1st Round Selections and Careers in OHL

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
With just a little under a month till the OHL draft is upon us I thought this would be a great time to start a discussion on 1st rounders and careers in the OHL.

As fans we all know that the OHL is a cyclical league and that turnover of talent is huge from year to year. In looking back over the Owen Sound Attack's draft selections over the years I've concluded this assuming that last 4 1st round selections in OS will finish their careers in OS (no guarantees) the Attack will have had around 54% of their 1st round selections start and finish their careers wearing the bear over the 20+ seasons the Attack name has been used in Owen Sound.

It would be interesting to see across the other teams if this number of 1st rounders is consistent with the league's cyclical nature or if teams 1st round selections percentage is far different from team to team?

Asking the fans across all the league has anyone else ever looked back at their teams 1st round success percentage % and see where they sit. Keeping in mind that the player has to start and finish their OHL careers in their drafted teams city.

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
With just a little under a month till the OHL draft is upon us I thought this would be a great time to start a discussion on 1st rounders and careers in the OHL.

As fans we all know that the OHL is a cyclical league and that turnover of talent is huge from year to year. In looking back over the Owen Sound Attack's draft selections over the years I've concluded this assuming that last 4 1st round selections in OS will finish their careers in OS (no guarantees) the Attack will have had around 54% of their 1st round selections start and finish their careers wearing the bear over the 20+ seasons the Attack name has been used in Owen Sound.

It would be interesting to see across the other teams if this number of 1st rounders is consistent with the league's cyclical nature or if teams 1st round selections percentage is far different from team to team?

Asking the fans across all the league has anyone else ever looked back at their teams 1st round success percentage % and see where they sit. Keeping in mind that the player has to start and finish their OHL careers in their drafted teams city.
Are you just saying for this exercise or in general you don't consider it a success if a team trades their first rounder?

My example would be the Gens took Michael Dal Colle in the 1st round, he won them a memorial cup as the leading scorer, then they traded him to KGN in his final year. That was definitely a success.

Another one would be HAM drafting Connor McMichael and trading him for Robert Thomas in his rookie year because they were going all in. Thomas was the best player on that team that won the OHL title. Also a success.

Reactions: sbpointer

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Are you just saying for this exercise or in general you don't consider it a success if a team trades their first rounder?

My example would be the Gens took Michael Dal Colle in the 1st round, he won them a memorial cup as the leading scorer, then they traded him to KGN in his final year. That was definitely a success.

Another one would be HAM drafting Connor McMichael and trading him for Robert Thomas in his rookie year because they were going all in. Thomas was the best player on that team that won the OHL title. Also a success.

For this exercise for sure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad