Confirmed with Link: 1st Overall - Aaron Ekblad (signed 9/3/14)

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
:laugh: So much wrong with this post, especially everything after the first sentence, except for the 'It's very early and he looks great'. I found myself typing a whole bit, finding that I left some out, erasing, starting again…
How bout this- He ain't Huberdeau and he ain't Barkov and he ain't anyone but Aaron Ekblad…welcome to the laughed at group my dude!! Kid's only gonna get better and better, he's not a fluke, and there's easy explanations for why.
I don't really understand why you're gloating about this and I doubt anyone would be doing the same if Ekblad had failed to make an impact and/or struggled severely.

The majority of us based their opinion on history, rarely does an 18yo defenceman jump into the NHL and make an immediate impact like Ekblad has. Going with draft reports and highlight footages, without actual game footage, it's hard to grasp how ready a player is and what can be expected from that said player.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I don't really understand why you're gloating about this and I doubt anyone would be doing the same if Ekblad had failed to make an impact and/or struggled severely.

The majority of us based their opinion on history, rarely does an 18yo defenceman jump into the NHL and make an immediate impact like Ekblad has. Going with draft reports and highlight footages, without actual game footage, it's hard to grasp how ready a player is and what can be expected from that said player.

:nopity: The majority was so solid on something you were horribly (and thankfully) wrong about. I'm not gloating, I'm throwing it in the faces of those who thought it was so crazy to think this was remotely possible. His highlight vids weren't like that of Datsyuk either, they were most telling of how he handles himself. The draft reports said the same. Those guys watched full games of his, no?

Kinda pointless to state the obvious in that nobody would gloat if he wasn't what he was said to be. More pointless to be sour about it. Honestly, if I were in your shoes I'd be happy to eat crow on this one.

Again, I'm (gloating) because I never even guaranteed that he would be this good, but that I laughed when you said it was crazy for me to think he could.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
While I love Ekblad there's always the Panthers prospect curse. Do you remember how high we were with Huberdeau 2 years ago or how about with Barkov last year? Barkov was praised as such a mature player for his age and all the skills and whatnot. While i'm not writing Barkov off he just seems to be missing IT this season and Hubs has been missing it for 1+ seasons now. What's not to say Ekblad will run into the curse next season?
He's not a forward with different expectations. Defense is a totally different ball game. Even with a Garrison like shot he would never get 50 goals and that's not a bad thing for anyone. Mike Green got a buncha goals one year, but he was and is a poor defenseman. I don't see Ekblad like either of them and that should be ok and it's pointfully useless to mention Garrison or Green.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
That is a fair point. Although Barkov seems to have found 'it' again in the last couple of games.

yepp agree! barkov is gonna pick it up. love how playing with kopy & upshall gave him a little more confidence. now let's just hope he can find chemestry with some player with a little more skill so the points will grow.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
:nopity: The majority was so solid on something you were horribly (and thankfully) wrong about. I'm not gloating, I'm throwing it in the faces of those who thought it was so crazy to think this was remotely possible. His highlight vids weren't like that of Datsyuk either, they were most telling of how he handles himself. The draft reports said the same. Those guys watched full games of his, no?

Kinda pointless to state the obvious in that nobody would gloat if he wasn't what he was said to be. More pointless to be sour about it. Honestly, if I were in your shoes I'd be happy to eat crow on this one.

Again, I'm (gloating) because I never even guaranteed that he would be this good, but that I laughed when you said it was crazy for me to think he could.
For the record, I don't personally recall calling you crazy, but the idea (hell, I can't even recall if it was you who said it or someone else) of leaning towards an 18yo defenceman jumping straight into the NHL and making an impact. Putting too much pressure on young d-men usually doesn't work.

And oh, I'm happily eating crow with the way Ekblad has played. This "laughed at" group is just unnecessary and if I may say, classless.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
For the record, I don't personally recall calling you crazy, but the idea (hell, I can't even recall if it was you who said it or someone else) of leaning towards an 18yo defenceman jumping straight into the NHL and making an impact. Putting too much pressure on young d-men usually doesn't work.

And oh, I'm happily eating crow with the way Ekblad has played. This "laughed at" group is just unnecessary and if I may say, classless.

No, I wasn't called crazy, and I don't think class has any place either way here. I kinda think you're wrong in trying to make it so. "Laughed at" group, all this being completely playful, is just a label nobody should be at all offended by.

I never argued that it usually doesn't work either, I just argued that it doesn't guarantee application to this particular player who has immediately shown something unique.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
So as Aaron is approaching that 300 game mark (which is commonly referred to as the end of defenseman’s development curve, when they can be judged as an NHLer). Where are we at with him?

To me, his career has kind of been a roller coaster so its hard to judge right now. Started off so hot with the calder year and looking like a true #1, future norris type. Then the concussion scares really set him back. But here he is likely to score over 15 goals this year and is really starting to look solid defensively against tougher matchups.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
This guy at his worst is a top 4 D who can pot 15-20 goals; but he could be the best defenseman in the league someday. As this is his first year playing heavy minutes against top lines, it's still an adjustment year for him. After 2-3 years of these #1 Dman responsibilities under his belt, once he starts doing all that stuff automatically, and with more foot speed, (he's improved this season, but it's not enough) I think we're going to start seeing the more "Erik Karlsson" side of Ekblad and more stuff like this will happen

Also, ever notice when the game is on the line and he's hungry to score, he's visibly the most aggressive player on the ice? That determination and willpower is going to translate nicely to playoff hockey. Me thinks by the time all is said and done we're going to be very pleased with his contract. Time will tell. Stay healthy, EK.

Reactions: Depch

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
This guy at his worst is a top 4 D who can pot 15-20 goals; but he could be the best defenseman in the league someday. As this is his first year playing heavy minutes against top lines, it's still an adjustment year for him. After 2-3 years of these #1 Dman responsibilities under his belt, once he starts doing all that stuff automatically, and with more foot speed, (he's improved this season, but it's not enough) I think we're going to start seeing the more "Erik Karlsson" side of Ekblad and more stuff like this will happen

Also, ever notice when the game is on the line and he's hungry to score, he's visibly the most aggressive player on the ice? That determination and willpower is going to translate nicely to playoff hockey. Me thinks by the time all is said and done we're going to be very pleased with his contract. Time will tell. Stay healthy, EK.

While I'm a huge Ekblad fan, Brokin said we should expose Ek, and he called Mascherin not signing. So it's safe to say we'll be exposing Ek in 2020

Reactions: Kid Icarus

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Aaron Ekblad has arrived.

Come at me.

Glad we didn't trade him a couple years ago.... I remember the rallying cries to move him asap. Patience paid off for Ekblad, if he keeps this up he's definitely become a low end #1D. The skating will always keep him from reaching that ELITE #1D status.

He is literally running the show back there now, everything runs through him 5 on 5 and all the practice puck handling in his garage has been the most noticeable change to his game.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Glad we didn't trade him a couple years ago.... I remember the rallying cries to move him asap. Patience paid off for Ekblad, if he keeps this up he's definitely become a low end #1D. The skating will always keep him from reaching that ELITE #1D status.

He is literally running the show back there now, everything runs through him 5 on 5 and all the practice puck handling in his garage has been the most noticeable change to his game.

He only gets in trouble with his skating when there is a broken play. When he has to make a quick turnaround etc. I still believe expanding the garage will help with the acceleration.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Not sure if anyone else watched the Minnesota game on the Minnesota feed, but their colour commentator, Wes Waltz, said the Panthers are good from all their top three picks lately. Other than Aaron Ekblad, everyone is good, he is a bust.

Glad he said it on TV for the record.

He's nowhere near a bust. Maybe if he was Erik Karlsson and put up 70 pts a year, but can't defend worth anything, he wouldn't be a bust? Lol.

He's had 10+ goals 5 years in a row and there's only a handful of D in the league over that time frame who have accomplished that. He also doesn't get much PP time at all and is on pace for a career high 45-50 pts while leading the team in +/- (and probably TOI - I'm guessing)...guy has no clue what he's talking about.

Walz had a career high 38 points as a forward and Ekblad surpassed that as an 18-year old D ha.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
He's nowhere near a bust. Maybe if he was Erik Karlsson and put up 70 pts a year, but can't defend worth anything, he wouldn't be a bust? Lol.

He's had 10+ goals 5 years in a row and there's only a handful of D in the league over that time frame who have accomplished that. He also doesn't get much PP time at all and is on pace for a career high 45-50 pts while leading the team in +/- (and probably TOI - I'm guessing)...guy has no clue what he's talking about.

Walz had a career high 38 points as a forward and Ekblad surpassed that as an 18-year old D ha.
Walz said Ekblad wasn't a "hit" because he never even got 40 points. It's a really silly measure, but he didn't call him a bust.

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Walz said Ekblad wasn't a "hit" because he never even got 40 points. It's a really silly measure, but he didn't call him a bust.
My bad, I knew though it wasn't positive what he said. I wasn't about to re-watch the game to find what was that exactly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->