1990 Flames/Kings Question

Al Bundy*

In 1990, the Flames and Kings were in overtime of Game 6 when Doug Gilmour scored a goal that should have been counted, yet the ref waived it off.

A Flames fan I met many years ago believes that it was a giant conspiracy.

He said to me, "The ref waived the goal off because he knew the NHL was trying to bend over backward for Gretzky and his Kings."

He actually believed that there was a conspiracy to favor Wayne Gretzky and his Kings.

I don't believe what he said, but I do wonder- did Calgary get ripped off?

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Well this was the start of their demise. Calgary spiralled in the postseason starting in 1990, and they didnt get it right again until 2004, even then you just assumed they'd choke in OT against the Nucks and lose.

Yeah with the 1990 goal it looked as if the ref may have blown the whistle by not being able to see the puck. Or it didnt cross the line or not, I'm not sure even looking at the play its hard to tell. If Calgary wins that game I believe they win the series in 7 back in Calgary. That was still very much like the 1989 team. Terry Crisp blew a gasket on the bench. I have never seen a funnier tantrum a coach has thrown in all of my life. His arms were waving up and down like a gorilla

Al Bundy*

with the 1990 goal it looked as if the ref may have blown the whistle by not being able to see the puck. Or it didnt cross the line or not, I'm not sure even looking at the play its hard to tell. If Calgary wins that game I believe they win the series in 7 back in Calgary.

Your thoughts on the claims of the Flames fan I knew?

P.S. Like my new signature? It's about something you and I have talked about before.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Your thoughts on the claims of the Flames fan I knew?

P.S. Like my new signature? It's about something you and I have talked about before.

lol, nice

I'm not so sure there was a conspiracy to help Gretzky. They got stomped by Edmonton convincly the next round.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
In 1990, the Flames and Kings were in overtime of Game 6 when Doug Gilmour scored a goal that should have been counted, yet the ref waived it off.

A Flames fan I met many years ago believes that it was a giant conspiracy.

He said to me, "The ref waived the goal off because he knew the NHL was trying to bend over backward for Gretzky and his Kings."

He actually believed that there was a conspiracy to favor Wayne Gretzky and his Kings.

I don't believe what he said, but I do wonder- did Calgary get ripped off?

What a sin that cooch got outed, he would have loved this one.;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad