Value of: 1st overall pick (EDM-MTL)

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Sorry for assuming this already, but let's assume EDM wins the lottery again. They already have the McDavid-Draisaitl pair and need defense/goaltending to improve their chances. They're in win-now mode since they have superstars in the beginning of their primes. They might also want to trade quality for quantity to get good complimentary pieces rather than another superstar forward. Montreal isn't going anywhere soon (except perhaps this year? :O) and would do anything they can to get the Québécois superstar Alexis Lafrenière. Could a deal be done between them? What do both camps offer?

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I am not sure how this became a Panthers vs Oilers thread bitch fest but uhhh...stop it?
As for the thread on hand the Habs don't have any realistic pieces to get Laf it would take something like Suzuki and Romanov plus a 1st to even get them thinking which is a no go. All these threads about the 1st overall moving is a pipe dream I don't even remember when the last 1st overall was traded either(too lazy to google it) so meh whatever Habs need to live with being f***ed by these stupid play ins and stop dreaming Laf will some how be gifted to us by another team.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Sorry for assuming this already, but let's assume EDM wins the lottery again. They already have the McDavid-Draisaitl pair and need defense/goaltending to improve their chances. They're in win-now mode since they have superstars in the beginning of their primes. They might also want to trade quality for quantity to get good complimentary pieces rather than another superstar forward. Montreal isn't going anywhere soon (except perhaps this year? :O) and would do anything they can to get the Québécois superstar Alexis Lafrenière. Could a deal be done between them? What do both camps offer?
a montreal package, which has enough value and doesn't bust edmonton cap space? very tough task. i don't think it's feasible.
adding koskinen and neal for price as part of the deal :huh:
i still don't like it.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Montreal can’t put a package together for Laf (and sorry, they cannot reasonably do so without torching our cap) what makes you think they could put one together for McDavid?
Oh man, if Montreal could even entertain acquiring McDavid somehow (obviously this would only happen if he insisted he wants out). I would offer any 3 roster players you want (this includes Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Price with salary-retention, everyone) + any prospect you want (Caufield, Romanov, Primeau) + 1st 2020 + 1st 2021. I know it might not even be enough, but maybe to open the conversation (if McDavid really wanted out). Montreal's DYING to have a superstar on their team - and it does not get any better than him. Obviously completely gutting our team for 1 player won't do us any favors, but I'd do it for McDavid - y'all are super freaking lucky to have him AND Draisaitl on your team. Hoping you guys could turn things around and fast, your team is too talented to remain quiet post-season.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Nice start to a thread guys. Good job.

As for OP, i don't think it is feasible as Laf is probably exactly what edmonton needs for the next three years. Elite player with ELC. That being said. I will try something :

Domi + 16OA + Caufield + Romanov for Lafrenière + Nurse. I don't like it as a Habs fan and i don't think Oils fans like it either. That being said, as far as needs are concern, Laf and Nurse make sense for Habs and Romanov, Domi and Caufield make sense for Oils. The thing i don't like in this deal is Nurse's contract. But hey, We get our french superstar and get a top 4 lhd.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Not enough. I think you would need 1 more big piece.
Even more, I would say. I don't see Edmonton (or any team that wins today's lottery) entertain trading 1OA (Lafreniere) for anything short of a mega-overpay (one that would not be worth at all).

Reactions: Benstheman

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
So would Lafreniere would really cost something in the range of Gallagher, Romanov, 2020-1st?

Because I dont see him in the same range as MacKinnon, Matthews, McDavid... More like Hall

Hummm i have a hard time putting a realistical value on Gallagher. Don't even know if Edmonton can afford him considering is contract will be up in 1 year. But if he is more like Hall, i wouldn't trade Gallagher + Romanov + 2020-1st for him.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Nice start to a thread guys. Good job.

As for OP, i don't think it is feasible as Laf is probably exactly what edmonton needs for the next three years. Elite player with ELC. That being said. I will try something :

Domi + 16OA + Caufield + Romanov for Lafrenière + Nurse. I don't like it as a Habs fan and i don't think Oils fans like it either. That being said, as far as needs are concern, Laf and Nurse make sense for Habs and Romanov, Domi and Caufield make sense for Oils. The thing i don't like in this deal is Nurse's contract. But hey, We get our french superstar and get a top 4 lhd.

Drop Nurse and it's still no.

If they won the lotto it doesn't make sense to trade the pick for these types of lesser pieces.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So would Lafreniere would really cost something in the range of Gallagher, Romanov, 2020-1st?

Because I dont see him in the same range as MacKinnon, Matthews, McDavid... More like Hall

I wouldn't necessarily consider Gallagher a year to UFA as a big piece, nor would I necessarily consider another LHD as a piece we'd be after overly aggressively with what we have already and Broberg in the system.

It's really difficult to figure out a package that might make sense, but it might look something along the lines of 1st+Neal f0r Gallagher+2020 1st+Primeau+...I dunno, Caufield? Poehling and a couple 2nds?

The more I wrote the less I liked it to be honest. The whole thing falls apart if we don't have Gallagher in the fold long term. The only reason we'd deal it is for immediate, but sustained, improvement and some cap relief.

Reactions: Benstheman

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I wouldn't necessarily consider Gallagher a year to UFA as a big piece, nor would I necessarily consider another LHD as a piece we'd be after overly aggressively with what we have already and Broberg in the system.

It's really difficult to figure out a package that might make sense, but it might look something along the lines of 1st+Neal f0r Gallagher+2020 1st+Primeau+...I dunno, Caufield? Poehling and a couple 2nds?

The more I wrote the less I liked it to be honest. The whole thing falls apart if we don't have Gallagher in the fold long term. The only reason we'd deal it is for immediate, but sustained, improvement and some cap relief.

I would be good with that kind of package. Would suck to lose Gallagher but at the other end, we get what most Habs fans believe is the cure ofr our organization.

I really think Gallagher would absolutely resign with Oilers, playing with McDavid and Draisitl and near is hometown.

Though, if Gallagher is a part of the package, i would have a problem including Caufield as our RW depth would consist of Armia and...

Lafrenière + Neal
for
Gallagher, 2020 1st, Primeau, Poehling, 2 x 2nds

I would be down with it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I would be good with that kind of package. Would suck to lose Gallagher but at the other end, we get what most Habs fans believe is the cure ofr our organization.

I really think Gallagher would absolutely resign with Oilers, playing with McDavid and Draisitl and near is hometown.

Though, if Gallagher is a part of the package, i would have a problem including Caufield as our RW depth would consist of Armia and...

Lafrenière + Neal
for
Gallagher, 2020 1st, Primeau, Poehling, 2 x 2nds

I would be down with it.

seeing it in writing doesn't help me with it much. I'm not necessarily too keen on Poehling's upside and if Gallagher walks that kinda just leaves us with a bunch of B pieces. Extended Gallagher might get it done but as it stands I wouldn't do it.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
seeing it in writing doesn't help me with it much. I'm not necessarily too keen on Poehling's upside and if Gallagher walks that kinda just leaves us with a bunch of B pieces. Extended Gallagher might get it done but as it stands I wouldn't do it.

Yeah off course Gallagher would have to come with an extension. No doubt about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad