Prospect Info: Cayden Primeau

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Imo nothing is a draft win until it affects the NHL team positively, whether the player is ablr to perform at the nhl level or is traded for someone who is - or if Primeau were to be traded for better than a 7th round pick.
So you don't think Primeau's performance so far at the WJC's has helped increase his stock?

I'd beg to differ...I'm not saying that teams are lining up to trade for him, but he's put himself on the map as a legitimate goaltending prospect at a position that's scarce for quality.

As a 7th round pick...to me, that's a draft win as you don't expect that from such a late pick. From a 7th round pick, to being one of the top goalies in the NCAA's as a freshman, to now backstopping the US to a potential gold medal...

That's a draft win for me.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
So you don't think Primeau's performance so far at the WJC's has helped increase his stock?

I'd beg to differ...I'm not saying that teams are lining up to trade for him, but he's put himself on the map as a legitimate goaltending prospect at a position that's scarce for quality.

As a 7th round pick...to me, that's a draft win as you don't expect that from such a late pick. From a 7th round pick, to being one of the top goalies in the NCAA's as a freshman, to now backstopping the US to a potential gold medal...

That's a draft win for me.

His stock has definitely increased. But if we don't cash in it's not a win. We will likely keep him. If he makes it, it's a win. If he doesn't make it and we don't trade him for a pick or a player that does make it before he fades, the result is nothing.

Just look at McNiven. He was CHL goalie of the year and he looked like a win. But now his trade value is nothing. If we had traded him when he had value it would have been a win. Now he's just nothing, a career AHLer likely.

i.e. in short Primeau is a prospect with trade value that we won't likely trade. So his only value is if he makes the NHL or not. So for me, I'll wait to call it a win if he makes it or not - or in the unlikely scenario he is traded.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
His stock has definitely increased. But if we don't cash in it's not a win. We will likely keep him. If he makes it, it's a win. If he doesn't make it and we don't trade him for a pick or a player that does make it before he fades, the result is nothing.

Just look at McNiven. He was CHL goalie of the year and he looked like a win. But now his trade value is nothing. If we had traded him when he had value it would have been a win. Now he's just nothing, a career AHLer likely.

i.e. in short Primeau is a prospect with trade value that we won't likely trade. So his only value is if he makes the NHL or not. So for me, I'll wait to call it a win if he makes it or not - or in the unlikely scenario he is traded.
I'd argue they've already cashed in

Reactions: jaffy27

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Just looking at his position I think Primeau is a better prospect than McNiven. Now I don’t know his future but we’ll see in a few years. I do see a lot of Cory Schneider in Primeau.

Reactions: Drouin92

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
7th round picks don't typically have a surge in value the way Primeau has, presumably...

Fair or not, the WJC's are big showcase... and he's backed up a pretty impressive performance as a freshman last year, with a silver/gold performance as the #1 goalie for the US this year.

Again, this isn't typical for 7th round picks. The likelihood of a pick that late succeeding is extremely low, see null.

Even if he plays 1 NHL game for the Habs or any team, it's more than anyone could have expected.

So to me...that equals draft win.

Reactions: cphabs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
7th round picks don't typically have a surge in value the way Primeau has, presumably...

Fair or not, the WJC's are big showcase... and he's backed up a pretty impressive performance as a freshman last year, with a silver/gold performance as the #1 goalie for the US this year.

Again, this isn't typical for 7th round picks. The likelihood of a pick that late succeeding is extremely low, see null.

Even if he plays 1 NHL game for the Habs or any team, it's more than anyone could have expected.

So to me...that equals draft win.

I agree with everything you said. Just for me I want results. His value is higher that a 7th round pick now. If we were to trade him say for a 3rd round pick - or anything better than a 7th - that's a win (at least drafting him was a win, but if he goes on to become a number 1, trading him for a 3rd is a loss).

But at any rate, if he goes on to putter away like McNiven and have no trade value, what's the difference between him and any other 7th rounder or draft pick that busts? To me nothing.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing how his developmental trajectory goes. Definitely nice to have a draft choice excelling.

I think we're debating semantics of what a "win" is. Yes, he's doing great - even if he was a 2nd rounder I'd be happy with how he's turning out. I'm just one to wait on prospects since we've seen many promising prospects become stars and many fade into busts.

Reactions: 417

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
We have a great goalie prospect. Absolute steal in the seventh round. Our scouting staff was right on the money the past two drafts. Kotka, Poehling, Romanov, Brook, Ylönen and Primeau in two drafts is pretty good. Redeeming themselves for some brutal first round picks in 2013 and 2014.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We have a great goalie prospect. Absolute steal in the seventh round. Our scouting staff was right on the money the past two drafts. Kotka, Poehling, Romanov, Brook, Ylönen and Primeau in two drafts is pretty good. Redeeming themselves for some brutal first round picks in 2013 and 2014.
We needed to hit a few doubles and triples...nice to see.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
At least in 2013 Lehks is looking like that late first round pick.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Wondering if he’ll sign with Montreal or extend his NCAA career to end up RFA and pick whatever team he wants to play for, i think with prices contract its a legitimate question.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hope he can build off an impressive showing at the WJC's. I thought going in was a lock to be the starter, so was a bit surprised when he wasn't. But to give up only 6 goals in his last 4 games is damn impressive although the funny part is in the NCAA after a rough patch in his last 4 games before the WJC's he gave up just 6 goals (although not against very good teams). Before that he gave up 15 goals in 4 games.

Wondering if he’ll sign with Montreal or extend his NCAA career to end up RFA and pick whatever team he wants to play for, i think with prices contract its a legitimate question.

He can't go UFA until August 15th, 2021. So Price would have 5 years left on his deal but Primeau would know he'll need a few yeas in the AHL first so he would be looking at say 2-3 years of Price being under contract and being a backup to Price at least in one of those years would be good for him.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
At least one person has this concern for every Habs NCAA prospect yet it never happened... A drafted NCAA player goes the UFA route once every 3/4 years. I’m not worried at all about Primeau.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Hope he can build off an impressive showing at the WJC's. I thought going in was a lock to be the starter, so was a bit surprised when he wasn't. But to give up only 6 goals in his last 4 games is damn impressive although the funny part is in the NCAA after a rough patch in his last 4 games before the WJC's he gave up just 6 goals (although not against very good teams). Before that he gave up 15 goals in 4 games.

He can't go UFA until August 15th, 2021. So Price would have 5 years left on his deal but Primeau would know he'll need a few yeas in the AHL first so he would be looking at say 2-3 years of Price being under contract and being a backup to Price at least in one of those years would be good for him.

He gonna have all the time to developpe with Price here and that's a good news ! Could we see a Luongo/Schneider type of duo in 4-5 years ? Maybe

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pretty sure NHL GM's will be calling Bergevin asking about Primeau if he keeps up what he has been doing. His age and development years fits Price's contract. He can be back-up to Price at age 23-25 ish and possibly replace him when Price is 38.

However, if some team wants to give us full value and address a team need of ours, I do consider the trade. I don't think we should be ignoring Price/Weber window to win 100%. It's something we need to evaluate as time moves forward and we get to see how fast our prospects make impacts in the NHL. The next 1 or 2 years will reveal a lot

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Ya lets just trade prospects all the time when they are hot...lets trade Suzuki while we are at it, etc.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Ya lets just trade prospects all the time when they are hot...lets trade Suzuki while we are at it, etc.

Not at all. My point is simple: IF he doesn't make it the pick wasn't a win. I don't care how good he looks now. That doesn't make the pick a win. My post was in response to someone saying the pick is already a win. The only thing that makes it a win is if he actually does something for this team at the NHL level - or, since he was a 7th round pick, if he's traded for something better than a seventh round pick.

The point is: don't count your chickens before they hatch - and unless they hatch they're useless. Just like D'Agostini, McNiven, etc.. that these players looked good at certain points in their development means nothing. They didn't make it. Can't call them wins. And you can't call a player a win until they've done something to help the team at the NHL level.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Not at all. My point is simple: IF he doesn't make it the pick wasn't a win. I don't care how good he looks now. That doesn't make the pick a win. My post was in response to someone saying the pick is already a win. The only thing that makes it a win is if he actually does something for this team at the NHL level - or, since he was a 7th round pick, if he's traded for something better than a seventh round pick.

The point is: don't count your chickens before they hatch - and unless they hatch they're useless. Just like D'Agostini, McNiven, etc.. that these players looked good at certain points in their development means nothing. They didn't make it. Can't call them wins. And you can't call a player a win until they've done something to help the team at the NHL level.

I get it but McNiven is still young and things could change. It's not like the team is looking to replace Price tomorrow and it is hard to predict how a player will make the jump from junior/college to the minors and then NHL. It's not like McNiven would have been worth a whole lot even before he joined the Rocket last year.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I get it but McNiven is still young and things could change. It's not like the team is looking to replace Price tomorrow and it is hard to predict how a player will make the jump from junior/college to the minors and then NHL. It's not like McNiven would have been worth a whole lot even before he joined the Rocket last year.

I'm not in favor of trading Primeau - unless, like any other player, someone offers something that we (i.e. the scouts) project to be better.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wasn't expecting a Baker nomination, that's real nice. Freshman don't often get the nod, almost never in fact.

It's likely based more off that great Freshman year as his Sophmore year hasn't been as good since he's 21st in the NCAA in gaa.

I remember when Higgins was up for it in his Sophmore year, he was one of the top 10 finalist which is usually where you don't see Freshman get it. I don't see Primeau making the top 10, as I think his teammate Davies is having a better year and looking like a nice pickup for NJ for a 7th rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad