1999 WJC Gold Medal Game

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I haven't come across any other games on youtube but they probably exist. Not of that tournament though.

I love Luongo's reaction when he lets in the game winning goal and then the Russians celebrating right in front of him!

I miss Paul Romanuk doing the play by play.

Here are the pools. Pool A was stacked! Canada finished in eight spot in 1998 which caused that. Canada scored 10 goals in their four games in their pool and then exploded for six goals against Sweden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_World_Junior_Ice_Hockey_Championships#Group_A

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It was a very good game, but it was a game that Russia dominated. I remember just waiting for the time when Canada would start to explode but it never happened. The Russians had some very good skill on that team and Canada just simply couldn't counter. Off the top of my head the shots were something like 45-17 including overtime in favour of Russia.

They had some life after the Bryan Allen goal tied it up but that was it. I think that tournament gave Daniel Tkaczuk a name for himself and Simon Gagne was fabulous as well. Now that you look back at it the defense and goaltending for Canada was actually pretty good, but the forwards lagged behind a bit. Jason Ward, really? This was also a time when Luongo played out of his mind, even in a loss. In over 10 years in the NHL we have yet to see that caliber of play in a crucial game from him since.

nutbar

Jan 19, 2011
Hard to believe that Roman Lyashenko committed suicide just four years later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->