8. Jakub Voracek
9. Sergei Korostin
10. Alexei Cherepanov
11. Bill Sweatt
12. Nick Petrecki
13. Keaton Ellerby
14. Angelo Esposito
15. Mark Katic

HM: Dana Tyrell, Patrick White, Kevin Shattenkirk, Brandon Sutter, Keven Veilleux, Tyson Sexsmith

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I ONLY have a top 15 right now:

1. Karl Alzner
2. James vanRiemsdyk
3. Logan Couture
4. Kyle Turris
5. Pat Kane
6. Gagner
7. Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i
8. Jakub Voracek
9. Sergei Korostin
10. Alexei Cherepanov
11. Bill Sweatt
12. Nick Petrecki
13. Keaton Ellerby
14. Angelo Esposito
15. Mark Katic

HM: Dana Tyrell, Patrick White, Kevin Shattenkirk, Brandon Sutter, Keven Veilleux, Tyson Sexsmith

I know your probably one of the posters that beleive that esposito is overrated ...
but dont you think that his skating and determination alone should help him make the NHL and that a team will take him higher just for those factors...
just sayin'

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I know your probably one of the posters that beleive that esposito is overrated ...
but dont you think that his skating and determination alone should help him make the NHL and that a team will take him higher just for those factors...
just sayin'

Well, I wouldn't have him as a 1st round, top 15 pick if I didn't think his skills could "help him make the NHL". I think that being a top 15 pick is a tremendous thing. I just don't think Esposito is as good as the players ahead of him or will have as good an NHL career as they will.

Kramy

Jul 11, 2006
Québec
Esposito at 14!!?? Do you hate him that much!!?? :eek:

I can't believe he's not top 3 on everybody's list, IMO he's the best Quebecer prospect at draft time since Vincent Lecavalier, and he would also be the greatest prospect to come out from the Q since Lecavalier if it wasn't of Sidney Crosby. Patrice Bergeron doesn't count since it was a revelation few months after the draft.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
It's such a crapshoot... I can only put together a top 10.

1. Patrick Kane
2. Karl Alzner
3. Logan Couture
4. Jakub Voracek
5. Alex Cherepanov
6. Sam Ganger
7. James Van Reimsdyk
8. Kyle Turris
9. Angelo Espositio
10. Nick Petricki

Talent like Cuniti, Ellerby, and Korostin have a real shot at getting into the top ten aswell.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

I can't believe he's not top 3 on everybody's list, IMO he's the best Quebecer prospect at draft time since Vincent Lecavalier, and he would also be the greatest prospect to come out from the Q since Lecavalier if it wasn't of Sidney Crosby. Patrice Bergeron doesn't count since it was a revelation few months after the draft.

Esposito couldn't even make the Canadian WJC team this year.

He's a great junior player, but ALL he has is his offense. His defense is nowhere near up to par with the likes of Bergeron, Crosby, and Lecavalier. NOWHERE NEAR.

He's not a bad prospect, I just don't see enough of him to warrant taking him that high.

I'm sure some team probably does, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him selected anywhere from 1st to 15th depending where he's ranked on team's lists.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Ill put 10 together,

1.Alzner
2.Kane
3.Cherepeanov
4.Voracek
5.Esposito
6.Gagner
7.Couture
8.Van Riemsdyk
9.Turris
10.Katic

And my homer pick...............Bryan Cameron #29

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Esposito couldn't even make the Canadian WJC team this year.
He's a great junior player, but ALL he has is his offense. His defense is nowhere near up to par with the likes of Bergeron, Crosby, and Lecavalier. NOWHERE NEAR.

He's not a bad prospect, I just don't see enough of him to warrant taking him that high.

I'm sure some team probably does, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him selected anywhere from 1st to 15th depending where he's ranked on team's lists.

Only 1 draft eligible forward made the team, and plenty of players who go very highly in the draft dont make the canadian team (Staal last year for one). I dont see how not making the WJC team will be seen that negatively by NHL scouts.

I agree though he could go anywhere from 1-15 (1-10 IMO) depending on the team picking

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Only 1 draft eligible forward made the team, and plenty of players who go very highly in the draft dont make the canadian team (Staal last year for one). I dont see how not making the WJC team will be seen that negatively by NHL scouts.

I agree though he could go anywhere from 1-15 (1-10 IMO) depending on the team picking

By all accounts he was VERY mediocre to even bad at the camp, though. That WILL hut his stock.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
1) Kane
2) Couture
3) Alzner
4) Cherepanov
5) Voracek
6) Turris
7) Esposito
8) Gagner
9) Van Reimsdyk
10) Ellerby
11) :eek::eek::eek::eek:i
12) Sweatt
13) Hamill
14) Sutter
15) Mayorov
16) Blum
17) Aliu
18) O'Brien
19) Veilleux
20) Katic
21) Korostin
22) Petrecki
23) Backlund
24) Shattenkirk
25) Moller
26) Cross
27) Tyrell
28) Gillies
29) Hickey
30) Plante

Last edited:

Bam Beet*

Sounds like Billy Sweatt will be drafted somewhere where the Avs will pick most likely mid round. Seems like an obvious pick for them if he is still available.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
If the Flyers are picking they will likely select Cherepanov. They won't select a Center because they are loaded with young natural centers.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006

Why do you say if it wasn't for Crosby? Shouldn't he be No. 1 on your list?

Kramy

Jul 11, 2006
Québec
The Team Canada argument is insignificant to me; Claude Giroux couldn't make the cut as an 18 years old (turning 19) this year, did his stock fall for that reason? I don't think so. It's not like if cracking Team Canada's roster was a piece of cake, especially when there are already 6 returning forwards from an undefeated gold-medalled squad. Last year on HFBoards Carey Price was known as the worst pick of the 2005 draft because he couldn't make the team at 18; where are these claims now?

Lots of people seem to look at Esposito as an underachiever this year, like if he wasn't living up to expectations. IMO he still is the same player with the same upside; the kid is a constant threat in the offensive zone, has excellent skating and playmaking skills; he is showing flashes of an elite talent. Part of the problem is that the whole Quebec Remparts are struggling this year, it's been a very tough and disappointing season after a fantastic Memorial Cup quest, and I'm confident they will bounce back next year.

Would the HF community agree to say that Esposito has the best upside in this draft?

On a side note, if he does fall to #10 - 15 in june, I hope the Habs will move up to get him.

Why do you say if it wasn't for Crosby? Shouldn't he be No. 1 on your list?

Read again.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Why is Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i so high? not saying he isn't as I havn't seen him play I'm just curious because it seems he's going to be the highest drafted Swiss player yet and I'm curious what type of player he is.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If the Flyers are picking they will likely select Cherepanov. They won't select a Center because they are loaded with young natural centers.
The Flyers will select whoever they think is the best prospect in the draft. Lots of players make the transition seemlessly between center and wing and that's always an option if they draft yet another center in the first round. It could be Kane, Voracek, Couture, Cherepanov, Gagner, Turris, Esposito, JVR or even Alzner, but I will assure you they won't pass up a guy they think is the better player available because he plays center in junior hockey.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
1) Kane
2) Couture
3) Alzner
4) Cherepanov
5) Voracek
6) Turris
7) Esposito
8) Gagner
9) Van Reimsdyk
10) Ellerby
11) :eek::eek::eek::eek:i
12) Sweatt
13) Hamill
14) Sutter
15) Mayorov
16) Blum
17) Aliu
18) O'Brien
19) Veilleux
20) Katic
21) Korostin
22) Petrecki
23) Backlund
24) Shattenkirk
25) Moller
26) Cross
27) Tyrell
28) Gillies
29) Hickey
30) Plante
IMO thats the best list I've seen yet. I'll agree with JP on Espo but I think that he'll still see top 10. I like him more than Kessel but he'll have some of the same problems and like Kessel, he's not even close to a Crosby level.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Why is Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i so high? not saying he isn't as I havn't seen him play I'm just curious because it seems he's going to be the highest drafted Swiss player yet and I'm curious what type of player he is.

I haven't seen him play... but from what I've read, he seems to be a European version of Rod Brind'Amour. Great skater, good offensive touch, excellent in all three zones, and isn't afraid to mix it up with anyone. His stock is rising because he appears to be very NHL ready... I'm crossing my fingers that people pass on him because he's from a non-traditional hockey country a la Kopitar and my Habs nab him with their first rounder :yo: ...

Doubtful that will happen though :(

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada

The leafs took Luca Cereda 24th overall in '99, it was later found out he had a serious heart problem derailing his hockey career (although it wasnt progressing very well to that point), is he the highest ever drafted swiss player?

Also Sweatt is a guy that had been overlooked in previous lists, good to see people taking notice of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad