1st round prospect grade (2011)

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
But you're basing your entire opinon on his point totals, which is in fact EXTREMELY foolish.

Again, you tell me why he went 8th overall even though he had the best PPG in the league? I don't think you realized that he played 30+ minutes per night and was literally the only elite option on his team. Easy to rack up points in the Q when you are 6'4" and playing 30+ minutes a night.

I literally don't know how anyone could say that his rating should be the same as RNH's.

im not basing my entire opinion on point totals, you are assuming im basing my opinion on point totals. the PPG argument was merely a single bullet point. what about the fact that he was chosen, over huberdeau, for the michel briere trophy? what about the fact that he was chosen over RNH and co. for the final roster spot for the WJC team? i have my reasons for thinking so, and i really don't understand how you could claim that to be extremely foolish. I happen follow junior hockey avidly, and no, it is actually not very easy to dominate the Q when you're 6'4'' when illness hinders you from adding any weight to your already lanky frame.

by MY ASSESSMENT of their play in coherence with MY OPINION, i think couturier will turn out to be the best player from the draft. that's all i am claiming. im not saying that by all accounts, he should have been the 1st overall pick. i think his play was under a lot more scrutiny than anyone else in the top 10, due to him being the consensus #1 pick for a long time, but that doesn't make my claims any more than just my opinion.

you don't know how anyone can claim couturier's ranking to be as high as RNH's? why? go ahead and give me your reasons why im wrong, besides that the scouts and the draft told you so.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
why do you think huberdeau has the better upside compared to rnh?

He plays bigger, as better hands around the net, and a better shot. Both have excellent vision and puckhandling, but I think if Huberdeau is developed well he can become the best offensive forward from this draft. He also has a high potential to become less than a top forward because of his first few steps. We'll have to wait and see who becomes better, my bet is RNH.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
He plays bigger, as better hands around the net, and a better shot. Both have excellent vision and puckhandling, but I think if Huberdeau is developed well he can become the best offensive forward from this draft. He also has a high potential to become less than a top forward because of his first few steps. We'll have to wait and see who becomes better, my bet is RNH.

i agree that Huberdeau is probably more offensively gifted, but for some reason, i just can't see his game translating to the NHL as well as RNH's. I think Huberdeau could be a stud, but there's just as much chance that he becomes a bust IMO. Guess we will have to wait and see.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
i agree that Huberdeau is probably more offensively gifted, but for some reason, i just can't see his game translating to the NHL as well as RNH's. I think Huberdeau could be a stud, but there's just as much chance that he becomes a bust IMO. Guess we will have to wait and see.

I agree with a lot of that, he's got that high bust potential, but he also oozes the offensive talent. Thats why I gave him a 9.0D

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
Couturier is going to be the best player from this draft, and it has NOTHING to do with me being a Flyers fan.
I've been saying that since last year, so you could imagine my jubilance when i heard Homer call his name.

I don't understand why Landeskog is getting 7.5 B ratings. He probably wouldn't have been pegged a top 3 draft prospect if that was his upside...

I don't like this underrating of Landeskog on this thread

:banana::pickle::devdance::m-dance:

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland
well you sure told me.

is that ignorance? or do numbers just mean im a flyers fan?

what's laughable is that you obviously don't follow junior hockey too well.

Yes, he did tell you. Yes, you are a homer. And just because he doesn't agree with you doesn't mean he doesn't follow junior hockey. 7 teams passed on him for a reason.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
As a Wild fan, and having watched these guys in the prospects scrimmgaes, my two cents:

Brodin - 7.5B: very smooth skate, composed, patient, good puck skills, great at reading the play, obviously needs to get bigger and see how he makes the jump to the NHL. #2/3 puck moving defenseman with offensive upside (i.e. poor man's Lidstrom).

Phillips - 7.0C: he impressed nearly everyone with his hands, puck skills, and goal scoring instincts. Went to the net, wicked shot, not afraid of traffic. His knock is skating, and he's a little slow and awkward. Between needing to improve the skating as well as seeing how he faces better competition. Top six offensive winger potential.

Lucia - 7.0D: seems like a harsh grade, but he's got a LONG ways to go and a lot to prove. He's got all the skills and tools and was a great player in high school, but he's still a year away from college. He didn't stand out but was quite young. His stock will likely improve next year as he grows into his lanky frame but for now, he's a bit of a long shot. Top six scoring winger potential.

Seeler - 6.5D: again a bit of a harsh grade, but he's a young high schooler. Did a decent job against bigger, stronger, and older competition and showed some flair offensively, good skating, but will need a few years of college/AHL development. #5/6 defenseman with the upside of a second pairing role.

Michalek - 6.5D: I'm not a goalie scout by any means but he looked very good in the scrimmages in all aspects, especially against the better competition. Of course, all goalies look similar to me. But IMO a high school goalie has a tougher hill to climb than one who has CHL experience.

Last edited:

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Yes, he did tell you. Yes, you are a homer. And just because he doesn't agree with you doesn't mean he doesn't follow junior hockey. 7 teams passed on him for a reason.

hypocrisy much?

opinions go both ways, and maybe you should read my follow up posts before you start making generalizations.

yes, i may be a homer in most aspects, chances are you are too, your unbiased majesty.

but that doesn't change the face that in october-may i was claiming that i thought Couturier would be the best player from the draft.

squidz*

Brodin - 7.5B: very smooth skate, composed, patient, good puck skills, great at reading the play, obviously needs to get bigger and see how he makes the jump to the NHL. #2/3 puck moving defenseman with offensive upside (i.e. poor man's Lidstrom).

I have to give Brodin a higher rating (though with a lesser probability) because he has potential to be a true #1 D-man. A 7.5B puts his upside as a good #3, bad #2 when it seems more realistic that a good #4 is the worst he could pan out as. I'd give him an 8.5C (which is just a hair higher, 6.80 instead of 6.75).

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
hypocrisy much?

opinions go both ways, and maybe you should read my follow up posts before you start making generalizations.

yes, i may be a homer in most aspects, chances are you are too, your unbiased majesty.

but that doesn't change the face that in october-may i was claiming that i thought Couturier would be the best player from the draft.

Again, everyone was saying that, hence the reason he was ranked 1st overall. How is this so hard to comprehend?

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Im just gunna do my top ten. Everyone else I think will be a mixture of 7.5C and 7.0C, with the odd D or B making it in. Usually how it works.

1) RNH 9.0C - Every class has a 9.0, and this year its the Nuge. He has higher offensive potential than anyone else in this class.
NHL Comparison: Joe Sakic.
Point Ceiling: 80-90pts

2) Landeskog 8.0A - I havent seen someone be classified as a sure fire star (8.0A) since Weber and Parise. Landeskog has all the tools and mental make up to a star power forward in the league, and barring any injury, he will be.
NHL comparison: Jarome Iginla
Point Ceiling: 60-70pts

3) Huberdeau 8.5D - Biggest potential for a bust in this class. Came out of nowhere this year, and benefitted from a strong supporting cast. There is no denying his talent, but can he put it together.
NHL comparison: Jeff Carter
Point Ceiling: 70-80pts

4) Larsson 8.5C - I find him not to be over rated, but not properly rated. He seems to me like a defencemen who will do everything well, but nothing great. Not nearly as good offensively as some may think.
NHL comparison: Victor Hedmen
Point Ceiling: 40-50pts

5) Strome 8.0B - Watch the video from him in Islanders rookie camp and you'll get an idea of what Ryan can do.
NHL comparison: Patrick Kane

6) Zibanejad 8.0C - Will be a very good power forward that intimidates other teams and racks up a few points.
NHL comparison: David Backes
Point Ceiling: 55-65pts

7) Schiefele 7.5C - Jets went a bit off the board with this one. Couturier would have been a better choice IMO, but Mark could always prove me wrong.
NHL comparison: Mike Ribeiro
Point Ceiling: 50-60pts

8) Couturier 8.5B - He wont get this rating, but he deserves it. I think he will be looked at much like Fowler, How did he drop that far. No one in the draft is as complete a package as Couturier.
NHL comparison: Eric Staal

9) Hamilton 8.5C - Thought New Jersey should have taken him over Larsson. Best defencemen in the draft class in my eyes. Kid does it all.
NHL comparison: Shea Weber
Point Ceiling: 40-50pts

12) Murphy 8.5D - Kid is stricktly offense, but no one in junior, except for Ellis, did it better than him last year. If he develops a respectable defensive game, he will get minutes, and produce points.
NHL comparison: Mike Green
Point Ceiling: 60-70pts

My ranking:

RNH
Couturier
Landeskog
Hamilton
Strome
Murphy
Huberdeau
Larsson
Zibanejad
Scheifele

Karlssonlee

Jan 13, 2009
RNH - 8.5 C
- Will have great opportunity to play with some elite young talent. Great puck possession abilities and great vision

Landeskog - 8.0 B
- Will also have an opportunity to play with some elite young talent. Great character and love his attitude

Huberdeau - 8.0 C
- Good kid, plays with passion, reminds me of Derek Roy because of his feisty-ness

Larsson - 9.0 C
- Greatest potential in the draft IMO. He can do it all.

Strome - 8.5 C
- Will be lethal on the powerplay and rack up a lot of points.

Zibanejad - 7.5 B
- Good two-way player. Reminds me of Patrice Bergeron

Scheifele - 7.5 C
* haven't had a fair assessment of him, just going on what i've read

Couturier - 7.5 B
- not at all impressed with his compete level or character. Not surprised to see him drop. Reminds me of a lazier Chris Gratton

Hamilton - 8.0 B
- Great character kid. Immense potential, he can do it all. Offensive skill could improve some more though.

Brodin - 7.5 B
- mobile, agile, smart

Siemens - 7.0 B
- I'll be criticize for this but I don't think his offense will translate. He reminds me of Robyn Regehr

Murphy - 8.0 D
- Could be the next Erik Karlsson.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
This thread is hella funny with all the Jersey fans labeling Larsson as 9.0.

9.0C - He has the potential to become a perennial all star but could also end up being as low as a 2nd pairing guy.

9 - Elite forward / defenseman / goaltender -- possesses the potential for greatness, a perennial All-Star throughout his career. Think Joe Sakic, Jeremy Roenick, Niklas Lidstrom, Rob Blake, Dominik Hasek, Martin Brodeur.

C - May reach potential, could drop 2 ratings - has shown some flashes, but may ultimately not have what it takes to reach his potential. The potential rating is multiplied by 80 percent for depth chart purposes to show the uncertainty of a player reaching his potential.

Just curious, how would you rate him?

mcphllp

Dion @ 6.5=Discount
Dec 27, 2008
I think 'B' is used way too liberally here.

Most prospects are rated 'C'.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
A lot of people are stubborn and think guys like Couturier have more upside, because they were previously more hyped.

I'd put Landeskog at 8.0B

if any player in this draft had a "8.0B" rating he would have went first overall.

He is either a 8.0C or a 7.5B imo.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think 'B' is used way too liberally here.

Most prospects are rated 'C'.

yup. This is definitly true as 'B' pretty much means the player is going to hit is estimated potential which is hard to say for most recently draft player

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Again, everyone was saying that, hence the reason he was ranked 1st overall. How is this so hard to comprehend?

no, everyone was not saying couturier was the best player from the draft up until the draft, because he would have gone 1st overall in that case.how is having an opinion so hard to comprehend? Did i ever claim my opinion to be more valid than yours? No. I stated my opinion, and asked you to state the reasons for yours. All i did was defend it against you calling me "extremely foolish" for one reason or another. Did you even read my other posts? You're just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->