1st contracts post ELC

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I was thinking this morning about how clubs are managing their 2nd contracts with promising players, and was a bit shocked to see what Ottawa did for Chabot, who is signing his extension almost one year early.

So here is my question:

What would you offer Victor Mete in AAV if you had to offer an 8-year extension starting next September? I don't think we have anyone else in that category, i.e. a guy with NHL experience and starting his 3rd year pro. Noah Juulsen has the injury issue, and neither Evans nor Vejdemo have NHL experience, nor even two years pro. They would never get a long extension.

So, Victor Mete - 8 years, how much?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Mete himself will refuse a 8 year contract.

But hey, if we can lock him to for a 2.25M deal for 8 years, sure. That just won't happen.

Reactions: David Suzuki

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I was thinking this morning about how clubs are managing their 2nd contracts with promising players, and was a bit shocked to see what Ottawa did for Chabot, who is signing his extension almost one year early.

So here is my question:

What would you offer Victor Mete in AAV if you had to offer an 8-year extension starting next September? I don't think we have anyone else in that category, i.e. a guy with NHL experience and starting his 3rd year pro. Noah Juulsen has the injury issue, and neither Evans nor Vejdemo have NHL experience, nor even two years pro. They would never get a long extension.

Mete didn't earned a 8 years deal and Mete doesn't want a 8 years deal either at this point.

Those kind of deals are only for franchise players

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
For 8 years I would go up to 4 million aav right now. At worst it's a bit pricey for a 5, at best it's a steal for a 2.

Reactions: DangerDave

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
You’d only really do that with a star/budding superstar. This is more relevant to KK next summer if he has a crazy yr like Chabot did - ie 70+ pt season.

If Mete has a good yr and further establishes himself as a good partner for Weber and a top 4 guy I’d look to give him a 5 yr deal around $3.5m

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I doubt he'd go for 8 years but if he does that would be pretty nice. Pretty sure we could snag him for like 3.5M.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If I'm being honest, I wouldn't sign Mete for 8 years.
I also would not, but I would not have done 8 years for Chabot either based on a stretch of 60 good games in his 21 year old year.

So I thought it would be a fun exercise. Personally, if I HAD TO give Mete 8 years, or have to trade him, which I know is not the real choice, I would offer about $2.75M.

Reactions: Tuggy

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

So here is my question:

Too early yet for me to sign Mete for 8 years. May work out but when Weber was out he was a fringe NHL d-man. Just see no need to rush

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad