1st Round Of The Draft, Televized In the States This Year???

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
The logic is simple.... ratings are higher in the evenings than on a Saturday morning. Any regular US sports fan might flip through it at night, decide it's somewhat more entertaining than a boring baseball game between KC and Tampa Bay, and get hooked on hockey (at least that's the hope). Guaranteed the casual sports fan won't be doing that on a Saturday morning.

Ratings and exposure my friends.... every tiny bit helps!!!!

actually, KC is at millwaukee and the dodgers are in tampa that evening.

Reuben

Feb 11, 2007
Victoria B.C.
Yep. Not to mention it starts at 4:00 on the Westcoast. So anybody in the west that has a job will miss at least the first few picks.

It's just another poor decision by a league that seems to specialize in them.

these are the things that happen when you have a lawyer instead of a hockey man in the position of commisioner.

Fortius

May 23, 2007
why are they so big on putting games on saturday morning if your logic holds true? seems like a contradiction to me. I guess we'll wait and see, but i wouldn't be surprised if the rating are less than in previous years.

Actually isnt the NFL considering doing something similar, moving its 1st round into Prime-Time on the Friday night? Sure that was being rumoured just after they had their draft.

I think everyone here can agree that the NFL is by far the leaders in sports marketing. Davemess is right, the NFL is moving their 1st round to prime-time Friday night, shortening the time between selections. And why? Because they see the potential to get more people watching.... nothing is done in the NFL without having a positive marketing spin on it, and they are the masters.

As far as the morning goes, don't most games start at 1:00 pm ET? Not really the morning unless you live out west like I do. But even still, will the NHL get more exposure by having it broadcast Friday evening, when sports pubs may have it turned on, or early Saturday when a few lucky men can sit down and watch it without being interrupted by kids, wife, etc? The NHL got it right this time.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Damn, I forgot that the Oilers had no 1st last year, so even iof it was on I didn't give a damn!!! Glad to hear that VS will carry it, whether the Oilers hold onto all 3-1sts or make deals, IMO draft day will be a big day for Oilers fans.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
For everyone elses' sakes, I hope that the draft is on tv. I'll be AT the draft. We should really be putting on a great show for the league.

Hmm, maybe I'll be in trash-throwing distance of Bettman? :sarcasm:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yep. Not to mention it starts at 4:00 on the Westcoast. So anybody in the west that has a job will miss at least the first few picks.

It's just another poor decision by a league that seems to specialize in them.

That actually works quite well for me. I work from 5am to 1pm, and my girlfriend works from 2pm to 6pm. I'll be home, she'll be at work, and I don't have to listen to here complain about my watching the draft.

Bégin is the bestest*

i hope the 1st round wil be on RDS this year, last year it was only on RIS cuz they was showing an Alouettes game on RDS. :(

JustJoe2k5

Jun 5, 2006
i think i , from detroit , watched trade deadline day on tsn.ca on my computer .

I think some of their online content is exclusive to Canada. I tried to watch one of Canada's World Championship games and the website said you need a Canadian IP address to view the webcast. TSN's trade deadline coverage was open to everyone though. I would have to believe that if the trade deadline warrants availability to everyone, the draft would as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->