1st round accuracy for THN, RLR, ISS, and me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Here is how each of the three draft guides and my rankings did when you compare where each 1st round pick was taken and where they were ranked by each group.

THN - 5 picks on the money - 9.167 average delta
RLR - 3 picks on the money - 15.3 average delta
ISS - 2 picks on the money - 8.73 average delta
Me - 4 picks on the money - 9.367 average delta

Biggest average deltas:

Chucko - 60
Wheeler - 45.25
Fistric - 34.25
Rogers - 24.25
Zajac - 17

Smallest average deltas:

Ovechkin - 0
Malkin - 0
Barker - 0.75
Olesz - 1.5
Schultz - 2.25

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Moskau said:
If THN are all fools what does that make Woodlief?

Obviously you don't understand what their rankings are for. They explicity say they do not try and predict the draft. In fact any inside information on teams liking certain players is never taken into consideration. Their rankings are purely based on how they would have selected the players if they were a team in the draft.

ISS, Redline and McKeens do not try and predict the draft. That's what THN and TSN.ca do. Surprised you didn't realize that.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Obviously you don't understand what their rankings are for. They explicity say they do not try and predict the draft. In fact any inside information on teams liking certain players is never taken into consideration. Their rankings are purely based on how they would have selected the players if they were a team in the draft.

ISS, Redline and McKeens do not try and predict the draft. That's what THN and TSN.ca do. Surprised you didn't realize that.

You obviously don't see me joking about Woodlief. He's the one who seems to make it a competition.

db23

Moskau said:
You obviously don't see me joking about Woodlief. He's the one who seems to make it a competition.

Now we know the reason that Woodlief only lasted 1 year as a PART TIME NHL scout.

Old Hickory

It would be interesting to look at those lists 5 years after a draft and see who did the best job

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Flames Draft Watcher said:

Is that really what THN are doing? I am not under that impression at all. They do use the opinion of several scouts but I am never under the impression they try to "mock" the draft.

TSN does both a mock draft and I think they also have rankings sometimes. Or maybe I don't remember well, very possible.

But the point is, you are right that Woodlief (and you know I have the lowest opinion possible of that clown) should absolutely NOT be judged by draft results. At all. It's just dumb to do so.

The quality of these publications will be based on how accurate their assessment of the players will be. It's weird how we constantly have to remind people of that.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Jim Bob said:
Here is how each of the three draft guides and my rankings did when you compare where each 1st round pick was taken and where they were ranked by each group.

THN - 5 picks on the money - 9.167 average delta
RLR - 3 picks on the money - 15.3 average delta
ISS - 2 picks on the money - 8.73 average delta
Me - 4 picks on the money - 9.367 average delta

Biggest average deltas:

Chucko - 60
Wheeler - 45.25
Fistric - 34.25
Rogers - 24.25
Zajac - 17

Smallest average deltas:

Ovechkin - 0
Malkin - 0
Barker - 0.75
Olesz - 1.5
Schultz - 2.25

Good job Jim Bob. Can I get a copy of your next years rankings? :D

Soyuz

Dec 8, 2003
Visit site
How about RussianProspects ;) - their projections were pretty accurate for most guys....and if the stupid NHL / IIHF agreement did not expire, I bet you most of the top 25 guys would have gotten drafted. They may not have been completely accurate, but they called Vorobiev's, Ogorodnikov's and Alexandrov's drops despite a lot of people slating Vorobiev being a second rounder and Ogordnikov being a second, or even a high first round. Alexandrov was another guy that they had ranked in mid second round, and even though he fell even further, they still had him lower than some other sources. How about that Semenov kid - someone saw that one coming right? ;) :handclap:

Megalinsky was a total shocker - I don't get it why no one took that kid...well I am just pissed about only 18 russians being picked...last year it was 34, the year before that it was 32.......

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Is that really what THN are doing? I am not under that impression at all. They do use the opinion of several scouts but I am never under the impression they try to "mock" the draft.

Yeah technically I guess you're right. They aren't doing a "mock draft" so much as they are trying to get a "consensus" list based on the scouts and GM's they talk to. But that's a heck of a lot closer to what a "mock draft" is about than what ISS, Redline, McKeen's, etc are trying to do.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
NHL VS HF STAFF

1. WASHINGTON -- ALEXANDER OVECHKIN, LW, DYNAMO MOSCOW
Alexander Ovechkin
2. PITTSBURGH -- EVGENI MALKIN, C, MAGNITOGORSK
Evgeni Malkin
3. CHICAGO -- CAM BARKER, D, MEDICINE HAT
Rostislav Olesz
4. CAROLINA (FROM COLUMBUS) -- ANDREW LADD, LW, CALGARY
Cam Barker
5. PHOENIX -- BLAKE WHEELER, RW, BRECK HS
Andrew Ladd
6. NY RANGERS -- AL MONTOYA, G, MICHIGAN
AJ Thelen
7. FLORIDA -- ROSTISLAV OLESZ, C, HC VITKOVICE
Rob Schremp
8. COLUMBUS (FROM CAROLINA) -- ALEXANDRE PICARD, LW, LEWISTON
Lauri Tukonen
9. ANAHEIM -- LADISLAV SMID, D, LIBEREC
Andrej Meszaros
10. ATLANTA -- BORIS VALABIK, D, KITCHENER
Wojtech Wolski
11. LOS ANGELES -- LAURI TUKONEN, RW, ESPOO
Marek Schwarz
12. MINNESOTA -- A.J. THELEN, D, MICHIGAN STATE
Drew Stafford
13. BUFFALO -- DREW STAFFORD, RW, NORTH DAKOTA
Boris Valabik
14. EDMONTON -- DEVAN DUBNYK, G, KAMLOOPS
Alexander Picard
15. NASHVILLE -- ALEXANDER RADULOV, RW, TVER
Bruce Graham
16. NY ISLANDERS -- PETTERI NOKELAINEN, C, SAIPA
Kyle Chipchura
17. ST. LOUIS -- MAREK SCHWARZ, G, SPARTA PRAGUE
Alexander Radulov
18. MONTREAL -- KYLE CHIPCHURA, C, PRINCE ALBERT
Johan Fransson
19. NY RANGERS (FROM CALGARY) -- LAURI KORPIKOSKI, LW, TPS TURKU
Enver Lisin
20. NEW JERSEY (FROM DALLAS) -- TRAVIS ZAJAC, C, SALMON ARM
Ladislav Smid
21. COLORADO -- WOJTEK WOLSKI, LW, BRAMPTON
Al Montoya
22. SAN JOSE (FROM DAL/NJ) -- LUKAS KASPAR, RW, LITVINOV
Mike Green
23. OTTAWA -- ANDREJ MESZAROS, D, TRENCIN
Dave Bollan
24. CALGARY (FROM NYR/TOR) -- KRIS CHUCKO, LW, SALMON ARM
Petteri Nokelainen
25. EDMONTON (FROM PHILADELPHIA) -- ROBBIE SCHREMP, C, LONDON
Lauri Korpikoski
26. VANCOUVER -- CORY SCHNEIDER, G, ANDOVER
Travis Zajac
27. WASHINGTON (FROM BOSTON) -- JEFF SCHULTZ, D, CALGARY
Wes O’Neill
28. DALLAS (FROM SAN JOSE) -- MARK FISTRIC, D, VANCOUVER
Victor Alexandrov
29. WASHINGTON -- MIKE GREEN, D, SASKATOON
Oscar Hedman
30. TAMPA BAY -- ANDY ROGERS, D, CALGARY
Devan Dubnyk

At HF, the picks that killed....Wes O'Neill, Oscar Hedman, Victor Alexandrov, and Bruce Graham. The delta for HF Staff is 16.17, but without those 4 picks comes in at a very respectable 10.85.

Of the 30 players selected in the first round , HF had 25 of them. I don't know what the others had.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Well, at least we haven't seen anybody slamming Woodlief for not having Schremp in his top 10.

I think Redline deserves at least a little credit, as they were really the first to go on record of dropping Schremp so low, even after the CHL allstar game, and everyone on this board slammed Woodlief relentlessly for not having the audacity to not have Schremp in his "rightful position" within the top 5.

Fast forward 6 months or so, and we haven't seen too many of those posts of late given well over 20 NHL teams passed on Schremp come draft day. In fact, Woodlief would have taken Schremp ahead of many of those players taken in the top 20 based on Redline's rankings. It seems Redline over-rated Schremp if anything...

And it will be fun to look back at these draft guides a few years down the road. I've asked McKeens if they can start archiving past years' Draft reports for such nostalgic purposes, but haven't heard whether they will or not. It seems like any easy way to add value to their subsciption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->