1st round - one trade

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
1. :edmonton - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
- Larsson is a close second, but the fact remains that he's still second, and you can only call one name when it's your turn to pick. This is a good fit and plugs a major hole that's not easy to fill.

2. :avs - Adam Larsson
- This pick could very well be Landeskog, but I think there's a clear drop in quality from 2 to 3, and as much as Landeskog is the type of player everyone loves to have (and fits a need in Colorado), there's just too much upside with Larsson (who also fills a need). You go with BPA, and to me that's Larsson.

3. :panthers - Jonathan Huberdeau
- I've been going back and forth between Landeskog and Huberdeau on this one, and as soon as I put one name down, I convince myself it's going to be the other. Heck, despite having Kulikov and Gudbranson in the system, I could see them taking Larsson if he drops to 3. They're going to take the guy they feel is going to be the best player despite organizational need, and at this point I'm guessing Huberdeau is that guy for the Panthers.

4. :devils1 - Gabriel Landeskog
- They've got wingers all over the place in Kovalchuk, Parise, Tedenby, and Elias, so this pick is not one that was made to fill a need, but they simply can't ignore the total package and make the selection despite not thinking he would be there.

**New York trades the #5 pick to Winnipeg for the #7 selection, a 3rd round pick, and a 4th in 2012**

5. :thrashers - Sean Couturier
- The Winnipeg ______ would love to add a complete forward like Couturier, and jump past the Senators to make sure they get him.

6. :sens - Mika Zabanejad
- Normally, I wouldn't let other lists dictate what I do, but there seems to be a lot of people suggesting the Senators really like this player.

7. :isles - Dougie Hamilton
The Islanders typically identify a player they like and move around the draft board to make sure they get him. Confient the Senators won't take him, the Islanders move down to 7 and still get their guy.

8. :cbj - Ryan Strome
- Another pick that could be moved, but I think at the end of the day, the Jackets will make the pick and take the top player on the board. Yes, the Bluejackets need a puck moving defenseman and powerplay quarterback, but Ryan Murphy isn't going to fill that role for 5 years (if at all). They also have John Moore who's farther along and has given them no reason to think he can't be that guy down the road.

9. :bruins - Ryan Murphy
- If there's one thing the Bruins seem to put a lot of stock in at the draft, it's production, and that's one thing Ryan Murphy brings in spades. Bruins fans like their players to have size and be willing to use it, so this pick might not be the most popular, but I think there's enough to like in Murphy's game that Boston could end up taking him.

10. :wild - Joel Armia
- Every time I get this far in a mock draft, I try to think of someone other than Armia to go here, but I keep coming back to him anyway. He's my "best of the rest" after the top 9, and Minny definitely could use some scoring punch. The fact that he's Finnish is meaningless IMO.

11. :avs - Sven Bartschi
- I almost had him going in the last 3 spots, but ultimately decided on other players. Colorado won't necessarily go forward here just because they went D at #2, but Bartschi has all of the things the Avalanche hold in high regard.

12. :canes - Nathan Beaulieu
- I really don't think the Hurricanes will take a defenseman in the 1st round, but the value here is just too great. In fact, I think a few defensemen will go in this area.

13. :flames - Duncan Siemens
- Another team who was burned by a 1st round defenseman that I don't see going D in the 1st (yet still have them taking one). I think they like their chances of getting him signed. This pick hurts me personally as Siemens is one of my favorite players in this draft and the last team I'd like to see him go to is the Flames. Calgary fans probably aren't thrilled either, as I suspect they'll want to see a forward here.

14. :stars - Mark Scheifele
- Scheifele is a bit of a project, but he's also one that could end up paying huge dividends down the road. Some may have him a lot lower on their draft boards, but that has never stopped Dallas before.

15. :rangers - Matt Puempel
- Maybe a little off the board, but it's hard to go wrong with a gifted goal scorer like Puempel.

16. :sabres - Mark McNeill
- Buffalo continues their trend of going with size at the draft taking the big forward from Prince Albert. He's got the size, skill, and work ethic that every team covets.

17. :habs - Jamie Oleksiak
- Once again, Montreal goes to the USHL on draft day. Even though they took Tinordi last year, they go with another monster defenseman early.

18. :hawks - Brandon Saad
- This kid is a handfull for opposing teams to play against, and something I could see Chicago placing a lot of value in.

19. :edmonton - Oscar Klefbom
- Size and raw talent on the back end that Edmonton will surely want to add to their stable of prospects.

20. :coyotes - Nicklas Jensen
- If there's one thing I can say about Phoenix is that I never know what the hell they're going to do on draft day. Jensen is a player I like a lot, and think the Coyotes will go with the value here.

21. :sens - Zach Phillips
- After getting their Swede fix at the top of the 1st round, Ottawa goes with the Memorial Cup Champion in Phillips from their own back yard (ish).

22. :ducks2 - Scott Mayfield
- Anaheim goes defense for the 2nd time in a row and 3rd in 4 years with the smooth skating Mayfield. Fowler, Gardiner, Mikkelson. The Ducks like defensemen who move, and Mayfield fits the bill while adding size to the equasion.

23. :pens - Alexander Khokhlachev
- I know, I know. It's the Caps that are supposed to take the Russian, not the Penguins. Unfortunately, Khokhlachev has just too much skill to drop any further (I don't think he'll make it this far even).

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
24. :wings - Jonas Brodin
- Detroit takes a smart, all around defenseman who they can take their time developing and ultimately have 23 other GMs saying "how come we didn't take that guy" 5-6 years from now.

25. :leafs - Ty Rattie
- I originally gave this pick back to the Flyers for some unknown reason, I guess I should fix that. The Maple Leafs take the undersized offensive winger.

26. :caps - JT Miller
- Not really much to say here. Miller had a great U-18 tournament and could be a terrific late round pick for them down the road.

27. :bolts - Joe Morrow
- Last year, Yzerman's Lightning took the forward when everyone thought they'd jump at the chance at Fowler or Gormley who were still on the board. I think they take that Dman this year who will likely go much higher than this on draft day.

28. :sharks - David Musil
- San Jose finds themselves in the position to take the big defenseman from Vancouver.

29. :nucks

30 :leafs

Last edited:

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
You really believe Ryan Murphy is 5 years away from having an impact in the NHL?

As for the Flames selection, I wouldn't be unhappy with Siemens but with who remains on the board I see them taking McNeill as he should have an impact at an NHL level in a year or two.

Really solid list, good job.

Foxlockbox

:laugh: is my period
Mar 22, 2011
Finland
13. :flames - Duncan Siemens
- Another team who was burned by a 1st round defenseman that I don't see going D in the 1st (yet still have them taking one). I think they like their chances of getting him signed. This pick hurts me personally as Siemens is one of my favorite players in this draft and the last team I'd like to see him go to is the Flames. Calgary fans probably aren't thrilled either, as I suspect they'll want to see a forward here.

Haha you made me smirk here, probably the most undefined draft despriction ever. "I'm not happy with is cos I'd hate him to go there, Flames fans aren't prolly happy either and I see Flames maybe wanting a forward, but I dunno they may just pick this guy."

No hard feelings though ;)

bauerpower

Jul 30, 2005
Southern Alberta
The Isles would want more than a 3rd and a 4th to move down. A second rounder is more like it. They would only do this if their ultimate goal was to trade back into the first round which is something they like to do.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
You really believe Ryan Murphy is 5 years away from having an impact in the NHL?

As for the Flames selection, I wouldn't be unhappy with Siemens but with who remains on the board I see them taking McNeill as he should have an impact at an NHL level in a year or two.

Really solid list, good job.

Why not? Many people compare him to Ryan Ellis who was drafted in 09. He spent two more years in junior, will probably spend at least one year in the AHL, and then he'll be an NHL rookie. That's 3 or 4 years before he even makes it to the NHL as a rookie. From there it takes time before they can be counted on to contribute in a more meaningful way. Doughtys and Hedmans don't come around very often. Most defensemen take a lot more time to make it and actually be able to handle a little responsibility, and I don't think Murphy is a Doughty/Hedman type of prospect.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Yeah I'd say the most obvious mistake is that the Flyer's pick at 25 belongs to Toronto.

Still some interesting choices like Winnipeg trading up to 5 to go after Couturier.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I think Calgary would be happy with any of the next 3 picks if you really don't like us taking Seimens haha

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The Sharks took a solid defenseman three years ago in the late first round, and that did not work out so well... They really need a forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad