1st Round Goalies and Dinosaurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
So, the UFA age will be 27 or 7 years of service. If you pick a forward or D-man in the 1st round... You could leave them in juniors for two years and reasonably expect them to contribute greatly to the team from 20-27 years old.
But a goalie?
Well, two years in juniors. A year or two in the minors. A year or two as a back up. A year or two as an average starter. And then Stardom... on someone elses team.

Anybody else think those 2 or 3 goalies in the TSN top 30 are going to drop like rocks?

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
yep...

trentmccleary said:
So, the UFA age will be 27 or 7 years of service. If you pick a forward or D-man in the 1st round... You could leave them in juniors for two years and reasonably expect them to contribute greatly to the team from 20-27 years old.
But a goalie?
Well, two years in juniors. A year or two in the minors. A year or two as a back up. A year or two as an average starter. And then Stardom... on someone elses team.

Anybody else think those 2 or 3 goalies in the TSN top 30 are going to drop like rocks?

I was thinking the exact same thing. Aside from a stud like Luongo, Lehtonen, I don't think you're going to see anymore teams draft a goalie in the top 5 anymore.

Given the glut of young goalies selected in the past 5 years, there will be plenty of quality goalies around when the UFA age drops to 27.

Like you said, stay in Junior until 20, then 1 or 2 years in the AHL. Then 1 or 2 years to learn the ropes, and that takes most guys to around 24 before they become a good goalie.

For the 2005 draft, I could very well see Price dropping into the teens and Rask and Vincent not being 1st rounders anymore. You'll probably see fewer 1st round goalies in the future because the majority of 1st round skaters can play and make a good contribution to your team by age 21. Too much pressure to ask a 21 year old to anchor the team in net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad