1995 NHL Draft on NHL Network right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
PecaFan said:
Berard, Redden, etc.

Repeated at 10:00pm Pacific tonight, and 4:00am and 10:00am tomorrow.

It's the draft week on NHL network so theres the 1996 draft tomorrow at the same time, the 1997 draft wednesday...

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
This was the first draft I ever watched. I remember being quite excited when the Devils snatched up Sykora. Interesting quotes should come from:

- Edmonton's braintrust for picking Steve Kelly
- Dallas' comments on picking Jarome Iginla
- San Jose's on picking project Teemu Riihijarvi

9 years later and only 5 guys are on the team that drafted them (Doan, McKee, Biron, Gauthier, Morozov).

Dr_Chimera*

Bob says Aki Berg is more offensive than Wade Redden.

LOL - I know it's easy to laugh about that now.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Alfredo_Garcia said:
Take Doan, Sather - take Doan.

Blame Barry Fraser for a lot of that.

Doan! Doan! Doan!

Then:

Booooo!

Man those are horrible memories... :cry:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'd be interested in hearing what comments (if any) they have to make about Morozov.

Fincan

Aug 1, 2002
LordStanleysPlace
Visit site
Some interesting stuff.

McKenzie and co. were talking abou how big and strong Dvorak was. He is not a wimp, but not what I would consider a big strong player. Maybe he was expected to add more height o bulk or was strong for his age at the time.

5 of the top 11 players were from Alberta (Redden, Doan, McKee, Langkow, Iginla) and 6 were from the WHL (Kelly). Actually this makes it even a little more surprising that the Oil took Kelly as they ususally have an attraction to local boys.........maybe less so back then though, well he had speed and that is another thing they have always been crazy about.

Nobody was thanking the Oilers for hosting like it seemed everybody did last year. Did teams not do this back then or were the Oilers just bad hosts :)

The Doan chants were not as loud and numerous as I remembered.

How long after the draft were Berard and Redden dealt for each other? This has probably been covered before but do you think that Redden was Ottawas man from the start, but they thought they might have had a deal in place which eventually fell through? Therefore the deal was made to give both Ott and the Isles their number 1 guy.

When Dvorak was drated, they were saying that the Kings were really high on him and were even considering taking him 3rd overall..............would have been better off taking the leap of faith hey, well hindsight is 20/20 so its easy for me to say that. Still kind of makes LA fans have to kick themselves a bit, had they gone off the map like they considered they would have been ahead then with the safe pick.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Fincan said:
5 of the top 11 players were from Alberta (Redden, Doan, McKee, Langkow, Iginla) and 6 were from the WHL (Kelly). Actually this makes it even a little more surprising that the Oil took Kelly as they ususally have an attraction to local boys.........maybe less so back then though, well he had speed and that is another thing they have always been crazy about.

Actually, Redden was from Saskatchewan.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
How do I get NHL Network???!?!?!
:mad:
I need my NHL Network!
I have digital cable can I get it?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Dvorak was seen as a potential power forward. He has the size and wheels to do it, but the weight never really came and the mean streak was non-existent.

He's carved out a nice NHL career but with the exception of two years in NY, the end result has never been a reflection of the talent.

Fincan

Aug 1, 2002
LordStanleysPlace
Visit site
ok my bad. I knew he was from Lloyminister. I thought he was from the Alberta side, but I guess it was the Sask side. My sister was visiting so I was only half watching until pick 7.

Fincan

Aug 1, 2002
LordStanleysPlace
Visit site
Edge said:
Dvorak was seen as a potential power forward. He has the size and wheels to do it, but the weight never really came and the mean streak was non-existent.

He's carved out a nice NHL career but with the exception of two years in NY, the end result has never been a reflection of the talent.

6'2, he has ok size but is not huge. I dunno, I look at him and he has fair size, but just does not have the frame of a Power forward IMO. That is why I was surprised at how much they focused on his physical potentiel.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
As I recall Berarb refused to play for the Senators, who were pretty poor at the time, so he was dealt to the Islanders for Redden. I think the Snes got a pick as well, but I'm not sure. In his first season Berard won the Calder.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Fincan said:
6'2, he has ok size but is not huge. I dunno, I look at him and he has fair size, but just does not have the frame of a Power forward IMO. That is why I was surprised at how much they focused on his physical potentiel.

Probably a result of distortion of information along the way. You know, you start by saying something and it ends up something totally different when you've passed it along a few times.

In the case of Dvorak, he was especially perceived as a skilled player with very good athleticism. Which is true. He is really a natural physically.

I think along the way this "physical edge" was somehow turned into "physical presence" and that is not really what he is.

Bopp

Apr 10, 2003
Visit site
Ryan looked good

As a Hab's fan, listening to the way they described Terry Ryan, I really can't say we should be disapointed in the pick. He looked good on paper and he was exactly what the Hab's needed. Too bad he didn't pan out. I still don't think the Habs made a bad choice...I think maybe Ryan made some bad choices.

Dr_Chimera*

Vlad The Impaler said:
Probably a result of distortion of information along the way. You know, you start by saying something and it ends up something totally different when you've passed it along a few times.

Same thing is happening this year because some so-called draft sources (you know who you are) are misinforming the public by calling the likes of Lauri Tukonen and Drew Stafford power forwards...
They are NOT power forwards - in fact, it doesn't look like there is a single one in the draft.

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
GB said:
As I recall Berarb refused to play for the Senators, who were pretty poor at the time, so he was dealt to the Islanders for Redden. I think the Snes got a pick as well, but I'm not sure. In his first season Berard won the Calder.

It was a 3 way deal:
Isles got: Berard, Straka, and Belanger
Sens got: Redden, Rhodes
Leafs got: Muller and Beaupre

Damian Rhodes and Ken Belanger traded to NY Islanders by Toronto for future considerations (Kirk Muller and Don Beaupre, January 23, 1996), January 23, 1996. Damian Rhodes and Wade Redden traded to Ottawa by NY Islanders with Wade Redden for Don Beaupre, Martin Straka and Bryan Berard, January 23, 1996.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad