1992-1993..Professional scouts rate the NHL players

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
What was Guy Carbonneau's rank?

Carbo was given a 19.

Thank you. How many players were rated and what was the rating at the midpoint.. If 600 were rated then #'s 299,300,301 received what score.

All NHL players were given a ranking score, but they weren't listed in order. The lists just went by teams.

I was wondering how Adam Graves was rated. Obviously he was not a star player but he was on his way up and next year he would have a massive breakout.

Graves was given a 19.

What was makarov and irbe? Intrested in irbe simply because in 92-93 around a third way into the year he was actaully leading the league in save percentage that I recall before he got injured lol.

Makarov - 22
Irbe - 16

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Another request, for a few Habs

Mike Keane
That was his best offensive season, by quite a good margin (for a Keane-like point producer anyways), with 60 pts : good enough for 2nd line duty on pretty much every team in the league, without even factoring in the never-say-die aspects of his game.

Stephan Lebeau
Another big-year guy -- many people tend to forget that the guy was a 1+PPG (actually, 1.13PPG) that season, and somewhat oft-overlooked in the grand scheme of things.

Eric Desjardins
The year where he established himself as, pretty much, a league-wide No.1 D-Men (not on par with guys like Bourque or McInnis). Schneider was oft-seen as the better player at this point.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Another request, for a few Habs

Mike Keane
That was his best offensive season, by quite a good margin (for a Keane-like point producer anyways), with 60 pts : good enough for 2nd line duty on pretty much every team in the league, without even factoring in the never-say-die aspects of his game.

Stephan Lebeau
Another big-year guy -- many people tend to forget that the guy was a 1+PPG (actually, 1.13PPG) that season, and somewhat oft-overlooked in the grand scheme of things.

Eric Desjardins
The year where he established himself as, pretty much, a league-wide No.1 D-Men (not on par with guys like Bourque or McInnis). Schneider was oft-seen as the better player at this point.

Keane - 17
Lebeau - 17
Desjardins - 18

seekritdude

May 3, 2009
www.facebook.com
lol all this talk about ratings makes me think about all the old NHL games from EA. I thought I remember one year(maybe it even was 93')they gave out a ton of 0s to player. I thought guy hebert and tony twist had a 0 for almost every stat in that game or something? ha it was like seriously they gave him a 0 in shot and shot power and passing.. what the hell happens when you try to do either...

*nerd mode out*

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
lol all this talk about ratings makes me think about all the old NHL games from EA. I thought I remember one year(maybe it even was 93')they gave out a ton of 0s to player. I thought guy hebert and tony twist had a 0 for almost every stat in that game or something? ha it was like seriously they gave him a 0 in shot and shot power and passing.. what the hell happens when you try to do either...

*nerd mode out*

Ya I remember that. NHLPA '93, before they had both player and team licenses(that started in '94), individual ratings could get as low as zero. Nowadays the lowest you see guys ranked is in the 50's. That expansion Senators team was god awful. :laugh:

JT Dutch*

I'd also be interested to know what score they gave Kelly Hrudey, one of the worst starting goalies of the early 90s.

... Clearly a top ten goalie is "one of the worst". Would it kill you to do some fact checking before making things up?

KH90-95.png

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
... Clearly a top ten goalie is "one of the worst". Would it kill you to do some fact checking before making things up?

KH90-95.png

Why won't you post a statistic that matters most for a goalie, wins? Things got so bad for Hrudey that the Kings had to bring in an IHL goalie in Rick Knickle in an effort to find some consistency in net.

To his credit, he found some consistency in the 93 playoffs, but that doesn't negate the number of backbreaking weak goals Hrudey was known to give up regularly with his gaping five hole.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Why won't you post a statistic that matters most for a goalie, wins? Things got so bad for Hrudey that the Kings had to bring in an IHL goalie in Rick Knickle in an effort to find some consistency in net.

To his credit, he found some consistency in the 93 playoffs, but that doesn't negate the number of backbreaking weak goals Hrudey was known to give up regularly with his gaping five hole.

Hrudey's 11th in wins over that time. Now, why would you want someone to post a statistic that relies on playing a lot of games behind good teams, rather than one about stopping pucks?
I don't think any of this shows that he was a particularly special goalie, but neither statistic supports your opinion of Hrudey.

Reactions: barbu

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Goalie perceptions from that era can be rather blinkered because a lot of goalies didn't look all that hot. I used to think Tim Cheveldae must have been the worst goalie to ever play in the league, turns out he was actually not terrible (though not great either).

JT Dutch*

Why won't you post a statistic that matters most for a goalie, wins?

... You misspelled "least". Because goalie wins is literally the worst number with which to judge goaltenders.

Things got so bad for Hrudey that the Kings had to bring in an IHL goalie in Rick Knickle in an effort to find some consistency in net.

... Hrudey's slump in '93 wasn't really a run of poor play but more of an up and down run of performance. Hrudey just had a rough month of February, but he'd already pulled out of it by the time March and April came around.

The Kings didn't really need to bring in Knickle when they did, but it was their prerogative. Maybe they felt Hrudey was injured and not telling anyone about it, and wanted some extra insurance? Maybe, with an expansion draft coming up after the season, they wanted to be OK in case one of the new teams took one of their goalies?

... Weak goals were certainly not limited to Hrudey in those playoffs. Mike Vernon was terrible, and Jeff Reese was worse. Kirk McLean definitely gave up some soft ones as well. Felix Potvin was tremendous at times and very shaky at other times. Even Patrick Roy gave up a couple of weak goals in the first two games of the '93 SCF.

Hrudey's save percentage in the '93 playoffs matched his percentage for the season. It's not like he underachieved. The Kings weren't known for their defense, they were giving up around 32-33 shots a night, with plenty of good chances against. Hrudey wasn't terrific or anything, but he was good. The point is that he wasn't close to being one of the worst goalies in the NHL in the early 90s - he was actually one of the best when compared to his peers.

JT Dutch*

Kurri ahead of Damphousse and Tinordi seems wrong to me.

... Keep in mind that the story for THN, if it was released in mid-January, was likely written at the beginning of January.

At that time, Kurri was having a terrific season. If you compare him at the beginning of January to Damphousse and Tinordi, this is what you find:

Kurri - 38 games, 17 goals, 41 assists, 58 points, 1.53 PPG, +17

Damphousse - 40 games, 20 goals, 27 assists, 47 points, 1.18 PPG, +5

Tinordi - 37 goals, 6 goals, 12 assists, 18 points, 0.49 PPG, -3

I think I'd have listed Kurri ahead of those two, also. Unfortunately for Jari, it seemed like he really tailed off after Gretzky came back - strange to say the least.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Hrudey's 11th in wins over that time. Now, why would you want someone to post a statistic that relies on playing a lot of games behind good teams, rather than one about stopping pucks?
I don't think any of this shows that he was a particularly special goalie, but neither statistic supports your opinion of Hrudey.

I had his 1993 season in mind when he had a total of 18 wins and appeared to be losing his starting role to a rookie backup at the time in Rob Stauber. His save percentage that JT Dutch posted was in the upper echelon of goaltenders because he faced so many shots on net. Hrudey even pokes fun at his own goaltending style and his gaping wide five-hole.

Hrudey also appeared to play in less games overall than some of the better starting goaltenders throughout the NHL and his year-to-year GAA average never came close to reaching the top ranks.

Hrudey never received any consideration for a Vezina and the reason why I nominate him as one of the worst starting goaltenders is simple. He never once had a 30-plus win campaign in a season, ever. Ask any coach, the greatest measuring stick to them is if your goalie can win games.

To address the post regarding Kurri, his numbers were very good for the first half of the season because he was getting top line minutes as the Kings' number one center, acting as the playmaker to Luc Robitaille. When Gretzky returned, Kurri had his minutes cut down and the Kings also would go on to acquire Jimmy Carson, shifting Kurri back to wing. Kurri started regressing after that season.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

*nerd mode out*

Shawn Chambers FTL!

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Ziggy, I haven't seen a post that's this many kinds of wrong in a while.

His save percentage that JT Dutch posted was in the upper echelon of goaltenders because he faced so many shots on net.

So your contention is that more SOG = higher sv%?

Hrudey also appeared to play in less games overall than some of the better starting goaltenders throughout the NHL and his year-to-year GAA average never came close to reaching the top ranks.

He was 4th in 1986 and 6th 1991... not great, but yeah, close to the top ranks. But why would you talk about GAA when there are sv% stats that cover his entire career? Hrudey was top-10 in sv% six times (2nd, 5th, 5th, 8th, 9th, 10th) and that's a much more important stat than GAA (and if you think sv% is crappy, consider that GAA is just the inverse of sv% - error rate - which you have to think is just as crappy - further bastardized by multiplying by shots against per game)

Hrudey also had his time as a minute muncher. He led the NHL in minutes in 1989, and was top-10 in 1990, 1992, and 1994. Strangely, he was only ever able to be top-10 in minutes and sv% at the same time once - 1992 (8th, 9th). Basically, he was a good, but not great goalie. Far from ever being the worst starter in the NHL.

Hrudey never received any consideration for a Vezina

Incorrect. He was 3rd in 1998 and 4th in 1991. He was 5th in 1986 with an insiginficant 3 votes, but still this means 3 NHL GMs found him to be a top-3 goalie that year.

Besides... even if you were right and he didn't get Vezina recognition, that doesn't necessarily make him a bad starting goalie when there are 21 of them and only about 5 get "consideration" for the Vezina. In any given season there would be about 10 goalies who would be neither "bad" nor "in contention for the Vezina" and in all seasons of Hrudey's career (aside from the four I mentioned above), he was in this class, generally near the top of it.

and the reason why I nominate him as one of the worst starting goaltenders is simple. He never once had a 30-plus win campaign in a season, ever.

In the first 9 full seasons of Hrudey's career, before 60+ games became the norm (1985-1993), there were a total of 29 30-win seasons posted by goalies.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=games_goalie

4 by Roy & Vernon, 3 by Cheveldae & Hextall, 2 by Belfour and one each by 13 other guys.

Mainly due to the fact that goalies platooned more than ever in history. On average three goalies won 30 games each season. Does the fact that Hrudey was never among them mean that he was "bad"?

I'm not going to get into 1994, as LA was awful, 1995 was a lockout season, and the first of four that Hrudey spent as the 2nd-oldest goalie in the NHL, on bad/developing teams.

Ask any coach, the greatest measuring stick to them is if your goalie can win games.

I'm pretty sure any coach wants a goalie who can stop pucks and do his part to help the team win games.

What an outdated way of thinking, and on the HOH list no less, my god.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
Why won't you post a statistic that matters most for a goalie, wins?

By that line of reasoning the worst starting goalies at that time were Peter Siedorkewicz, Jeff Hackett, Pat Jablonski, Bill Ranford and Sean Burke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad