TINA FEY, HAM AND CHEESE
DAFFY DUCK
DAFFY DUCK

Reactions: BigMac1212

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Have to admit, this is a bit of a mindf*** for me.

Generational FPS or what equates to an average game in the FF series. Doesn't say much about the year in video games.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
This is tough. For me, Goldeneye was the bigger game for me at the time of their respective releases by a country mile, but I also think it's one f the worst-aging games of all time. Have to give it the narrow edge for the at the time enjoyment, I guess, as FFVII was overshadowed by both FFVI and FFIX in my head during that era, too.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Goldeneye was the game of 97 by a mile. Everyone had to have it

The only person I knew who liked it was like... one of my cousins.

Every time people talk about it I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone. Maybe it was just my neighborhood.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
If it's between these two, then it's clearly FFVII.

Beyond it's obvious importance to the growth of the genre, FFVII still holds up today as an enjoyable RPG, despite its flaws.

If you play Goldeneye today, it's basically unplayable trash, and frankly, I'd argue it's long-term importance to the genre was very quickly usurped by Halo.

So it loses on both counts, quality and importance.

Last edited:

member 157595

As others have said, these are two of the most influential games ever. FFVII brought RPG's into the mainstream outside of Japan, and Goldeneye popularized the console FPS especially when it comes to multiplayer. However, playing Goldeneye today is a chore, while FFVII is still as playable as ever IMO, and that to me is the deciding factor when both games are as influential as they are. I have no problem with those that believe otherwise.

I had Symphony of the Night in the 1997 poll anyways.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I still remember the endless commercials for Final Fantasy 7 during the Muchmusic Countdown. Actually the Muchmusic countdown was often sponsored by Playstation. I remember seeing a lot of Jet-Moto.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Goldeneye FTW

FF VII is the start of the end for FF really: a good game but such a massive step back from FFVI. FFIX offered a glimmer of hope then we got... FFX.... What a disaster of a game that was.

Reactions: McRpro

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I thought Goldeneye was an crappy glorified party game, even at the time, personally, whose influence is overstated, and has held up about as badly as just about any game I can think of. I've never really considered it good, period.

Final Fantasy VII is a supremely unpolished and messy game. Almost all of the little extraneous details are done poorly (localization, polygons, convolutedness, and mini-games in particular), but the core spirit of what it is is still great/timeless, and holds up very well, IMO. You still get a genuinely inspired feeling experiencing it, and can feel moved by the ambition and scale. I mean, the music alone...

Its influence/impact is massive and undeniable, but I don't really even care about that side of it. While innovation matters, influence is an overrated consideration as a whole, IMO. It's just another type of popularity. If we're giving these games credit for "popularizing the genre", then we might as well soullessly compare their sales numbers and treat that as if it matters in this kind of discussion.

I don't think nostalgia matters either, personally. Who cares whether or not we had fun with them when we were all easily amused idiots who didn't know any better? What matters is what we think of them now, with the benefit of hindsight.

Neither are as good as Symphony of the Night, which on top of feeling inspired, is actually a tight and refined game without the massive holes that these games have, IMO.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I don't think nostalgia matters either, personally. Who cares whether or not we had fun with them when we were all easily amused idiots who didn't know any better? What matters is what we think of them now, with the benefit of hindsight.

Why would anything except the amount of fun you had with it matter? Is that not the purpose of games?

Neither are as good as Symphony of the Night, which on top of feeling inspired, is actually a tight and refined game without the massive holes that these games have, IMO.

Hush you. We had our chance, and both of our games lost. :laugh:

Reactions: Bean Drown

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Agreed that SotN is a better game but it didn't get anywhere near the exposure these two did (2D was pretty uncool in the late 90's) so it never really had a chance. I missed the vote but looking at the thread, my vote for SotN would not have changed that hehe.

SotN was way too easy though, that's about the only thing you can hold against that game.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Why would anything except the amount of fun you had with it matter? Is that not the purpose of games?
For me, the purpose of video games, like any other creative medium, really, is complete, lasting satisfaction and reward, not temporary fleeting enjoyment that you can cheaply consume and throw away, personally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Realgud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->