What matters is the total effect. They are winning. The other teams have a harder time checking our lines and we have a more balanced attack. The only stat that matters is the W.

January
MON 14 vs MINNESOTA W 7 - 4
WED 16 vs BOSTON W 4 - 3
SAT 19 at MONTREAL W 5 - 2
MON 28 vs WINNIPEG W 3 - 1
TUE 29 at NY RANGERS W 1 - 0
THU 31 at BOSTON W 3 – 2
February
SAT 2 vs EDMONTON W 5 - 4
MON 4 vs VANCOUVER W 2 - 1

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I was in favor of moving Giroux to Couturier’s wing last preseason, & I was in favor of trying him back at center this season.

But I’ve seen enough to want him back on Couturier’s wing. Not a knock on G, I just prefer him maximized.

I’d like Voracek to complete the trio, & ideally acquire a 2C to Center JVR & TK. Lindblom & Patrick on the 3rd where it’s easier to withstand their ebbs & flows.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Don’t let the current success blind you... Gordon is not an NHL caliber coach.

He communicates, he uses the youth, he seems like a nice guy, but his system (or lack thereof) is a huge problem and isn’t something that the other stuff is enough to make up for. If we want to compete, we need a real NHL-level coach.

The reason he seems as good as he does is because he’s following one of the worst coaches imaginable. But in the big picture Gordon is a problem too.

At the same time, if you are a proponent of a more adept NHL-caliber coach with a successful past then the Flyers need to have an attractive offering. The youth is appealing but the productivity needs to show. If someone such as Quenneville is the desired quest then winning now can be a boon. There will be other offers. The best available, whomever that may be, could very well look elsewhere if this season continued on the path to peril prior to the win streak.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
I was in favor of moving Giroux to Couturier’s wing last preseason, & I was in favor of trying him back at center this season.

But I’ve seen enough to want him back on Couturier’s wing. Not a knock on G, I just prefer him maximized.

I’d like Voracek to complete the trio, & ideally acquire a 2C to Center JVR & TK. Lindblom & Patrick on the 3rd where it’s easier to withstand their ebbs & flows.

Morgan Frost?

Reactions: macleish1974

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
My ideal scenario is you trade Ghost’s offense for a 2C, who plays between JVR & TK; G-Coots-Jak are line 1; Lindblom-Patrick-Frost are line 3; and line 4 is whomever wins it.

Myers steps in for Ghost. Hart is in net. Morin ideally can play 3rd pair.

Still need a #1 D. Maybe I’m coming over to the Karlsson dark side.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Why can't they just keep Ghost and continue to let Patrick develop into that number 2 role? Or are we assuming the 20 year old, former number 2 overall pick is not getting any better?

If Sanheim and Myers eventually make Ghost expendable, then so be it, but that day will be far after MacDonald and Hagg are gone as well.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Why can't they just keep Ghost and continue to let Patrick develop into that number 2 role? Or are we assuming the 20 year old, former number 2 overall pick is not getting any better?

If Sanheim and Myers eventually make Ghost expendable, then so be it, but that day will be far after MacDonald and Hagg are gone as well.
Cost-benefit analysis. I think they might be able to cash in on Ghost because of last year & his contract. But if they can’t get a 2C or first pair D, forget it. Totally depends on return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad